PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei

Pages : [1] 2

74world
25th Jun 2003, 13:20
Hello,

Sorry guys if that topic has been covered before, but would anyone one knows the terms and conditions of employment of Royal Brunei Airlines?????

As you may be aware they are looking for drivers, this time it is NOT through Richworth.....

Thank you for your replies....:ok:

Tidan De Sheveld
25th Jun 2003, 19:04
Terms and Conditions gently sliding downhill

Flight Ops standards in general a shadow of the RBA under Capt Fox.

Engineering Standards still good

Morale low and will remain so as long as employees are kept in line through fear and free speech "discouraged"

Tidan De Sheveld
2nd Jul 2003, 02:09
Having said all that, latest rumours suggest CEO is having something done about organising a genuine crew rest compartment for the Frankfurt trips and is also actively backing a move to have the training bonds removed for long standing employees.

These are both positive items and would be welcomed by crews. Hopefully there is some truth to them, not only for the improvements themselves, but also the sign that someone in authority sees us as more than numbers.

Borneo Wild Man
2nd Jul 2003, 11:52
:eek: What about sheepskin seat covers-
Ohhhhh-feeling horny already! ! !

Chocks Away
5th Jul 2003, 08:47
74World,
I wonder what happened with the long standing Rishworth connection?:confused:
Any ideas?
:ok:

14U
5th Jul 2003, 10:53
COWPAT I have to agree with you except one point. I do not think that our local management are "out of their depth" I think that the term "lack experiance" would be more suited. They are working hard and have respect for us, and are always willing to chat. They have the same problem with the JC brick wall as we do, its amazing how many times the word "no" can be used in one sentence.

b777900
5th Jul 2003, 14:59
Conditons are not good at RBA.

No pay rises in 15 Years.
Wage freeze for past 2 years until company makes a profit.
(they cannot make a profit when it is used as an employment scheme)
To compensate for these unproductive staff, wage freeze, loss of allowances.
Days off now given downroute. 8 hour timezone changes, return in 5-7 days, Expect 1-2 days off in Bwn then off again. all for much less pay.

This is not a long term job anymore. Get some time then leave.

Things will pick up soon now that SARS, and the War is over.
Ok for short term stop if you cant get anywhere more secure, or better paid.

Up to here
6th Jul 2003, 22:09
Be careful COWPAT, too close & too obvious.

TogaLock
6th Jul 2003, 22:50
Could someone please post the details. What is the pay for captains and first officers on the A320? Also will an expat FO be upgraded when suitable for command?

slingsby
6th Jul 2003, 23:59
The short answer to promotion for expats is ''no''
The company is looking away from the expats and promoting locals. Only when you have 10K plus hours would you be considered for promotion, but then you wouldn't still be there then anyway. Conditions slipping and eroding away, CV's being sent daily. MF + DT come back, all is forgiven.

Up to here
7th Jul 2003, 13:28
Slingsby

Your handle says it all, (From Outer Space), really what planet ARE you from??

‘The short answer to promotion for expats is ''no''
The Company is looking away from the expats and promoting locals.’

The six guys currently on command courses, all expats. Out of the other six guys promoted within the past year, three were expats. I believe that that equates to 75% of the commands available over the past year (9 out of 12) going to expats.

“Only when you have 10K plus hours would you be considered for promotion”

Bull also; a number of the current command course participants have just cracked the 5,000 hr barrier.

“but then you wouldn't still be there then anyway”

By that I assume that you have already made the “right” decision, sent your CV off and are now glad you made the move. I’m sure others are too.

If you want to be controversial try a different angle & try and get the facts right first.

slingsby
7th Jul 2003, 16:14
Touched a nerve there, No controversy intended.

1998 company directive, CS148-02 stated that promotion trend should be directive to local crews. Captaincy promotion for expats to be phased out within 8 years and SFO within 5 years (also published in a BB news article). As with all great plans in WBSB plaza, it didn't go the way they expected, not enough locals were being recruited into the cadet scheme, and those who were (Gill & MH trained) weren't up to scratch (MF words not mine). Therefore along came Rishworth with an influx of very good expat crews. Yes, recent command structures have a trend towards the expat crews, but the list for next line command courses is local bias. Speaking to one bean counter back then, the board wanted eventually to phase out expats within a specific time frame, but local talent is short in availability so reliance on expats will continue for some time.
My current time with gold taps is 9 years + so I'm still on the inside and happy.
Planet zoid but staying away from Uranus

millerscourt
7th Jul 2003, 17:16
Slingsby You say you are happy in RBA!!?? Even without a payrise for 15 years and with all the other deteriorating terms and condition. How come???

Others like Cowpat who despite his complaints over at least the last 2 years still hangs on in there, don't see things your way!

If you are waiting for RBA to make a profit before matters improve then my guess is that day will never come!!

All Airline's T &C 's for ex-pats are going downhill..

Just look at SIA, Gulf Air ,Qatar, Kuwait Airways etc etc and see how low things have gotten. All taking advantage of the turmoil in countries like Canada,Belgium where aviation seems to becoming extinct.

Borneo Wild Man
7th Jul 2003, 18:48
Slingsby,its OK Ill let you turn the window heat off,when Im up their in a couple of weeks!

Hajj Man
8th Jul 2003, 10:54
Is Royal Brunei Airlines Hiring pilots at the present time? If so, where do you send a CV please?

Thanks.

Hajj Man

slingsby
8th Jul 2003, 23:11
My own departure clearance has been received, just waiting for start up, but due to atc delays I'm waiting and listening out.:D

FatEric
9th Jul 2003, 21:32
standby to watch most of MI's drivers jump ship - whats left of them anyway.

CatII
9th Jul 2003, 22:09
Whats the story about UK/JAA/NZL license only? Does that mean other ICAO license holders will not be considered!:confused:

Ttree Ttrimmer
10th Jul 2003, 07:51
You got it! There are no TRI's from anywhere other than UK and NZ certified to do recurrent training hence the requirement.

sexkitten118
10th Jul 2003, 13:09
Excuse my ignorance FatEric but who is MI?

Expert
10th Jul 2003, 18:20
sexkitten118

MI are Silk Air.

Ttree Ttrimmer

Not exactly correct. The Brunei DCA will only accept & validate UK/JAA or NZ licence holders, hence the fact that there is no requirement for RBA to have other than NZ & UK/JAA authorised examiners.

wandrinabout
11th Jul 2003, 15:57
Re the latest advertised vacancies for 319/320 drivers;

- I seem to recall that RB's order last year for the type was for 2x airframes. So are they recruiting for just 2, or are there now more frames on the way?

- The initial ad was for type rating only, now they are asking for 500 on type, any comments on this as to why the change??

Cheers in advance

millerscourt
11th Jul 2003, 18:05
Fat Eric I would not be so sure that any MI will go to RBA. I have the feeling that there is an unwritten agreement between SIA and RBA not to take each other's Pilots.

Brunei has vast sums of money in Singapore and that probably explains why no RBA pilot has ever joined SIA to my knowledge.

No SIA Pilot in his right mind would want to join RBA even now

B772
11th Jul 2003, 18:41
If my memory serves me correct Capt. NF joined SIA from RBA to fly the B777

Expert
11th Jul 2003, 19:34
AW also left RBA a while ago to fly the 777 with SQ

millerscourt
11th Jul 2003, 23:25
In that case I stand corrected. Were they actually still in RBA and went straight to SIA or had they already left???

Expert
12th Jul 2003, 08:37
They were both working for BI whilst going throught the SQ selection process.

millerscourt
12th Jul 2003, 15:09
Expert Oh well I guess the Sultan must have withdrawn his funds from Singapore to support his losses in RBA and that of his brother thus negating the need of Singapore worrying about upsetting him by poaching his Pilots!!.

I am just wondering why no RBA Pilots have joined SIA until recently??

samf
14th Jul 2003, 19:03
we haven`t really gotten the answer to the pay questions yet?
THe pay may be lower - but if there is no tax, and if they give You an apartment and more...? Or maybe they dont?
What about living in Brunei? Do You pendle from somewhere else or what? Is it possible to work like 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off? What about bringing Your wife and kids to Brunei - bad idea?
Could someone please give some concrete answers to a scandinavian, considering to flee the scandinavian tax madness??

millerscourt
15th Jul 2003, 00:41
samf Don't make the mistake of thinking that Airlines in countries where there is no tax necessarily make you better off financially at the end of the day as they all know how much they have to pay to get Pilots and where there is no tax the salary is reduced accordingly!!

You will merely be swapping one madness for another one.

Bus429
15th Jul 2003, 01:35
RBA's medical allowance is pitiful or now non-existent. Anyone considering a move there would be wise to take out medical insurance.
You may pay a lot of tax in Scandinavia but I imagine your health service, for example, is free at point-of-use. Millerscourt makes a good point.

samf
15th Jul 2003, 03:00
Yeah, Your points are taken...but I don`t think many of You realize, that the tax here is as high as it is! As a captain in one of the largest airlines up here, You get a salary around, say, 10.000 £ (plus pension and insurance), but after tax all thats left is around 3500 £. Yes, a roughly 65% is kept by the government before You even see Your money.
And then You have to pay all Your expenses for living, iwhich also is higher than most other places in the world (VAT on everything is 25%, cars are to be paid 2-3 times due to government fees etc.)
Therefore it could be interesting to make the comparison with the jobs in Brunei, Qatar, Dubai and other places, where it seems the optimism - and expansion lust - is coming back.
I also consider it to be an experience for the family to remember - (its not ALL about money).
In addition to my earlier questions - which haven`t really been answered yet: What about Islamic orders in Brunei - is it okay for the family, or is it quite restricting for the women for example?

Brgds Sam

Big Kahuna
15th Jul 2003, 10:55
samf asked a fairly simple question. Why is everyone avoiding giving an answer.

But here goes, regarding working 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. This does not seem to be possible even though it would be nice. From what I have seen, you get your 8 or so days off a month in Brunei and thats about it, other than the few other days you get in Dubai while working. They get good value for money out of you.

Accommadation is provided, most seen to be fairly reasonable.
As for moving your family to Brunei. Not a bad place at all, but it all depends on how old your kids are. It is reasonably safe.

Well thats about all I can help you with.

Perhaps Borneo wild man could shed some light on the remuneration package.

Best of luck.

COWPAT
15th Jul 2003, 15:20
SAMF,

You ask fair questions and rather than subject you to my opinions on top of everyone elses, please send me some form of contact email address for you and I will try to tell you everything that you have asked for without compromising the new "confidentiality" clause that has been inserted into all new contracts.

But keep looking elsewhere would be my advice. There is no future for an expat here at RBA.

samf
15th Jul 2003, 15:33
Thanks - on its way.
Sam

New Messenger
21st Jul 2003, 12:25
It might help you to know that the rate with the Pound (thats what I think you used) is about 2.95. I am told that the Brunei $ has slid about 25% in the last few years. We have had various cuts in our pay, and we await more. I can confirm that as far as I know there has never been a pay increase in the Airline. What you join on is what you will stay on, except if you move seats. It is only a few months ago that they terminated 6 guys contracts, including a Capt. So we now expect the unexpected as well as more cuts. Sorry to sound so down, but we are worked to the bone here at the moment.

Sheep Guts
21st Jul 2003, 12:40
I thought the majority of Pilots at Brunie are still expats?

Surley you still have a chance SAMF?

Or is the local onion turning it into a Local Crew only requirement. Thats what its like where I am in Jamaica. You can only get upgraded if your a local. So they employ Expat Captains only....

Cowpat confifentiality clauses aside, and being this an anomnymis forum ( spelling). Are there still people coming online or is all recruitiung stopped?

Regards
Sheep

COWPAT
21st Jul 2003, 15:04
Slots would appear to be available for DE Expat Captains for 2 reasons.

1. No locals to satisfy both experience and training criteria to promote.

2. Shortage of "volunteers" to go A319 until we know what the new long haul airplane will be. Difference in monthly allowances between 2 fleets will be about $1500 on average. Hence, DE Captain vacancies on A319.

But beware, as soon as the locals are fit to promote and you are coming to the end of your contract..........!

14U
22nd Jul 2003, 13:04
When the locals are ready for command, we should go, and just about all of us know and agree with that. I would agree that they were wrong to terminate so many pilots out of the blue with no valid reason given. But those are the risks of being here.

slingsby
22nd Jul 2003, 16:32
The two A340-500 have been finally signed for, delivery dates unknown but April04 is being sounded. Presently, the crewing rumour in the lead is for the guys on the other side of WBSB to crew initially, followed by locals currently on the A319 course. I hope thats wrong, it'll create very bad feelings. Source reliable.

B772
23rd Jul 2003, 10:21
Will the A319 and A340 crew be eventually CCQ.

Wings
24th Jul 2003, 00:37
Greetings from Toulouse where I am presently doing my A 320 type rating. This is the first time in a long time I have logged on to this thread and so much of what I have read here is either stuff I disagree with or know to be wrong.
Airbus personnel here have no knowledge at all about any Airbus 340 acquisition by RBA.
Since NONE of the F.O.s here are eligible for command for a time period that exceeds the length of my standard 3 year contract, why does this "promote the locals and then the expats will be out of a job" suddenly rear its head once again and take on such startling new relevance ?
True, RBA hasn't had a pay rise for more than 10 years that I know of, but sitting at a streetside bar discussing terms and conditions with pilots from numerous other airlines also doing Airbus courses, I come away feeling quitely contented with what I take home each month, my gratuity and the other terms and conditions I have. Fact. When talking take home pay and other conditions, we don't do too bad. Before people decide to argue this point, perhaps they might like to have an answer to the question "why are people who left RBA for greener pastures applying to return ?".
If I sound like a sychophant I can quite comfortably look you in the eye and say I'm not. I have been unemployed. I have worked for other airlines. I have seen remuneration packages offered by other airlines and contracting agencies. I have also had a decent pay packet go into my bank account every month without fail for the entire time I have been with RBA. I am not a sychophant, but I also do not bite the hand that feeds me and feeds me well.

slingsby
24th Jul 2003, 01:11
ILFC Singapore, lease arrangement, the same as the A319. A340 introduction dates to be April 04.

Howzit going MA, has AB bounced anything yet, SN should be ok, but CD, well keep shining the bone

canuk
24th Jul 2003, 05:06
I am thinking of RBA for a contract can I take my wife and kid and can I save money

Wings
24th Jul 2003, 22:56
Canuk, in response to your question, I believe you can.

In the time I've been here I've managed to buy 4 houses, and many other pilots have done similar. I think the largest number of houses acquired by an RBA pilot since about 1993 / 1994 is nine.
When I arrived here I had a wife, two children and a B 757 rating to pay off. So I came here with nothing and am doing all right. And no, I don't hide myself in a corner and hoard my money. We go on at least 2 overseas holidays each year and basically get what we want when we want it.
I haven't looked, but I imagine that if you went to the Pprune thread 'Terms and Endearment' there is probably RBA's remuneration package open for you to see.
If it's not there, contact the Independent Pilots Association, I think they have it.
Then do the maths yourself and answer your question yourself.

P.S. assuming you are Canadian, you should be aware that RBA will only accept U.K. and New Zealand A.T.P.L.s. If you have a Canadian or U.S. Licence, I'm afraid they won't entertain your application.
Cheers
Wings

beeyed bus
25th Jul 2003, 20:42
keep the info coming slingers, we're all watching with bated breath. come april we'll be putting our best goose step forward.

millerscourt
25th Jul 2003, 20:59
Wings I have some questions for you.

You say that when you joined RBA you had to pay off a 757 Rating ,wife and two children. How much did the wife and two children cost you????

You then went on to say that you joined with nothing. Do your wife and two children know that is what you think of them???

You then go on to say you have 4 houses. What is their value and what outstanding loans do you have on them???

Also as RBA have not had a payrise for years then when you joined the salary was obviously OK but even you looking through your rose tinted spectacles must agree that property prices and all other prices have increased hugely since you joined.

I also presume that RBA have service increments which mean your salary is a lot higher than new joiners??

The exchange rate for £stg to Sin Dollars and Brunei is another huge change for the worst as well which needs to be taken into account by newcomers.

I prefer to listen to people like COWPAT for the real story of RBA

GOH
25th Jul 2003, 21:58
Hi all

I just wanted to thank slingsby for all the information he has given everyone. I speak for myself when I say It is much appreciated (but i hope I speak for others too! :ok: ) I think RBA geting A340's will allow them to expand with London non stop and Frankfurt maybe...Also I just read about their new lounge being built:

"Royal Brunei Airlines Build New Premium Airport Lounge
Royal Brunei Airlines has begun renovations of the mezzanine floor at Brunei International Airport's departure hall to pave the way for the airline's new premium lounge.

The renovations which began on 17th July, are expected to end in December. In view of this, the Darussalam Business Class lounge has been closed, and Royal Brunei Catering's Coffee Garden has been relocated to the main departure hall near Royal Brunei's existing First Class lounge.

For the duration of the renovations, Royal Brunei's Business class passengers will be given invitations to its First Class lounge. However, in the event that the First Class lounge is full, Business class passengers travelling from Brunei will instead be provided meal vouchers upon check-in, for use at the Airport Restaurant.

The entire mezzanine floor will be converted into a world-class lounge for Royal Brunei's premium class passengers. Facilities such as a business centre, internet access, a prayer room with an ablution area and shower rooms are some of the features which will be available in the new lounge. This upgrading project is part of Royal Brunei's Strategic Plan.

Royal Brunei Airlines regrets any inconvenience that this may cause, and will try its best to minimise any unavoidable disruptions. "

--From the RBA website

http://www.bruneiair.com

Thanks again slingsby and everyone else, especially in my previous topic :ok:

Jim Morehead
25th Jul 2003, 22:19
For WINGS or anybody, why does Brunei NOT want US ratings? Not to single out any one country, what difference does it make for somebody who has a type rating from XXX country when the new airline is going to send you through THEIR school and procedures anyway?

I am very happy where I am now,but in my job search some 6-12 months ago I found this same restriction. It seems stupid to limit access to qualified pilots just because they have a rating from XXX country.

Does any one know why this is somewhat commonplace with some countries? I realize their are right to work lawas in some countries,but that should have nothing to do with a particular rating or where one got it initially.

Another thing I find interesting is that many employers expect you to be current on every airplane you ever flew or you are not eligible for "their" good graces. I have 4 type ratings and I could only be current in one at a type. I suppose if I was independently wealthy or owned an airline life might be different <bg>!

Big Kahuna
26th Jul 2003, 11:09
Jim Morehead your question has already been pretty much answered in this forum. Read pages 1 or 2 and you will most likely have your answer.

But to put it simply, my understanding why they only accept UK/JAA or NZ ATPL's, is because the Brunei DCA is run under contract by the UK CAA. The Brunei DCA can only issue a PPL I believe.

Hence it is fairly obvious why they accept UK/JAA licence holders.

The reason why they accept NZ licence holder may stem from the fact that Air New Zealand and the NZ CAA and a lot to do with helping RBA step up in the early days.

This is how it was told to me, happy to be corrected if it is not true.

Jim Morehead
26th Jul 2003, 12:44
BK...Actually I wasn't referring directly to Brunei or anywhere specifically. In my job search a year ago I encountered lots of roadblocks.

Many were:
Must have JAA license
Must be current on aircraft
Must have completed PC within 3-6 months
Must be able to work in XXX
Must be able to juggle 6 balls at once!(that's a joke)

My question is why is this all necessary when every airline is going to train you to their standards and their checklists and procedures.

An airline can't complain about a shortage of qualified pilots if they make the hoops too small. Many pilots are quite qualified,but may not be current on a given type. I do not qualify for a lot of 767/757 jobs because I flew it 10 years ago and last flew it in 1997 so I am ineligible for many airlines. Does that make me an less of a person???

There are many people with far more ratings than me, but I was only current on one airplane-747-400 in 2003. Everything else was between 3 and 10 years ago. Unless you want to go spend your days off renting 757s or 777s, it would be impossible (and frankly USELESS) to be qualified on these airplanes.

So life is a series or chances and luck, I suppose one would say.

JIM

Up to here
26th Jul 2003, 13:53
Jim

It may be the airlines complaining about the lack of qualified candidates for a particular vacancy, however this is often due to the restrictions imposed on them by the regulatory authorities.
Often this matter is out of their (the airlines) hands.

Jim Morehead
27th Jul 2003, 13:39
UP to HERE

thanks for the reply...Perhaps someone should tell some of the regulatory agencies what they lose by imposing unreasonable restirctions on pilots. I can say from experience that most guys who fly the Airbus products can fly a 320/319/330 and many who flew the 320 and upgrading/transitioning quite well to the 340. I wonder about the 380.

On the 757/767-200/767-300/777/400 airplanes, the Boeing guys know there are some differences,but the transitions have been relatively minor once you figure out the glass cockpits...

But thus far I have not encountered any country to produce pilots that have the monopoly on talent<bfg>!!!

Snot Box
28th Jul 2003, 03:07
On a different note, just wondering if any of you have any comments regarding my situation. I was born in Brunei, still hold my Brunei residency but now residing in Canada and have my Canadian ATPL/IR. With RBA wanting UK/JAA/NZ licenses, it's obvious to go and get licenses under those issuing states.

Just wondering if my situation would be different since I'm would or should not be considered an expat and being born in Brunei? or would it still be necessary to go through the same process like regular expats?

Thank you!

Up to here
28th Jul 2003, 08:39
Snot box:

It is more than likely that you would be considered more favourably for employment by RBA than an expat would. However, you would still ultimately need to comply with the Brunei DCA licensing requirements.

Why don’t you get in touch with the Company and explore the possibilities?

14U
31st Jul 2003, 13:56
Sorry but I have to reply to your comment on the "house buying" spree. Sounds like it our only objective here, and me and my mates cannot for one moment belive you have bought 4. Helped put down a deposit maybe? As for some pilot buying 9, well that would have taken a few foxey moves. Your comment about those who left and want to come back. Well as you will know several did come back, but they have all gone again (except 2 if I am correct, and one of them is about to retire so it does'nt make sense for him to go)

millerscourt
1st Aug 2003, 13:41
14U I agree with what you say re Wings and his 4 Houses after 9 years in RBA.

Anyone can buy 4 houses to let on 90% Mortgages.

10 Years of a full RBA Salary wouldn,t buy my house in the South East of UK.

By all accounts RBA have not had a payrise for 10 years and just like so many other Airlines they are taking full advantage of the Pilot situation and IMHO is not a company to give up a job to join but if unemployed then it is better than starving.

Tidan De Sheveld
5th Aug 2003, 19:48
This discussion has drawn out a few extremes, but clearly the outsiders do not really understand the majority of writers here who are somewhat disillusioned. The rousing company address by the self procalimed non-sycophant is transparent to us here as an amusing tactic and there is no truth to the rumour that it is an attempt to revive a teaching career so do not take it seriously.

The personnel who have been here for more than about six years have seen a good package slide downhill not only by the constant nibbling away by our faceless bureaucrats, but also factors outside RBA's control such as exchange rates. For example the SGD/BND buys around 25% less of the Australian or NZ dollar now than it did six months ago. That is a significant cut for the staff from those parts who have their financial ventures in those countries. While the package viewed as it is from outside may seem good to those looking in, long term staff here are working harder for about two thirds of what they were getting a year ago and probably effectively half of that five years ago.

In general, the future of RBA is Airbus it would seem. A319s in a month, a couple more A320s later this year and A340-500s mid next year. There is still a need for a few crews on the 767, but some of them are going to become surplus sometime next year as the Airbuses come on line. Direct entry crews will probably be used and preferred by the company as they will not have lived through the past [better] times so next year will see some upheaval and probable arbitrary termination of contracts of Boeing crew. RBA has done this before without hesitation where they thought necessary and make no bones of the fact that expats are contract staff and here only as required.

I hope I'm wrong about some of these theories but there is no input from our management other than rumours so thats all there is to go on.

slingsby
6th Aug 2003, 15:09
Current fleet news:

B757, to stay available for leasing

B767, all aircraft will be two class, first fitting during 'c' checks beginning in Jan. First class completely elimintated by super business seats with fully reclinable beds, personal IFE throughout the aircraft with on demand video.

Economy seats, upgraded to adjustable headrests and including PIFE and legrests.

A340, definately coming but no set date (again april04 is being quoted)

I do know which stations are to close but i think it would be grossly unfair of me to publish them on this website. Those of you who know me may inquire direct. You know this info I get is pretty reliable.

keep it up

B772
17th Sep 2003, 20:09
Any new at BI.

Any feedback on the A319 ?.

Maisk Rotum
19th Sep 2003, 19:54
A quick question to the learned of the posters;

I received a DCM letter from RBA in response to an ad for pilots they posted two months ago in Flight. Two weeks later an agency tells me I have a job if I want it!!

Am I confused? Yep.

If I take this, and be assured I do have the 'requisite experience' is it realistic to expect a command in a year?

a380-900
22nd Sep 2003, 16:34
Maisk,

Yes you could get a command in a year. (If your the bosses son).

Otherwise you may have to wait a few years longer. How many years would depend on whether they start offloading the 767s or 757s.

9M_JON
23rd Sep 2003, 22:40
The two major factions on licences also confuses me.

On one hand you have a company that says you cannot be hired nor fly these aircrafts in this country because we don't recognize your licence.However it is perfectly O.K for you to fly the same aircraft,enter our airspace, land and pick up the same pax because you work for a company that does.

Someone should come up with the idea of standardisation of type licences instead, regardless of CAA/FAA initial issuance!That way I can fly a UNITED 777,CX 777 ,BA 777 or RBA 777 if they got one.So if you have flown 4 types then you would have 4 type licences & have 1 current at any given moment.It would then be up to the company whether they insist you are current for the type they want.

Now I come across airlines requiring ICAO licences.My own licence is regarded as one( UK CAA ATPL papers). Now can I apply for RBA requiring CAA UK ATPL?

9M_JON:confused:

slingsby
24th Sep 2003, 15:23
who broke the 319 ??:p

tottenkopf
24th Sep 2003, 20:45
wind in the night

COWPAT
30th Sep 2003, 15:05
Rumours are filtering back from the abode that one of your finest prodigal sons may be about to return to you. Anyone in the abode care to comment if DT is on the way back. I guess it would be good news for all if true.

D'pirate
1st Oct 2003, 17:48
Sad for DT if true

slingsby
2nd Oct 2003, 16:32
A340 ''purchase'' approved by the firm. April 04 BWN-FRA direct first stage, second stage to to LHR 4x week 3 via DXB with B767.
Dhaka, BG later 04. AKL being delinked from BNE flights summer 04.
Plans for -300 and -500 A340 are both in place, with payload restrictions to enable direct services. So final option not decided.

smokehaze
3rd Oct 2003, 00:33
Enough romour and gossip, your stories change faster than the Rwy's at Bangkok! (Or is it Heathrow?)

When you get a real job, then you will be in a position to know what it's really like to fly up to max hours for the last couple of months, have your days off down route, and try to remember your wife's name when you get home because your so jet-lagged!;)

slingsby
3rd Oct 2003, 16:25
And I thought you better than snipes and moans.:{

tottenkopf
26th Oct 2003, 23:11
there's something rotten in the state of Denmark

COWPAT
26th Oct 2003, 23:15
What the #@&k are you talking about?

Slasher
27th Oct 2003, 07:43
Someone should come up with the idea of standardisation of type licences instead

9M-JON your goin on about a Universal International ICAO ATPL that Ive been bitchin about bringin in for years. In that time Ive realised itll never happen due to the self-interest of the worlds individual aviation authoriteys and the maintainance of there provincial fiefdoms. Youd have to first iliminate every aviation civil servant and Transport minister but theres too many of them in the world and not enough bullets to go around. :(

Jim Morehead
27th Oct 2003, 10:12
SLASHER...You hit this one right. All of this B.S. about licenses in different countries and this country or that country are foolish. No matter what country you are from, the cars get smaller when you go up and bigger when you get close to mother earth.

When they allow people from some country to fly to another one,they don't go through a toll booth to scan their license. They just fly to there,call the tower, and land.

i wish the world counld agree on some international acceptance of ratings and licenses.

Blacksheep
30th Oct 2003, 20:08
"They just fly to there, call the tower and land"

Fair enough, but what about the ones who take off from the taxiway by mistake for example? :suspect:

Through difficulties to the cinema

Jim Morehead
31st Oct 2003, 10:10
Blacksheep....I have made it my policy to use runways. They are the ones with the big numbers on them (except in some countries).They and usually longer and wider and the rest of the guys waiting on the taxiways will like you a lot better <bfg>.....

THINALBERT
2nd Nov 2003, 00:20
The word from the abode is that there are not enough pilots to service the schedule, including the recently recruited A319 chaps. Also that several pilots have or are about to resign.

Rumour or truth?

Jim Morehead
2nd Nov 2003, 14:37
Well...everything in life is relative!

I have only about 75 hours for NOV and that is down from previous months for me. The PT/PC is this month and that is not a paid event and it takes a few days out of the possibility for reassignment and more hours.

In terms of not having enough to fly the schedule,that would not be quite true. Every airline can change schedules and schedule less vacations when they become tight. Eventually it may catch up to them. I am sure they are doing what is prudent.

Right now lots of interviewing and a large group of Singapore guys coming this way. A few in school and many interviews from many airlines.

In terms of people resigning, there is always turnover. I see no great huge group leaving. A few here and there.

I think normal age 60 retirements makes opening more than anything. 2 744 Captains retired last month and one more guy I was with today has 5 months to go.

B772
2nd Nov 2003, 16:59
Jim. The thread is about Royal Brunei.

slingsby
2nd Nov 2003, 19:14
2 to Virgin Blue, 3 on interview stage with EK, 2 on long term sick leave.
2 FO's positioned back having run out of hours for the year (second hand info)
All rosters running upwards of 95hrs + a month.
Insufficient rest period for new AKL service, with two delays out of two flights, 55m BNE transit time as well. Days off downline, too many on leave at the same time has led to a couple of flights 'nearly' being chopped. Mainly problems on boeing fleet, Airbus guys seem to be covering the shortfall (just).

Jim Morehead
2nd Nov 2003, 20:50
B772...thanks for letting me know. My mistake.

JIM

Tidan De Sheveld
5th Nov 2003, 22:40
Slingsby is almost right. More like 6 at the interview stage with EK, about 4 more closing in on VB Australia with several more talking about it as they think they'll miss the boat if they don't go now. A few interviewed recently by Dragon and Cathay. SQ Freight hiring again, Britannia hiring, China Airlines phoning captains offering them jobs. Worst of all, Singapore dollar way down, so for expats, effectively a 20-30% pay cut in the last twelve months. Attempt to recruit direct entry 767 Captains came to nought when the offer was unveiled. Monthly hours, combined with no leave being given means pilots are closing on the annual maximum and will have to be taken off roster for a while. Flight Ops management frozen in deep thought. No apparent interest in addressing any of it.

millerscourt
6th Nov 2003, 21:27
Do I get the impression that quite soon certain Airlines will be parking aircraft because they do not have the Pilots to fly them??

Or am I being wildly optimistic in that conclusion??

Certain Airlines seem to think there is an abundance of Pilots prepared to drop everything and travel half way across the world to some poxy country in the middle of nowhere all for a pittance!

The whole point of being an expat is to better oneself financially and to be paid a premium for risking the uncertainties of being on employment terms which can be terminated at any time by just being given 3 months notice.

The world is not enough to get me to go to Brunei even though MF and Lady P are no longer there.

slingsby
7th Nov 2003, 20:32
Sorry guys, but the SLINGSBY has just bought a one way ticket. Good luck to all of you.

Iso
8th Nov 2003, 10:20
Its seems that MOST airlines, especially outside the US, are recruiting like mad. Certainly in the Asia Pacific region. If RBA can't get the pilots at the current rate, then the only option is to push the aircraft up against the fence?

One would have thought though, it would make far better sen$e to pay crews extra to fly the a/craft rather than let them accummulate non-revenue hours on the hard stand. Are noses being cut off to spite the face?

With the amount of chaps looking to leave RBA at the rate mentioned certainly doesn't promote it as the happiest of abodes. Is it the money, the hours, the living conditions; it would be interesting to know?

Those of you in the abode, what's the story? Are you getting the short end of the stick? Why leave Gods Blessed Country?

THINALBERT
8th Nov 2003, 13:49
Reasons? All of the above mentioned and quite a few more as well. No pay rise since the 1980s, cr@p exchange rate with no protection system, jobs available elsewhere now and total surprise from RBA that it is finding it very difficult to attract suitable pilots and that those that are in Brunei are no longer just looking to leave.......they are leaving.

More importantly for RBA, those pilots that are continuing to fly the line are doing it without an once of goodwill and are starting to feel very resentful. That will cost RBA.

Time for a backdated pay rise Mr Foster.

Life as a journey
8th Nov 2003, 14:53
It's not God's Blessed Country, but it is peaceful enough. Cynical? Been to Iraq then, have we?

The country's pro's and con's aside, there is a deterioration in the affairs of the airline that are not being addressed.

Should they be addressed on PPRuNe?

I don't know really, but the frustration of almost every pilot is palpable, though not great enough for anyone to crow about specifics on PPRuNe. Perhaps it should stay that way. No-one really thinks this discussion solves anything, do they?

What does, is representation, at every opportunity. It is required by those of conscience who have to deal with the crap. It is required by those who have a spine. And it is welcomed, though not entirely encouraged, by more folks than you may imagine.

If you feel you have a gripe, and there are many, go in and state your beef. Be a man about it, not a mouse. No use berating me for writing this. I'm no company man. Just get off your butt and go make your point. The DFO may not listen of course. But at least you'll be acting in a way that you can, in a small way, be pleased with.

This PPRuNe business of complaining to like-minded individuals is thoroughly ineffective, if you want to look at it realistically.

Don't go sick 'cause you've flown too much; don't complain about the awesome lack of planning on the one and only challenging route we do without saying something meaningful to the one person who wrote that drivel (couldn't help myself); don't derail the DFM's efforts - at least he's trying; don't moan about how the COM's FDP section is badly written, read AKL and discretion... at least not until you've actually exercised your interpretation and done what is right!

This is not Stalag Singapore. You won't get hung for standing up for what you think is right. Nor is it Cathay Pacific, circa 1980. It isn't the best paid job, nor is it the worst.

The list of issues is long and challenging. But it doesn't get any shorter from the supposed help of moles on PPRuNe.

Meantime, make life work for you.

Take the jobs that're out there, now, paying better money, offering block days off, a REAL, workable plan, not to mention the type of responses from management that actually motivate the troops, not just reward them with better pay.

This is not a post about idealism. It's a realistic way to approach the crap being dished out. Don't just complain about it; do something constructive.

And if the company won't listen, at least you tried before leaving them to rot in their own faeces.

THINALBERT
8th Nov 2003, 15:46
Several people have tried to do something constructive about the situation recently and not only have they got nowhere but the lack of reaction from rba to their representation has been sufficient to persuade others that they should be accepting job offers as well.

Some surprising resignations to come early in the new year so I believe.

Edited for spelling

Life as a journey
8th Nov 2003, 17:09
Quite right TA.

I was one such person; had my recent rep. thrown back at me.

That's certainly a good enough reason to avoid the difficulty of going back for more. They say a measure of insanity is repeating the same actions time and again, even though the result is the same, but each time, anticipating a new outcome.

I mean, why should anyone get up when they've been knocked over time and time again?

Far easier to lie down and never get up, or even write glowingly, right here on the Genesis of change - PPRuNe, about how crap-****e things are and how, "We'd do better if only we were being asked what we thought."

Even more helpful, why not just brag about how you'll pack your bags and leave? That'll fix things.

Far better to turn your back when better (or should that be lesser?) men have failed where you are too frightened to try.

I say to hell with that.

Go in there, say your piece, while applying to other operators.

Don't take ****e lying down.

That way, if ever change for the better does come, you can be pleased it may have been a consequence of your own actions, not just a by-product of circumstance.

slingsby
9th Nov 2003, 23:57
For one of my last as one on the inside banana boat.

It looks like the yang has finally shelved the A340 and any future plans for LHR/FRA direct services for the foreseeable future. SYD, TYO are not going ahead as planned. No mention as to why but current staffing/crewing levels were mentioned.

Just for you SN

BANANASBANANAS
10th Nov 2003, 00:05
Hey Slingsby, Who will turn off the window heats for me at LHR when you are gone?

slingsby
10th Nov 2003, 03:14
Not me, I've got my own to turn off now!! :D

Thanks CM

cameltrainer
10th Nov 2003, 14:17
Life as a journey, well said. There are many who have tried to bring your crewing system out of the stone age. No doubt Captain Kalwat will review the situation when he gets back from leave, and he will say "thats the way we have always done it and thats the way it will stay" Is there any other airline in the world where you cannot swop a roster line? Think not.

scanscanscan
15th Nov 2003, 06:52
After reading this lot I conclude RBA makes "all" the mistakes that Gulf Air previously made 1975 onwards.
Even down to long haul 340 with reduced payloads.
Gf wasted mega bucks trying Bah /New York emptyish and did not much better when forced BAH/Cyprus refuel/NewYorkish.
Talk about history repeating itself, pass the back hander.

COWPAT
15th Nov 2003, 13:41
The word from the abode is that the A340 has been "deferred indefinitely" on direct instruction from HM!

slingsby
18th Nov 2003, 12:50
Also the extra A319/320 order is rumoured to have been cancelled.

COWPAT
18th Nov 2003, 13:38
Can anyone in the abode confirm that Trolley is back in town.

slingsby
18th Nov 2003, 18:43
Yes Trolley was supposed to be back sometime this week for a flying visit (excuse the pun)

Also A320 canx rumour quashed as rather evident in this picture.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/459660/L/

THINALBERT
21st Nov 2003, 12:57
Is there any chance of persuading Trolley to pick up the RBA baton once again. There is an FOM position vacant at least until the present incumbent returns in a year or so.

COWPAT
26th Nov 2003, 23:32
Spies in the abode say that everything is stretched to the limit in Flight Ops and Engineering. With another senior expat engineer imminent to jump ship, several Captains also set to go to pastures new and a new high crew/eng workload schedule been introduced is there enough capacity to cope?

400+ applications in response to the recent ad in Flight and hardly a nibble once terms and conditions were declared seems to say it all.

Is it really that bad?

I hear CAA are taking a close look at your FRA and AKL schedule as well.

dtur2424
26th Nov 2003, 23:34
Hi. Just wanted to know what you guys think about the chances of RBA sending an orang putih to Cabair (or wherever they do their ATPL training these days) who's been a long term resident of BSB. Pretty slim or non-existent? From what I've read on this thread it seems as though RBA are going to be pretty desperate for pilots as more and more keep leaving.

Lifelong RBA fan!

THINALBERT
27th Nov 2003, 13:20
Well there has ceretainly never been a better time to apply. I cant answer all of your question but if you dont apply you will never know. Have a go why dont you.

UAE Camel
29th Nov 2003, 19:11
Cowpat you need no spies to know what is going on. From what I hear it is worse than when we all left for Dubai few years ago. Never looked back since, and we all have commands now. The only way to bring change is walk out the door, and no need to turn out the light, one bill nobody paid.

slingsby
7th Dec 2003, 05:09
Well another piece of history occured today, the slingsby is no longer part of RBA. It is with great sadness that I take my final SID/STAR with RBA, i now have to work for real....!!!

To a few colleagues I give the followng messages

AB - keepfloating don't bounce
MB - cruncher
HB - don't disconnect at 100ft again and mind the race track at BKI
MA - chill babes
DW - keep it zipped
SK - keep up the excess baggage
RP - love it
AH/JW - thanks for the heads up
DL - keep going cos pompey won't

To the many others that have kept the clean end of the flights cosy and superb, I thank you again and wish you clear horizons.

yours forever (next time 123.45)

slingsby

speedtwoten
8th Dec 2003, 10:02
JIM.M

you see the different between the british and their colony and the american policy, their mind about underestimated different race are still strong, look at Cathay or Gulf Air they only look at to CAA license, no bright mind lhaa, that's why they protect themself with funny reason which is, the license fly the aircraft and thet think CAA license the only can fly:ouch:

fire wall
8th Dec 2003, 11:20
alcohol is a wonderful drug eh!!!!!
more beer for the unwashed masses I say.

I'm gone!
9th Dec 2003, 16:36
Gday all,

I'm looking to get in contact with "Mr Phones".

If you see this post mate,PM me. I'm looking at heading your way in the new year. Hope your well mate.

If anyone has a contact for C.R (aka Mr Phones ) could you please PM me.

Cheers,

I'm gone!

THINALBERT
16th Dec 2003, 15:29
Due to the poor exchange rate I hear that the chaps who have just transferred from the one year Rishworth contract to the full RBA contract are actually worse off as they are now paid in Brunei $ rather than NZ $.

And with no increments, no pay rise and no prospect of an improvement to the exchange rate for quite a while, just what is the attraction of an RBA contract?

boocs
16th Dec 2003, 18:36
Perhaps to gain experience for greener pastures further down the track.

THINALBERT
16th Dec 2003, 21:01
Cant argue with that.

Its amazing that RBA can't see that as well. Or perhaps they can and just dont care. Either way its no place to stay anymore. Just a stepping stone to greener pastures or somewhere to grit your teeth and hold on for those last couple of years to retirement.

Have you seen the latest management gem trying to "persuade" locals to volunteer for A319.

Well, I think thats my last post on the subject as I am voting with my feet in Jan.

Good luck to those that remain.

boocs
17th Dec 2003, 11:55
Good luck TA. I hope you are able to find a more rewarding future in your new job.

COWPAT
18th Dec 2003, 20:40
Well done TA. I knew it was coming but wasn't sure when. So thats another experienced captain gone, to be replaced by a local newbie who will no doubt be leaned on to forget about the discretion report etc.

Are you going to share the secret and tell us all where you are going. Good luck anyway, you deserve it more than most.

14U
11th Jan 2004, 09:52
Arrived back to the Abode to find the BN$ has hit 1.34 to the Oz $. Sadly YET ANOTHER senior Captain has had to chuck it in and vote with his feet. Good luck mate, you hung on for long enough hoping that management would notice. And you told them, seems the more we shout the more wool they put in their ears.

COWPAT
11th Jan 2004, 14:19
So, 14u, the value of the Brunei $ has dropped by approximately 40% in the last few years. Here's the question.

Would a merit related pay rise of UP TO 3% on BASIC salary be enough to stop pilots leaving or would it be an insult?

Purely hypothetical of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited for spellin

How many who were wavering over their EK offers will now be resigning in February to take up their offer?

COWPAT
16th Jan 2004, 20:08
4 more have accepted offers from other airlines and will be giving notice over the next few months. These are in addition to however many opt for EK.

COWPAT
23rd Jan 2004, 14:46
And so another one goes. Good luck in Emirates Paul.

millerscourt
23rd Jan 2004, 15:07
Cowpat How come you are still in RBA when all around you Pilots are leaving for pastures new????

Wings
24th Jan 2004, 07:41
When you apply to join another airline, one of the forms you are often required to complete is a medical check, that has to be filled in by your aviation examiner of airmen. Speaking to one such examiner recently, I was advised that he is now very familiar with these forms.

To recruit and retain, requires respect for the person by the company. That respect in turn engenders in the employee respect and loyalty to the company. It's a two way street.

Respect includes but is not limited to, remuneration.

How do you know if you respect someone if you don't listen to them. If they don't listen to you, are they in turn worthy of your respect ?

If a company respects you, they will listen to your comments and suggestions and act upon them. If the company does not respect you, they will have someone visit the Flight Deck, or sit in an office and listen to you, then forget everything you have said the minute you part (paying lip service), or just churn out notice after notice telling you what are doing wrong, that you are all naughty boys and must do better.

A bit of respect would go a long way in the current climate here.

Oh, and before the scathing comments come flying in, how about we restrict the feedback to people who are actually employed by RBA at this point in time ?

Cheers

COWPAT
24th Jan 2004, 13:03
Hello MC,

Some of us hung around because there are aspects of life in Brunei that almost made the steady degradation to terms and conditions bearable, education allowance being a major factor. Now even that is no longer true and it is time to go.

The answer to your question is that I am going, and soon.

M.85
26th Jan 2004, 23:41
Cowpat,

I went on RBA website but theres no application form or anything relating to job offers..just local cadet scheme.
Are they looking for pilots or not?how to apply?
I have JAA ATPL,2680TT,mostly turboprop.

Cheers,

M.85

COWPAT
27th Jan 2004, 15:40
All recruitment done thru Rishworth in NZ.

I do not have their website but a search should find it easily.

You would do one year on a Rishworth contract, then get a full RBA contract, which at the moment represents a pay cut due to the exchange rate being so bad.

M.85
27th Jan 2004, 19:29
Cowpat,
No pay cut here as im unemployed,single and willing to go anywhere.
I ll be searching the web for rishworth NZ.Have nr for the UK branch..will give em a call.
Not typed here..problem?
Thanks.
M.85

dtur2424
27th Jan 2004, 22:26
Last week RBA posted a job advert up for a Senior Interior Technical Services Enginner. Does that mean the strategic plan is still going ahead and they're refurbishing the 767 fleet? Does anyone know if the A340 orders are still going ahead or did HM pull the plug?

Apparently BA are shedding 3000 staff before the year is out so not all the doom and gloom is in bandar!

Chin up guys!

COWPAT
28th Jan 2004, 12:43
Opportunity is certainly here in RBA if you cant get a job elsewhere. In fact, another 2 opportunities have just arisen because of more resignations. More 'opportunities" are just around the corner.

14U
30th Jan 2004, 18:42
Just got to know about the latest sad news. I hope that the company can do the decent thing and send his wife home in First Class with him. As someone said before, there is no respect. Is there any hope that there may be in the future? Good luck DB, you were someone we could respect, and a good mate.

COWPAT
30th Jan 2004, 18:52
Agree with your post 14U.

Have you heard about the engineers downing tools for an hour yesterday in reaction to the reduced bonus for local staff.

I also hear the rba email system is now more like a complaints forum in response to the CEOs latest letter.

Good luck DB & JB.

COWPAT
4th Feb 2004, 21:55
Word filters thru that things are set to happen.

New guys are happy cos they have a job, some even have a command course after 6 months. That is because the senior guys are either leaving or finding that they are too tired to accept discretion and delaying flights by 12 hours due no standby. The calibre of RBA is slowly but surely declining.

The net result is that far more experience is leaving out of the back door than is coming in the front. The danger is that the equally tired guys in between dare not say no and are "pressing on" with min fuel sometimes when airmanship might suggest another course of action to be appropriate.

Be careful out there. It could be my family you are carrying.

Back to bed for another min rest long haul.

nopoal
4th Feb 2004, 23:08
Hi there,

I sent my resume to RBA and had no answer. They weren´t looking for pilots???

Flaps 15º :cool:

DoverRover777
5th Feb 2004, 14:05
Royal Brunei Airlines should change its name.

How about 'Budget Brunei Airlines'.

No payrise in 15 YEARS

Medical / Car allowances etc taken away.

Pay increments stopped until RBA makes a profit (this is only for the working grades, middle and upper management not affected.

BND depreciated 40% in recent years.

Locals only 2 weeks bonus, not 1 month.

Unrealistic Schedules, going into Discretion on a regular basis. (What point Brunei DCA is is beyond everyone, just another department of RBA)

Only empty memos from CEO stating no pay rise,or increments due SARS, Iraq war, Hajah Suriana from Tutong, banana crop didnt ripen this year, and saying we appreciate you working so hard. they dont appreciate everyone is working so hard. They think we're a dog, pat us on the head with one hand, while taking food out of our plate with the other hand, and expect us to appreciate the thanks and forget about eveything else.

The experienced Pilots and Engineers are on the way out. Replaced by less experienced staff. add to this the Fatige creeping in by over demanding, unrealistics rosters and schedules. you get the picture.

I just hope the CEO, BOD and all senior management are personally held personally responsible and accountable should something happen, as they recognise the problem is there, but are not MANAGING it.

Theres nothing 'Royal' about Royal Brunei Airlines anymore.

Borneo Wild Man
6th Feb 2004, 09:15
FOR SALE: ANGLE GRINDER (As New)

Ideal for those "clamped" car park solutions.
A real bargin at $40.(Only 1/6th of a season carpark ticket!)

BANANASBANANAS
6th Feb 2004, 15:46
Is that battery operated or are you including the generator?

Soon be lots of spare car park space if guys continue to leave at the present rate!

UAE Camel
10th Feb 2004, 12:17
Just heard that an SFO need only get a "C" grade before he can be put on the command list. It used to be 2 X a "B" grade. Can any instructor please confirm before we make our comments.

COWPAT
11th Feb 2004, 18:37
Not Correct.

We have put 2 SFOs on the next command courses who have not been with us long enough to do 2 base checks but are high time Captains from another Airline.

The real concern is persuading experienced captains to remain. Another 2 have resigned and the experience levels are plummetting at a time when the 767 fleet is showing its age and pressure is being brought to bear to operate with (sometimes less than) min fuel so we dont leave the suitcases behind in BKK.

It is a worrying situation and one that shows no serious signs of being properly addressed by anyone from CEO down.

UAE Camel
15th Feb 2004, 12:23
Cowpat, OK with that BUT what about when they have to again look at their "Own Pool" of pilots. At the moment you are looking to loose more experienced Capts to us, and your levels of experiance and skills drops by the day. Word of your fuel policy starts to filter through and I wonder if the general public should know more about it. Good luck mate.

COWPAT
15th Feb 2004, 15:26
UAE Camel,

Your points are valid. Sadly, I cannot counter them.

THINALBERT
17th Feb 2004, 16:30
The only route where we have been reminded of the importance of not offloading freight and suitcases is the BKK FRA service. There have been some rather suspect computer flight plans generated (reduced contingency fuel, reduced div fuel etc) though which have resulted in delayed departures BKK (whilst the tech crew worked out what was going on) and some legal but not very sensible shut down fuels in FRA.

I think RBA must now be very worried at the number of 757 and 767 opportunities that are becoming available and are attractive to its senior captains. They can earn in US$ what they are currently earning in SIN$. Oh to be a fly on the wall at the upcoming staff open forum. Well, that really is my last post now. See you soon UAE Camel.

dtur2424
17th Feb 2004, 19:22
Do you think that HM knows what is really going on? I agree with UAE Camel in that perhaps more people should know. Cutting costs is one thing but this situation has turned dangerous.

A nightmare is waiting to happen as pretty soon the only captains left will be inexperienced or overworked or both.

:uhoh: :( :sad:

boocs
21st Feb 2004, 09:48
Word has it that the latest offer put to management has been.................................. rejected "but will be looked at if more cost savings can be realised."

Anyone care to comment...

14U
21st Feb 2004, 15:34
To reject the offer will cost the company more money in the long run, than to accept it now.

COWPAT
25th Feb 2004, 16:26
Four more Captains have received their offers of employment and will be giving RBA the good news in March.

Up to here
6th Mar 2004, 09:22
We'll all miss you COWPAT, life will no longer be as exciting!!

Borneo Wild Man
6th Mar 2004, 11:34
Uncle H,
Thanks for looking after my sunglasses,but as Im on a 12hr visit to BWN,Ill have to pick them up on my next visit.
Cheers B.W.M.:cool:

COWPAT
6th Mar 2004, 11:46
A bit premature UTH but thanks all the same. My EK date is Aug. When is yours?

Snot Box
8th Mar 2004, 09:16
Interesting to hear all different views about RBA. Since they are so desperate for people now, would someone like myself who was born in Brunei should have a go at it?

I don't have the JAR or UK ATPL nor 500 hours on type but a Canadian ATPL.

The last time I was back there, when Fox was still running the show, told me to take a hike as I was not "local" enough to be on the cadet program.

If any could shed some light this would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Wings
8th Mar 2004, 16:50
Calling Bananas bananas,
I hear you were at the staff open forum last week. I was 'in harness'. What happened there ?

BANANASBANANAS
9th Mar 2004, 14:23
Hi Wings.

Yes. Present, Spoke and got a few issues aired. No promises from anyone and I wouldn't hold your breath. If things dont change I guess they will stay the same.

In LHR now. Call round for a beer next weekend sometime.

Bananas

Borneo Wild Man
14th Mar 2004, 12:37
Oh dear,the angle grinder company is not doing well as its taken the car park people so long to construct the barriers,however B.W.M's new venture

BORNEO POOL REMOVALS

sure to make a buck!
PH 0800 SWIMNOMORE:ok:

thegypsy
14th Mar 2004, 13:05
Borneo Wild Man

Can you send me the recipe of that Jungle Juice yoiu are drinking!:ok:

DrowsyDriver
21st Mar 2004, 07:25
It seems some of you guys really know what you talking about regardng RBA.

I am a bit interested in joining (stepping stone) and have been in aviation for 15years+.
Been driving the 737, 767 and now rated on the Airbus 340.
Problem is I have no Comand hours even though i am 7000h+.

I have been trying to get a webadress to Richworth, but no joy.
(links in Ppjn doesn't work)

Anyone in RBA that has it?
Also has RBA ordered 340:s?

In that case maybe my own experience suits the company.

Regards
DD

Zingaro
21st Mar 2004, 16:51
Try www.smartcockpit.com, an excellent site by courtesy of Ludovic Andre, ex coloured soft fruit most popular in Patpong(the fruit that is, not Ludo)ex Aeris, and latest celebrity guest in 'Rumours and news'. Click on jobs link. Also www.pilotpointer.com
Good luck, and if you find that perfect job....pm me
Oh, is that another six foot lizard in my garden!!! Gemma!!!!

DrowsyDriver
22nd Mar 2004, 20:10
Thanks Zingaro.
I had to learn the difference between Rish and Rich.

I know that no place is perfect, but most really not to bad.

Regards DD

splat72
29th Mar 2004, 12:05
I have received some communication from jack at rishworth in regards to an oct start (possible),very exciting for myself considering what im doing now.
The queston is does rishworth only do the FO recruitment and Bruinai do the direct entry command ,as flight Inter is advertising for Capt's on behalve of RB.

Cheers Splat

COWPAT
1st Apr 2004, 07:35
There is a lot of recent turnover of pilots at RBA. Be careful what you sign up for. There has been no pay rise since the 1980,s and we only got that because we all resigned. That wouldnt work today as the BOD have already demonstrated that they are prepared to operate short of pilots rather than pay market rate and happily stand by whist some good people leave. The latest resignation was 2 days ago.

Rumour is that the Brunei DCA are about to validate Malaysian, Indonesian, Philippines licences. If that happens then RBA will not be a happy place for anyone with a UK, Aus or NZ mortgage.

SIA Cargo is a much better deal, and thats saying something.

slingsby
7th Apr 2004, 13:51
BruneiDirect.Com

Flap Trouble Forces RBA To Make Emergency Landing
By M K Anwar

Bandar Seri Begawan - A Royal Brunei Airlines' flight from Bangkok was reported to have made an emergency landing after its system had indicated a problem with its flap functions.

The B767 aircraft was also reported to have been hit by a fire that had broken out on the right wheel of the aircraft as it was landing at the Bangkok International Airport.

Passengers were ordered to evacuate the aircraft soon after the landing.

The RBA, when contacted yesterday, said that its BI 33 flight that departed from Bangkok on April 3 had a technical problem about an hour into its flight and had to return.

In its statement, RBA said that the Engine Indication and Crew Alert System (EICS) had indicated a problem during the flight.

Upon landing, the Bangkok Airport Tower Control (ATC) informed the captain that there was a fire on the right wheel. Flight crews onboard were unable to neither confirm nor verify this from the aircraft.

The Bulletin was told that upon landing, passengers were asked to evacuate the aircraft using the emergency slide raft. This was done following procedures based on the ATC advice at that time, said RBA.

The RBA statement also said that a thorough inspection of the aircraft later by RBA engineers found no indication there was any problem on the aircraft's flaps. Further inspections have also found no indication of fire on the wheels of the aircraft. -- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

Brudirect.com News

COWPAT
7th Apr 2004, 21:34
All Crew did a good job. History of leading Edge Slat assym which recurred (without any flap selection been made) in the cruise. Fuel dumped and Flap 20 landing made at BKK at night. BKK ATC reported brakefire on landing and crew really had no option other than to evacuate. A couple of pax sustained minor injuries during the evacuation.

The aeroplanes are starting to show their age. "M" and "N" are about to be dry leased and with others to go into the hangar for several weeks at a time for cabin/engine upgrades the pressure is really on to keep as many aeroplanes as possible flying the line.

The new business class seats were bought cheap from Del boy and Rodney and are causing major headaches for the engineers. About half the armrests are u/s at any one time. New IFE seems to work ok.

Interesting times.

thegypsy
8th Apr 2004, 06:08
Cowpat

Fuel dumped on a B767. Are you sure about that??

COWPAT
8th Apr 2004, 07:48
Yes, Ever since I started flying them many years ago.
Centre tank jettison only at 72600 kg/hour. It takes about 30 minutes to dump full centre tank. No jettison from wing tanks.

thegypsy
8th Apr 2004, 11:53
Cowpat

It just goes to show after being off the B767 for 10 years I have now dumped that fact re Centre Tank!:{

fire wall
9th Apr 2004, 05:17
might want to re check those figures re the dump rate.
FW

COWPAT
9th Apr 2004, 11:19
I did before I posted. They are straight out of the RBA Boeing Manuals. Depends on whether you have twin or single jettison pumps fitted. Single pump = half dump rate. We have twin jettison pumps.

Life as a journey
10th Apr 2004, 12:55
Filipinos and Indonesians on RBA flight decks?

Like it or not, they're seen as amahs and gardeners.

And none of them will ever pole an RBA plane.

But don't stop scaring the troops Cow.

There's more you can post to try and sink this ship, surely?

COWPAT
10th Apr 2004, 13:12
Wait and see. I can understand your scepticism but give it time.

There is no need to try to sink a ship which already has major holes below the waterline, is rudderless and already has most of the crew wearing lifejackets.

I would be delighted to post how wonderful it is to work for RBA but we both know that isn't the case and that nearly all expats are looking for a way out. And who can blame them.

RFN
12th Apr 2004, 13:43
Reading through all the posts, there has still not been any mentioned of $$$...

As low as they appear to be, would somebody be kind enough to at least put me out of my misery and advise what the remuneration is/isn’t, and what are the present contract conditions re: expat F/O’s and Capts for housing, schooling etc...

Thanks,

RFN

14U
22nd Apr 2004, 03:52
RFN. As far as I know you have to join through Rishworth. After 1 year you can join RBA. They do not give you a Contract, you will be offered an "Agreement" Terms are being changed all the time. At the moment the exchange is B$ 1.3=Oz$ 1.0. There is talk now of them reducing the school allowance, and reducing the housing allowance even more. At this time you will need to fork out about $300-800 to be able to rent a decent house. There is NO medical cover, you have to pay for that. Increments were cancelled about 2 years ago and there has been no pay rise in the history of the airline. Expect to work your butt off and the hotels down route are not even fit for Roo's. Most pilots are looking to move, so if you are unemployed you have a good chance to get in. If you are employed there is little hope here. It is a safe place, and there is a decent golf course, but you won't have time to play. My DAYS OFF have been changed 4 times this roster, so don't expect too much from a planning point of view. Good Luck.

COWPAT
22nd Apr 2004, 06:25
I have to agree with 14RU, RFN. In the good old days, Foxy (ex DFO) would have stood up to the Board of Directors and told them that Flight Ops can't run the planned or existing schedule with this many crews but the gutless "leaders" we have in Flight Ops today haven't got the balls to say no so the **** just gets passed on down the line.

More and more Captains, F/Os and Cabin Crew are learning how to say No....and the airline are really feeling the effect of this withdrawal of good will, discretion and willingness to work on days off.

As a joining Rishworth F/O expect about 6000 NZ$ a month if you are lucky. After a year you will go on to the "full RBA contract" (Whoopy fuXking doo!) which at the current exchange rate represents about a 10% pay cut as you will then be paid in Brunei$.

Stay away unless you are really desperate.

Bus429
22nd Apr 2004, 17:47
Hmm...

Glad I left!:ok:

RFN
23rd Apr 2004, 03:41
Thanks all for your feedback.

RFN

THINALBERT
23rd Apr 2004, 05:27
Leaving RBA was the best decision I ever made. My only regret is that I did not do it earlier. There are a lot of jobs out there with far better terms and conditions, expat, and domestic OZ, UK and NZ.

Fly Kimi
24th Apr 2004, 10:43
As an ex RBA employee the posts here sadden me. It certainly appears that I left at the right time, sometimes I still miss it though, especially the great camaraderie with the crew. Sounds like a much less fun place to work than it once was.
I really hope someone can turn it around, don't ask me who! Good luck to all those who are sticking with it, and those who have left for pastures new.
RBA once had the potential to be a great little airline, I hope that one day it still can be.

Big Kahuna
4th May 2004, 14:30
Whats happening in Brunei? Gone very quite over there.

Wings
5th May 2004, 01:12
Big Kahuna,
What's happening ? You ask.
Not Much.

Apart from the incident in Bangkok.
And the incident in Ujung Pandang.
And we now have to pay for the privilege of parking at the airport.
And we have had a payrise - microscope required.
And we can now be bumped from flights when on Duty travel.

As you can see, i.a.w. the intro of our E.R.s, only changes that improve the working conditions of employees happen at RBA.:rolleyes:

Bus429
5th May 2004, 05:25
Wings,

I thought the E.R. said changes adversely affecting employees had to be given 30 days in advance of the change.

When RBA chopped medical reimbursement with immediate effect in 2002, I sent an email to the big chief pointing out the 30 day notice. To be fair (to a point), the 30 day notice was then put in place.

prayboy
5th May 2004, 07:43
Can anyone from the abode give some details on the ujung divert out of curiosity, or is that asking too much...

Wings
6th May 2004, 01:53
Bus 429, you are correct re the E.Rs, but I fail to see your point.

Are you suggesting it's O.K. to have to pay for parking as long as you are told 30 days in advance ?
Are you suggesting its O.K. to chop medical reimbursements as long as you are told 30 days in advance ?
Are you suggesting that it is O.K. to continually reduce our conditions and benefits as long as we are told 30 days in advance ?
Where does it end ? Will it be O.K. for us to be told we are working for nothing as long as we are told 30 days in advance ?

You semantics are irrefutable but your point is ....... I don't know, what is your point ??

Cheers::confused:

Bus429
6th May 2004, 05:10
Wings,

Sorry, my point was not clear. I meant to point out that RBA management were, during my brief tenure, reactive (knee-jerking) in almost all cases. There is no justification for withdrawing the few benefits now remaining; I don't know how they have managed to retain the people they have.

Wings
7th May 2004, 03:43
Big Kahuna
O.K.
Thanks

Cheers

Wings
19th May 2004, 03:59
Remember 11th September 2001 ?

Twin Towers, New York City.

The Mayor of New York at the time was Rudolph Giuliani.
Giuliani was widely acclaimed for his leadership during and immediately after the attacks. He was, in fact, given an Honourary Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth the Second of England for his leadership during those times.

When asked about leadership his response was

"More than anyone, leaders should welcome being held accountable.
Nothing builds confidence in a leader more than a willingness to take responsibility for what happens during his watch."

What a refreshing attitude.

(Quote from 'The Edge Singapore' newspaper, 17 May 2004) :ok:

BANANASBANANAS
19th May 2004, 07:41
Right now I would settle for being reimbursed 20$ pcm which I am currently paying for the privilege of parking my car at my place of work.

I am still trying to reconcile how we used to get a car allowance of 260$ pcm and it was free to park at work, and now we are charged 20$ pcm and the allowance has been withdrawn. The CEO definitely said in the recent staff forum that we haven't had a pay cut!

Go Figure!

COWPAT
20th May 2004, 06:19
Rumours are reaching COWPAT that our CEO upset someone at a recent social function to such an extent that he was "assisted" into the pool whilst still fully clothed and had his clothes and mobile phone ruined in the process.

Apparently he had a major sense of humour failure and suffered serious loss of face as a consequence.

Would anyone who was present care to give the exact details. I would also like to know who did it so I can buy him a barrel of beer.

Wings
21st May 2004, 08:26
Bananas bananas

Re the car parking fees. I personally spoke to CEO on this matter on 27 Feb this year in the presence of two other pilots including a Deputy F.M.
CEO assured me he would "look into it".
A month later I e mailed the CEO to ask what he had found out when he looked into it.

No answer was the stern reply.

Cheers

COWPAT
21st May 2004, 12:06
So that will be another tonne of fuel on all trips and a few more broken business class armrests, rendering the seat unusable and therefore not revenue raising, then.

When are the a$sholes going to realise that in a war of attrition nobody wins.

DoverRover777
23rd May 2004, 13:00
Any truth to the other comment made by ceo at function, when quieried about problems at royal budget airlines.

"The monkies are trying to get out of the jar but im screwing the lid down tight"

Shows his contempt to all staff, and the company.

Some Just recieved insulting payrise. First in airlines 18 year history.

Approximately $170 BND per month. That should keep everyone happy.

Not withstanding

$500 Medical / dental allowance STOPPED

Pay increments STOPPED

$260 Monthly car allowance STOPPED

Have to pay for car park when working

Schedules & Rosters Working maximum hours saving money not employing enough engineers / pilots. Many long time experienced Captains left in disgust ( Of course now crews are having to be stood down due out of hours [now thats clever Crew Resource Management].
Quality of passenger meals on some services embarrasing.

Recently

Engine Seizure out of Perth
Flight control problem, with overweight landing and pax evacuation in Bangkok
Engine shutdown and diversion into Ujang

(Maybe some more QUALIFIED & EXPERIENCED enginners should be employed).

All in the name of ceo reaching his cost saving goals and recieving his (rumored) 7 figure bonus.

D'pirate
27th May 2004, 13:07
All of this is very sad, I had the misfortune to fly to the abode on RBN and home on RBM recently, Both aircraft were very shabby and tired. Most telling of all was the CSO saying to me "you are lucky, you have escaped!" - at least expats usually have somewhere else they can go, pity the locals who really are stuck with RBA - and at even more pitiable salaries and conditions. With real vision in the mid 90's it could have been where Emirates is now but what to do la???

Whatever happened to the Trolleybus BTW - he has gone very quiet since he left.

ronnie123
31st May 2004, 03:21
Does this mean there is hope for low time pilots, trying to get jet time.:confused:

COWPAT
31st May 2004, 04:17
The last I heard of Trolley was from Stansted where he was a 757 Fleet Manager for Atlas.

Ronnie, All recruitment is done through Jack Priest at Rishworth. You will need a type rating and some time on type.

MASsenger
31st May 2004, 10:49
Hi guys, I applied to the advert for Flt. Ops Inst. I`m A340/320 experienced. Got varoius forms sent to me by Training Manager, which I have filled and sent back. It`s two months since and everything has gone quiet. Sent a reminder two weeks ago, still no reply. Tried calling the Training Manager, no one seems to pick up the phone. Anyone has any other number at the training dept., that I could call.

COWPAT
31st May 2004, 11:26
Check your PM. I cant really post the guys contact numbers for the whole world to see.

slingsby
31st May 2004, 15:11
It's very sad to see so many negative posts since I left, has it really gone that sour. I know the barrels are nearly empty, but wow things do seem bad. Good luck to you guys that are still there, you certainly made it fun for me.

COWPAT
5th Jun 2004, 06:51
RBA are now recruitimg DE captains onto the Boeing Fleet, such is the shortage of qualified and experienced FOs. Recently a request was made of some Bruneian FOs on the new Airbus fleet (who never wanted to go there in the first place) if they would like to move back to the Boeing.

Now thats an efficient way to run things!

family
5th Jun 2004, 17:53
Wonder if any of you guys have checked out Valuair over in Singapore.

They're hiring, apparently expanding their fleet.

Got some good guys in there right now, seem to have it right so far.

Big Kahuna
18th Jun 2004, 09:58
I hear more pilots are leaving!

Feel sorry for the ones staying....they will have to work even harder.

MASsenger
19th Jun 2004, 08:00
Is it possible to get a apartment for BN$1900/- seafront, in Brunei

COWPAT
20th Jun 2004, 09:12
No, its not possible and yes, more pilots (captains) are set to leave. 2 either have just resigned or are about to. More to follow.

millerscourt
20th Jun 2004, 13:13
COWPAT Yes but when are you going to leave RBA?? Is it still August and if so have you handed in your resignation? Are you off to join EK as a DEC? It is time you got off that old B767 before it is too late!! :confused:

PS I would not bother with SQ as DEC on B777 as same currency problem and out of the frying pan and into the fire in all other respects.

MASsenger
20th Jun 2004, 14:10
Is it possible to get a decent apt in any decent area for B$1900/-
. If not how much?

dtur2424
4th Jul 2004, 11:52
That's pretty much the icing on the cake.

Borneo Blues
10th Jul 2004, 04:09
Just heard that they have reduced the sick leave to just 7 days a year. Now this has to be a wind up or a big big mistake. Anyone got the whole story?

FatigedPilot
10th Jul 2004, 12:51
How Stupid,

People are probably going sick because theyre fatiged,

Unrealistically sustainable (2 Years now)/ demanding rosters, no leave available. Crews up to max duty hours.

So they reduce the sick leave thinking pilots will be less likely to go sick. This forces them to fly when they are sick or overtired.

UK, AUS, GER, & [BRUNEI (Ha, just joking)] DCA's please take note. If an Incident happens The CEO, Board of Directors, Airline Owner, and Senior Management ARE ACCOUNTABLE, and Should be Prosecuted accordingly.

Responsibilty for safety does not stop at the Capt, it goes to the top level policy makers of the airline, and they ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONISBLE FOR THE SAFETY (or lack of) OF THE AIRLINE.

So too should the appropriate CAA / DCA / FAA be responsible. They decide the Maximum Duty Limitations, and they are continually extending them, knowing Airlines are Rostering their crews to WORK TO THE LIMIT of them.

Passengers are keen for a cheaper flight, but must be prepared to accept the risk flying with fatiged pilots.

More Capts leaving due to working conditions, some were happy to stay with RBA until retirement, not now.
Very low experience level in the airline now.

The Writings on the Wall

THINALBERT
12th Jul 2004, 09:42
Borneo Blues. It is true. A friend in the abode emailed me the details.

Quote:

ER6 – MEDICAL LEAVE

Medical leave will be granted for up to 7 days of approved medical absence in any consecutive 12 months period. If in the judgement of the immediate supervisor absence for medical reasons is excessive, the immediate supervisor may arrange for the employee to be examined by a doctor to establish fitness for continued service.

End Quote:

Things must be coming to a head now surely.

xrba
13th Jul 2004, 02:21
So with standards at an all time low and morale non-existant what does RBA do? Start up a new schedule in November 3 times a week to Sydney! Brilliant! Now all they need is the engineers to maintain their ageing fleet, the pilots to fly the schedule, and of course the aircraft. Hopefully they can recover either M or N from whoever they have leased them to without incurring to big a penalty, but of course that would be untypical. When is this once good outfit going to implode?

THINALBERT
26th Jul 2004, 11:59
The rumour in the sand pit is that one of your senior trainers is about to join EK. Fact or Fiction?

Life as a journey
27th Jul 2004, 06:31
Fact.
He's resigned.
The trickle has become a flood.

millerscourt
27th Jul 2004, 06:49
I gather that My Travel in UK are making B767 Pilots redundant so yet again Airlines like RBA and GF with lousy T & C's will be rescued by someone's misfortune.

Big Kahuna
6th Aug 2004, 08:32
And another captain resigns, how many more will go?

14U
16th Aug 2004, 03:38
Rumours are flying around that the DFO departed BWN on the weekend under a cloud. Anybody back at base know what the score is.

xrba
17th Aug 2004, 01:24
Perhaps the DFO has just nipped over to UK to act as the 'airman's friend' in the imminent court case!

UAE Camel
27th Sep 2004, 06:43
Have heard that there was an emec evac at BKK. I am told that went well. However, on the flight inbound the crew had the same trouble with the flaps or slats, and SET OFF THE STICKSHAKER as they approched the stall. Is this true and if so what are the facts. Comments please.

COWPAT
30th Sep 2004, 00:53
Check your PMs UAE Camel

slipperysid
3rd Oct 2004, 14:23
How sad. Had a great six years there. Class of 93'. Only a couple of mates still hanging in there now.

Amazing how life can change after the umbrella of the Fox dynasty came to an end. Never saw any real gripes amongst the expats just a few late nights in the RBYC and a couple of hazy evenings in Labuan/ KK. Never made it to Limbang.....

Wasn't profitable then and obviously still isn't. The only thing that's changed is nobody wants to be there now.....how sad

tornspar
4th Oct 2004, 04:21
Why is it all poor old RBA gets a flogging on these forums,the company has given many people a go,you live in the jungle and work with good people ....I cant be bothered writing anything else...stop winging and be happy your not on the dole.It was good when I was there and the few I know still there enjoy it.It sure was better than a sandpit...

The Puzzler
6th Oct 2004, 08:04
Puzzle me this....

Hey Sid, doesnt Joeys count as Limbang?!? :D :D

slipperysid
6th Oct 2004, 13:43
Ok so I spent a little time in the suburbs of Limbang but never downtown Limbang....did I :uhoh:

MASsenger
7th Oct 2004, 06:03
Guys, when are the A340`s due. I heard from the grapevine 6 are rolling in. Anybody has any idea when.

Borneo Wild Man
8th Oct 2004, 04:27
Limbang now has its own international airport soon to open.Obviously a "Duty free''Mecca.Once they upgrade the nightclub and the Russian girls start arriving........
And joey fixes up the dance floor,puts some new bulbs in the light fixtures,aircon in the cellar and imports some new monkeys,never get you guys to leave.
Perhaps we should pass the hat around for a new glass eye!
Dubai eat ya heart out.

The Puzzler
8th Oct 2004, 17:46
Puzzle me this....

Get you guys to leave!? Hey, I'll come back! New monkeys in eh - fantastic :D

slipperysid
10th Oct 2004, 07:35
Nice one Wild Man...I'm re applying immediately! Who cares about the T & C's I'm sure we'll have enough left over for a glass eye :ouch:

BANANASBANANAS
10th Oct 2004, 07:58
Hey, Wildman, Are you carrying out your secondary duty on either monday or tuesday of this coming week?

tiredunfedup
30th Jan 2005, 13:02
Royal Brunei Airlines Captain sacked. For refusing to extend flying duty period i.e. COMMANDERS Discretion to Extend Flying Duty Period. Apparently the Captain has not received a reason for his sacking though.

This was when line pilots were rostered sequential long haul flights patterns, with only one or two days off in between. Line pilots were raising concerns of constantly flying fatigued, leave was been refused because of lack of crews, other crews were been stood down as they were out of hours for their 365 day total. One Captain took himself off flying and resigned after submitting a report he had fallen asleep on approach, (due to fatigue from these unsustainable rosters.)

Apparently RBA is been sued as this charter flight had to be cancelled as there was no pilot to operate the flight. This was a flight from their home base in Bwn. (That’s right, they were so short of crews they didn’t even have a standby crew at their home base).

Yet the management who sacked this Captain was the same management who did not have the foresight to employ more crews on the Boeing fleet before transferring crews to the 4 new Airbuses. They also tried to run the schedule with reduced crew numbers to save costs, and thus receive their large bonuses for saving money.
(Will they still receive their large bonuses if the company has to pay out a million or so in damages to the charter company?)

This is a dangerous precedent set by the current management to the last remaining experienced Captains, and the many new Captains and First Officers with only a couple of years on International Jet Operations. Many of who are concerned as they are flying fatigued.

It seems RBA’s Ops Manual should change the Commanders Discretion to Extend Flying Duty Period, to Managements Mandatory Order to Extend Flying Duty Period, or you will be sacked with no reason given.

This sort of management practice will only stop with a serious accident.

Can we afford to wait until that happens?

Are the Airlines owner, the CAA’s and DCA’s where the Airline operates to, or RBA’s passengers prepare to wait until that happens?

Of course it’s just a Rumor.

the sleuth
31st Jan 2005, 14:24
so...sacked for a first/single 'offence'?...was thinking of working in the far east...prolly I won't.

or perhaps we not getting all the info to make an informed decision? if rba so desperately short of qualified pilots why would they sack a captain for just being to tired on one flight?

so...i got some hrs (plenty) in big aeroplanes...they gonna be looking for dec?

what type aircraft they fly?

any help would be good fellas!

;)

Lil' Pilot
31st Jan 2005, 20:16
Are they only looking for typerated guys/ girls when they're recruiting? What's currently the minimum ammount of experience you should have, to even be considered when you apply there? Any help will be really appreciated :D

14U
1st Feb 2005, 01:34
Just heard that he has got a years extension on his contract. How can the BOD's be so blind. I'm too depressed to comment further - just yet.

COWPAT
1st Feb 2005, 07:03
BOD are not blind. They know exactly what they are doing. Keeping their yes man in place so that all the crap and associated fatigue/abuse of position/further degraded terms and conditions will continue to be passed on directly to the workers without any resistance from the person who has a corporate responsibility to maintain safety standards within RBA.

Who will be next in Flight Ops to be sacked for standing up for justice because your leader has sold you down the river.

Disgraceful state of affairs.

14U
6th Feb 2005, 03:31
The flight operations management we are encountering is very poor. They are arrogant and have no ethical standards. To dismiss a Captain for no reason is underhand, it is a worry to us all in wondering who they will choose next.
Even FO's face intimidation in the selection process for a command course. Where and when will it stop.

Ttree Ttrimmer
6th Feb 2005, 10:29
This is not the first time pilots have been sacked for no reason at all. Remember "the day of the long knives" back in 2002? Sounds as if the leopard hasn't changed his spots.

xrba
6th Feb 2005, 22:28
Ye Gods A321 Driver! How bad does an outfit have to get before ingenuees/unfortunates discontinue their attempts to join it? No wonder RBA pilots will keep being treated like dirt by the management.

Lil' Pilot
6th Feb 2005, 22:33
xrba

you can also just answer a321driver's question..

xrba
7th Feb 2005, 00:58
I could answer the question, if I so desired, but it would do nothing to assist my erstwhile colleagues still at RBA by doing so, and at this time they need all the help that they can get. Rumours and news has a good thread on the demise of the professional pilot which is particularly apt. Our cause is not assisted by the fly for free brigade who are the likeliest candidates for RBA.

Bob Hawke
7th Feb 2005, 02:08
Yeah,

Strange as it seems, some weeks ago, I gotta call to join the RBA team, and in the offerings was a "shared accom." package. If I was teenager, then that would be fine, but I am a family man, and we need our privacy. I was told if I wanted that, go out and get your own accom. To boot, no start date, no specifics on the package. What is this! Deception by silence. How do they expect a candidate to make a decision based on that lack of information! Is this an RBA thing or the recruiting company tactic, not to tell you what the full package is?

Anyway, I would strongly suggest to your management they had better improve their conditions and terms of employment if they want me to consider again. In the meantime I will maintain what I've got, and other offers are coming in. It's almost insulting.

Hope the rest of you find a way out, if it's as sad as you say it is. The recruiting company are going to have a tough time getting the right candidates me thinks.

dai chon doi
7th Feb 2005, 07:18
couldn't agree more. i too was offered the same pap deal, shared acommodation, no kids schooling for the first year and a vague start date sometime soon. from what i've heard from those with intimate knowledge of the place both past and present i'd suggest the old wide bearth, at least until the t&c's are revisited on the upside. cheers

Iso
7th Feb 2005, 10:37
I was offered the same sheepish deal. Why can't they be up front about it. I am not going to take a position that is so damn crappy without a definate start date. How can a guy plan a future. I could almost put up with the shared accommodation, but they wouldn't be able to fulfil my spec's for a house mate, I'm ****** sure of that! And it ain't another guy!

Jack had better get to RBA and tell them that the deal isn't anywhere near good enough, and blokes are refusing because of it.

I wonder how many knockbacks he's had. I bet there are some starters, but the won't hang around for long if it stays so trashy.:ooh:

the sleuth
7th Feb 2005, 11:03
shared accomadation...are they joking?

I am wondering how many teenagers have a 767 rating and sufficient experience to qualify for the job...and no school fees?

Is the Jack mentioned the one from rishworths?

sounds like what I heard about recruiting companies is correct..I didn't hear anything good.

COWPAT
7th Feb 2005, 11:59
I have heard tales from the abode that I am loathe to print here. If true, I would have only one message to anyone in RBA with an option

TAKE IT NOW

Borneo Blues
8th Feb 2005, 02:29
Anyone who does a command course will now have to sign another bond. Why cant they just treat people right and then they would want to stay

millerscourt
8th Feb 2005, 05:06
COWPAT

Can I assume from your posting that even you saw the light and left RBA in the end?

COWPAT
8th Feb 2005, 05:37
Yes.

Eventually enough was enough and it had to be done. RBA should be the finest expatriate job going; small company, deep pockets, long haul, short haul, own simulator, tropical island etc but it has had its innards torn out by a CEO who appears desperate to reach a predetermined set of figures to trigger a bonus payment.

I fear for what will be left behind when he reaches his target and leaves.

Traffic
10th Feb 2005, 14:22
RBA and Rishworth...a match made in heaven complete with its own priest.

They deserve each other but not any of you.

xrba
11th Feb 2005, 03:56
In days of yore the abominable Rishworth contract was tolerated, treated like a years unaccompanied posting really, for the opportunity to progress from a local based light twin to a wide bodied jet, and move onto a reasonable contract at the end of it. Now that the regular RBA T&Cs have deteriorated to their present level it just isn't worth the candle. The final insult was when the SIN$ fell so much that the paltry Rishworth pay [in NZ$] was better! Possibly still the case? On a brighter note nobody need worry about sharing accomodation, with the current rosters the little time you spend in BWN you could sleep hanging from a peg on a door. The only thing that will wake you is the grimacing skull kicking the door down to reapply the red hot poker!!

UAE Camel
26th Feb 2005, 05:22
Heard that yet another Capt has been dismissed and has already departed the Abode. What the hells going on? It sure ain't the Abode of Peace that I once knew.

THINALBERT
26th Feb 2005, 11:26
Rumours reaching this corner of the sand pit say that it was a new F/O not a captain and that it was a fully justified sacking. If what I have been told is correct it would amount to wilful endangerment of an airplane. Perhaps RBA can now only attract the pilots nobody else would choose to employ.

xrba
26th Feb 2005, 23:34
Since when has wilful endangerment of an aircraft been a sacking offence in RBA? Surely only a light slap on the wrists is the norm. Please address any queries about this policy to the erstwhile Deputy Training Manager!

THINALBERT
27th Feb 2005, 02:15
And more recently there was the case of the very junior line captain promoted to training captain after stalling an airplane on intermediate approach to BKK. If it had been anyone else but the FTMs protege he would have been sacked or demoted too. All queries on that issue direct to Flight Training Manager. Safe? Standard? Efficient? Rubbish. Try Cronyism, Favouritism, Nepotism.

xrba
27th Feb 2005, 21:25
Thinalbert is absolutely correct. The a/c type was the Airbus, and the pilot Antipodean.

THINALBERT
28th Feb 2005, 01:42
Antipodean is correct but it was a 767.

xrba
28th Feb 2005, 03:44
Apololgies, my memory was faulty then, I thought it was an A320. I suppose the main difference between the 2 incidents is that the first one was due to a criminal disregard for flight safety, the second pure incompetence not malice. Neither should have been dealt with with such leniency. Nice to get such an informed, intelligent response from spoton. Wonder which management cave he crouches in?

Drag96
28th Feb 2005, 07:01
I would like to draw everyone’s attention to what is written on the bottom of every one of the pages of this forum,

"As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions."

It seems to be working.
Maybe this forum would be better served by only allowing people who actually work for the company to post?

THINALBERT
28th Feb 2005, 09:31
Drag, Welcome to the thread. And what would your interest in the thread from the UAE be then?

I am ex RBA, know more about the incident referred to than was ever put in the MOR (I have seen a copy of the DFDR) - which itself was only submitted after a prompt from management - and fully agree with xrba comments regarding leniency. In fact the latter case appears to actually reward the captains incompetence and, shall we say reticence in submitting the MOR, by promoting him.

FTM should fall on his sword over his mismanagement of the whole affair.

the sleuth
28th Feb 2005, 13:08
Hmm...TA, being ex RBA makes me wonder how you got hold of such sensitive information...still have contacts inside I guess...would be interesting to see what would happen to said contact if he/she was exposed...maybe it was bananas...you fellows seem close...would have thought only people in the safety office would have access to such sensitive info as a dfdr.

And what did the F/O do that was such a direct assault on flight safety? Surely an F/O can't have that great an effect unless the commander is also somewhat complacent/incompetent?

Seems to me that a few bitter souls are attacking the company...what reasons who knows...have had emails from a few insiders and they seem happy enough...nowhere is perfect...every company has it's whingers...if we believed everything on this rumour board then everyone from BA,EK,CX,VB,QF,J*, Ryanair..blah blah ad infenitum is no worthy of the efforts of us professionals.

But there seems only one whinging insider here...a certain fruity fellow...and one or two ex RBAs...perhaps there is a connection?

So 2 or 3 unhappy fellows...and only one current in the company...what does that tell us about RBA? Perhaps lots of others not that unhappy?

Alwaya going to be one or two losers who didn't get what they believed was their due recognition...usually incompetence got in the way of their ego...hence bitter.

millerscourt
28th Feb 2005, 13:49
the sleuth

Just a month ago you were asking what aircraft types RBA flew!! How come you are a sleuth.????:{

Go and apply to RBA and if you get taken on then please report back how you find it.

I know lots of people from my old company in UK who used to join RBA but not anymore for all the reasons mentioned by TA and others.

xrba
28th Feb 2005, 21:49
Even someone as uninformed as "the sleuth" might think that the F/O getting out of his seat to exercise whilst the captain is in the toilet might be considered dangerous.

dtur2424
28th Feb 2005, 22:51
I think 'uninformed' is definitely the word here. Or perhaps the sleuth is just trying to wind everybody up.

If he spent a little bit of time reading through some of the pages on this forum he'd soon realise that RBA are in big trouble and have turned themselves (almost overnight) from an airline with fantastic potential into a dangerous cowboy outfit.