PDA

View Full Version : NDB/DME 06 at Schiphol

Ennie
23rd Jun 2003, 22:52
Did anyone have a crack at the NDB/DME last week at Schiphol when the ILS on 06 was U/S?????

I know it was a great few days for the visual approach, but I had a go and have to say, maybe it was my gash tracking or is the 060 radial from the "CH" a bit off line for 06??

Wouldn't have wanted to go down to MDA in **** wetaher!!!!

:E

Otterman
23rd Jun 2003, 23:27
It is my home base. It happens once in awhile at Schiphol. I must say I was very pleased when our aircraft became certified for flying LNAV non-precision approaches with a back up from the navaid on which the flown approach is based. We use GPS as our primary navigation mode now, the triple IRS is just a backup. It has made my life a lot easier flying into Africa and the former Soviet republics, most places actually. Still happens a lot flying into JFK, non precision approaches. Now my only wish is to get the VNAV incorporated and I am sure we will see a substantial decrease in CFIT. All the bits are there, it is just a matter of putting them together. The strength of the NDB receivers in modern aircraft are pretty sad, and you are right it can make flying an NDB a bit of a challenge. Our NDB pointers don't even have a full needle anymore, just a pointer towards the station. The receivers that were in my aircraft when I first started to fly commercially in the mid-eighties in the Canadian Arctic were a lot better (they were also more important, because you had nothing else). .
Regards O.

I know what you meant but NDB's don't put out a radial pattern, maybe that was the problem:D

OzExpat
24th Jun 2003, 16:33
As you're undoubtedly aware Ennie, the NDB (or it's less potent little brother the Locator) isn't the best sort of navaid to be using for a "raw data" approach. However, I believe you'll find that this approach, like all approaches, has gone thru a flight validation process. This process looks at many aspects, including the amount of needle swing/oscillation/confusion etc.

If needle movement is such that the aircraft is likely to leave the procedure's protection area, the approach won't be published. Well, that's how the system is supposed to work anyway and I would think that Schiphol would be one of those places where the system will work. If you're more accustomed to the steadier indications of a VOR or Localiser, the ADF indicator will be hard work... well, it's hard work anyway! :{

The main aspect to it is that you aren't as likely to come out of the approach is the exact position shown n the chart. 9 times out of 10, you'll be about half a mile or so off to the right or left of the nominal position shown on the chart. But, if there's no other type of approach available at the time, it's nice to have this "stone age" stuff around.

They're still a fact of life in this dark corner of the world. :(