PDA

View Full Version : "The Killing Zone"

paulo
23rd Jun 2003, 08:18
Some time back I bought a book, which talks about a risk area in the 100-300 hours area, producing stats to back up the proposition.

What concerns me with this kind of statistic is: given that "we" wind off our training at 100 hours-ish, and then pass up our licenses sometime after - surely there'll be a blip in that area. It's not some magical passage of rights, more like we enter the dodgy bit of our flying (unsupervised, doing the best we can), then pack it in.

If there really was some "zone", for it to be statistically relevant we'd be passing out the other side either safe or dead?

FormationFlyer
23rd Jun 2003, 08:35
Killing zone? 0-000's+

All aircraft kill. Never EVER lower your guard as PIC. The day you do youll find either someone kills you or you kill yourself.

Check yourself. Double check yourself. Always welcome comment from others in a constructive manner....and avoid being a statistic.

RodgerF
23rd Jun 2003, 21:53
At 100 hours you think you know it all
At 1,000 hours you know you know it all
At 10,000 hours you know you'll never know it all

strafer
24th Jun 2003, 22:02
I read the book and what he was saying was that the number of fatal incidents by pilots with 350/400 hours was roughly the same as pilots with 1350/1400 or 2350/2400 hours. The only big statistical jump was in the 50-350 hours range.
A lot these seemed to be caused by pilots with that number logged, thinking they could fly well. (JFK Jr for example).

There's old pilots and there's bold pilots, yada, yada, yada.