PDA

View Full Version : Instructing on Permit to Fly/Private Cat aircraft

FormationFlyer
23rd Jun 2003, 07:33
Hi all,

Following on from another thread...OK..as an instructor we can instruct on permit to fly a/c provided it is owned and/or operated by a club where both instructor and pilot are members

Issue, renewal, etc., of permits to fly
9A (2)(c) With the permission of the CAA, an aircraft flying in accordance with a permit to
fly pursuant to article 8(2)(e) may fly for the purpose of aerial work which consists
of the giving of instruction in flying or the conduct of flying tests, subject to the
aircraft being owned or operated under arrangements entered into by a flying
club of which the person giving the instruction or conducting the test and the
person receiving the instruction or undergoing the test are both members.

So it would appear that to do it is possible but prior permission from the CAA must be required.

I assume there is no problem with a public cat aircraft or aerial work cat aircraft and that we may instruct on these without the 'club membership' - Or is it written somewhere in the ANO that club membership applies?

Aha just found the bit about club membership...Its actually part of the flight crew licences stuff in Schedule 8 of the ANO...

Section 2 – JAR–FCL Licences
AEROPLANE PILOTS
Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)
(5) (a) Subject to sub-paragraph (b), the holder shall be entitled to fly as pilot in
command of an aeroplane of a type or class specified in any flying instructor’s
rating, class rating instructor rating, flight instructor rating or assistant flying
instructor’s rating included in the licence on a flight for the purpose of aerial work
which consists of:
(i) the giving of instruction in flying; or
(ii) the conducting of flying tests for the purposes of this Order;
in either case in an aeroplane owned, or operated under arrangements entered
into, by a flying club of which the person giving the instruction or conducting the

OK. So what about aircraft specifically under either a 'Private Category CofA'?

And another question in addition to the private CofA issue above - just how does an aircraft owned privately become 'operated by' a flying club so that training may be given?

ANO references greatly appreciated....

FF

nonradio
24th Jun 2003, 17:09
Check out the PFA website:

http://www.pfanet.co.uk/aircraft_technical/permit_system/learn_to_fly.asp

cheers

PlasticPro
12th Jul 2003, 02:44
Not sure if this is any help but I used to run a group owned C150 on a private cat. The group consisted 15 or so members. One was an FI an the rest of us ranged from ab-initio to IMC/Night. The lovely people at CAA house allowed us to conduct PPL/night/IMC training as it was a group owned A/C with the fI and pupils as part of the group. The FI was allowed to charge for his services as he held a CPL. I must admit that this was some years ago and I have since left the group. However I keep in touch and know that this arrangement is still extant.

Cheers