PDA

View Full Version : Training progress

TheKentishFledgling
23rd Jun 2003, 05:04
Yesterday, I had a flying lesson, after a break of two months (for exams). I was sure I'd be very rusty, and that all the circuits I flew that day would be pretty poor, and I voiced my concerns to my instructor, and he said this was to be expected.

During the start up and taxy, I asked Craig (my instructor) if he'd fly the first circuit, just so I could "remind myself" of what was going on!

On the first circuit I flew, I really surprised myself - it was one of the most accurate circuits I've ever flown, and the landing was also fairly good. The next few were also good, and after five circuits, I was really starting to relax, and on the sixth approach, I told Craig I was pleased with how I was flying. But, I must have spoken too soon, as the landing off that approach was my worst ever ("mmmm, that one was a bit firmer" says Craig, "ok, maybe a LOT firmer"!).

The last circuit wasn’t so good either, but nothing like as bad as the sixth one!

Back on the ground, we had a chat with the CFI about soloing on my 16th - five weeks last Friday! He spoke to Craig who was fairly confident we could do it. I'm going to aim for a lesson a week, with an extra one the day before my birthday. The CFI also said how the press would be notified that the school have a student soloing on their 16th - now I just pray for the weather to be kind! Fingers crossed!

So now it's just round and round Manston's circuit, and revision of flapless and glide approaches, and EFATOs.

tKF

Pink_aviator
23rd Jun 2003, 05:24
Well done on being able to fly so well.
I'M well impressed that you are only 15.
I will be thinking about you on your birthday,and praying for a sunny cloudless day.
Big smile for the camera on landing.

PINK AVIATOR

Coke611
23rd Jun 2003, 17:02
hey good luck tkf, hope all goes well! I was hoping to solo on my 16th (July 19th), but I think i'll just fly every week and see how it goes!

Cheers

Coke611

Keef
24th Jun 2003, 02:52
25th July 2003

PPRuNeNOTAM: avoid the airspace for 50 nm round EGMH.

Sorry, tKF, I would be there to cheer you on but I'm away in the Midlands lecturing to some poor unsuspecting Americans.

All the best, and make it a good one! My biggest recollection is how much faster the aircraft went UP, and how much less inclined it was to come DOWN again, without Ivan in it.

TheKentishFledgling
24th Jun 2003, 05:19
Cheers Keefy - see you on the 5th??

tKF

Edited for spelling

Morgo
24th Jun 2003, 16:00
I must say that I am envious of your position! I would have busted a gut to be able to learn and be in a position to take my solo on my 16th! alas it wasn't to be, and it was almost a decade later before I could start my learning experience :-)

congratulations BTW :-)

EEJay
24th Jun 2003, 16:54
Good luck and go for it. I wish that I was able to have flown on my 16th.

It took me over 50 years to achieve that ambition - but well worth it.

As mentioned earlier the a/c climbs faster ( where's that landmark?), dosn't want to come down(now what am I going to do?) but fab landing.

A moment you'll never forget.