PDA

View Full Version : do you include a photograph with your application?

733driver
23rd Jun 2003, 02:28
hi fellow aviators,

is it common to include a photograph of yourself when you send an application? Companies in Germany expect it. I know itīs not common in the United States. How about your country? I am looking for info especially regarding european countries like UK, Italy, Belgium...

thanks a lot!

GrantT
23rd Jun 2003, 03:03
In the UK i wouldn't have thought so, unless your getting a job where looks count ie. modelling.

604guy
23rd Jun 2003, 06:51
In Canada it would be unheard of. I have taken part on some recent hiring boards and there wasn't a single picture in the huge number of applications. That included a few from the USA and UK. As it could possibly be seen as some sort of descrimentory practise if someone DIDN'T get an interview it would actually be frowned upon to include a photo. Perhaps another example of a cultural difference?

JJflyer
23rd Jun 2003, 17:21
In Finland even the company application forms have spot to glue a picture. This is apparently a practice around Scandinavia as well. Many of the Asian airlines like EVA and Cathay will want you to send a picture (In EVAīs case 12) with your application. Most of the applications also hold questions for height and weight.
One can only make one assumption as to what companies are looking for. Lean and mean people
:}

Cheers

JJ

witchdoctor
23rd Jun 2003, 18:02
If you are an ugly devil like me, I wouldn't bother, but if you photograph well give it a go. I doubt including a photograph would be seen negatively, so anything which may get your CV/application a second look must be a good thing.

Bubbette
23rd Jun 2003, 21:51
In the US it would be practically illegal for the company to look at it because of the prohibitions against age, race, national origin discrimination. If the job wasn't offerred, the applicant could easily say it was because of my (see above).

fireflybob
23rd Jun 2003, 23:51
Whether it's legal or not in certain states may be relevant but I certainly think it is a very good idea to include a photograph.

It personalises what can be a very "texty" bland statement of who you are and what you have done etc. A picture also speaks to the right hand (creative) side of the brain of the reader which means you are getting another "shot" as to whether you will be picked for interview. It also shows there is a person behind all the facts and figures.

In my opinion it's definitely a good move to put your photo on the c.v. as is also the use of colour in the rest of the presentation.

This is a crisis
24th Jun 2003, 04:17
Quite agree - put a photograph on!!

The aviation world is very small - the more people who know you and recognise you, the better your chances, IMHO, of getting employment. Just make sure you don't upset anyone - they will remember you!!!

733driver
24th Jun 2003, 19:11
Thanks ladies and gents,

I appreciate your views.

How about all the other countries? Keep them answers coming.

Thanks again!

604guy
26th Jun 2003, 10:31
Just goes to show how "up tight" we are in North America! It hits home everytime I am in Europe.

Bubbette
26th Jun 2003, 11:49
Uh, no, just goes to show that we in the US have laws against discrimination. If you're over 40, for instance, do you think you'd want to be sending in a photo showing your age in an application? Probably not.

JJflyer
26th Jun 2003, 15:45
Well then. In US laws that where once designed to protect rights of minorities have done a full circle and are now implemented in a way where majority groups are being discriminated against.

Forcing companies to hire a certain precentage from different ethnic groups is a HUGE load of shait. This will only result in employment of applicants that without these laws would not even be considered.

Being a white caucasian hetero male between age of 20 and 35 makes me a part of a majority and just one of many. Had I been born African-American overweight gay female, I would probably have better chances of getting a job with a US company.

Still I have never heard describe themselves with any of these fancy ethnic-amreican word combos.
Just wondering when all these new Eurotrash laws, rules and standards emerging will we start to categorise people as African-European, Arab-European etc. Would I then be a "Native European ? I am sure that this BS will be brought to EU sooner or later. Good signs about this allready visible.

Cheers

JJ:eek:

Basil
26th Jun 2003, 16:53
In '97 heard of a guy who sent in a photo of himself as the Invisible Man (he was at a fancy dress party).
He got the job and I met him a couple of years later in the LHS of his aircraft.
He said the recruiters invited him along initially to see what kind of nutter would send in such a picture; then decided they liked him and he got the job :ok:

p.s: Wanabees - don't try this at home! ;)

Bubbette
26th Jun 2003, 22:14
JJ, I am not a proponent of "affirmative action" at all, and there are no laws that force companies to hire minorities. I do agree with you that if you are a black woman, you will have a certain edge in certain situations (not at the CEO level though!). However, as I approach a certain age, I can tell you that I am grateful that my employer can't fire me just because I'm "not young."

g5tom
29th Jun 2003, 23:21
My advice is: put as much information in your CV as you can (i.e age,photograph, licences,experience, education,work experience etc.). It is not a disadvantage.
When I'm looking at CV's (sometimes hundreds), I have a clear picture of what kind of person I am looking for. Usually 10 to 20 Applicants get the chance for an interview. If I don't get the necessary information I need - no interview. As simple as that.

Good luck

Pilot Pete
2nd Jul 2003, 03:02
I'd say never in the UK for flying jobs unless specifically asked to do so. If your cv is so 'bland' that you think it needs one then it needs a little more work. The cv is a 'taster' to whet their apetite, better to have something really interesting that they just can't wait to ask you about than to have a mug shot (especially from a photobooth) gummed to the top corner. Unless of course you are a supermodel............................

PP