PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica - Flying

Justiciar
20th Jun 2003, 19:03
Does anyone know where in Jamaica I can hire a light aircraft. I can find absolutely nothing on the internet - no reference to clubs, training schools - nothing! It could just be that the quieter pace of life means no-one is on line there. Help please!

newswatcher
20th Jun 2003, 20:28
According to the US DEA, Jamaica has 73 operational airfields, approximately 41 of which are legal! So you should be able to find something, even if there is a whiff in the air. Gives an entirely different meaning to "grass" strip.:D

Try Timair - http://www.timair.net/planes.htm They have got a number of GA aircraft, and should be able to point you in the right direction.

:ok:

Justiciar
20th Jun 2003, 22:41
Thanks newswatcher. Just what I need!

Mariner9
20th Jun 2003, 22:46
I looked into renting in the Caribbean last year, but best offer I could find was dual flight in an old PA28.

Some problems:

1. You need a FAA licence - no facility to convert JAA ppl in Caribbean. On some of the WIndies you even need to get an FAA licence validated by the local CAA.
2. Very few FBO's willing to rent an a/c for solo hire.

Don't let the above put you off though...flying isn't supposed to be easy (or cheap!)

M9

:cool:

MLS-12D
20th Jun 2003, 23:13
You might try contacting the local CAA at [email protected]; they may be able to provide contact information for some flying schools.

If you're not already committed to Jamaica, perhaps you might want to thing about going to the Virgin Islands, where renting aircraft is apparently easy; see further here (http://www.avweb.com/news/places/183120-1.html)

jayemm
21st Jun 2003, 23:22
I rented a 172 in Jamaica 2 years ago, and the had the time of my life.

I went to Tinsen-Pen airfield (the 'other' one in Kingston, and quite easy to get to), where there is one flying school with quite a few aircraft. I was staying at Runaway Bay on the other side of the island at the time, so went to Tinsen-Pen to plan a day's flying when visiting family in Spanish Town. I booked the day, bought the chart and paid up. Then I arranged for an instructor to fly the 172 over to Boscobel airstrip on the day, where we met up. Gerald, an Air Jamaica wannabe pilot checked me out in the usual manner, and then gave me some mountain flying training in a very professional and cool style. He let me takeover to fly around the Blue Mountains and then I left him on the ground whilst I went up and down the coast to Morant Point by myself.

Jamaica is a beautiful enough island from the ground, but something special from the air. Whatever you do, go flying when you're there!

Feel free to contact me via Private Mail if you wish.

Justiciar
1st Jun 2004, 12:29
Several kind people PM'd me information a few months back. Unfortunately my system has lost it all:{

If anyone has phone numbers or contacts for aircraft hire in Jamaica could you let me have them.

Thanks all

richiec65
18th Jun 2004, 13:43
There are now two flight schools @ Tinson Pen:

Wings Jamaica which operates a C-172. Tel 876-923-5416
No Web Site.

Caribbean Aviation Center, 3x172s and 2x152s
Web site http://www.cacflightacademy.com/
Tel: 876.757.0211 Fax: 876.901.7341
Email: [email protected]

BTW, Gerald is no longer a wannabe Air Jamaica pilot. He's now a first officer on their A320/321s. He used to be my instructor. Now I'm the wannabe.

Justiciar
18th Jun 2004, 14:11
Thanks richiec65

I am already in touch with them in fact - I have been dealing with Errol Stewart who has been very helpful, sending me the sample exam questions for the Jamaican Air Law exam, which you need to get a Jamaican PPL and therefore fly solo. I am looking forward to seeing the Island as few tourists see it. Hopefully if its not too involved I will do the exam.

wbryce
21st Jun 2004, 11:45
Was a bit suprised at seeing this topic since im off to Jamaica in 1 week! :D

Ill be staying in Runaway Bay too, the 2nd time ive been to Jamaica!

Im still pre PPL so i wont be able to hire an aircraft for solo use, wouldn't mind going up for a spin with an instructer just to see the scenary!

Justiciar, when you going out to Jamaica? (i leave on Tuesday, Manchester Airport)

Justiciar
21st Jun 2004, 13:05
I'm not going until 13th August. The people to contact are CAC Flight Academy

http://www.cacflightacademy.com/

There is also 'Wings Jamaica - no web site.

I have been in touch with CAC and they seem very helpful. They fly from Boscobal in the north near Ocho Rios if you are near there.

Have a good trip.

jayemm
21st Jun 2004, 19:08
Runaway Bay is a 30 min Taxi Ride through Ocho Rios to Boscobel.

When I flew there, one crop sprayer was using it, and a few local scheduled flights. Other than that, there were no local rentals, so I hired from Wings at Tinsen Pen, and they flew over to meet me at Boscobel.

Have a great time; it's a fascinating place to fly around.