PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Davis Monthan area?

Bob Tav
20th Jun 2003, 02:41
I could be out in the Davis Monthan area around October time for a couple of weeks. does anybody have any suggestions for aircraft hire in the area or details on any 'Air Combat' type experiences for PPL types? Cheers

witchdoctor
20th Jun 2003, 22:08
Try Fighter Combat International up at Williams Gateway Aiport to the SE of Phoenix. They use a couple of Extra 300's for simulated aerial combat exercises and never seemed to desperately busy for the 3 months I was there a couple of years ago - might be room for haggling!

Don't know about hiring, but might be worth asking at Ryan, a small airfield SW of Tucson. Some fairly interesting places to go fly in the area, including Pinal where they seem to park up loads of widebodies which are either unwanted or knackered, and occassionally visited by the NASA 747 that piggy backs the Shuttle. I'd love to see some of these big boys getting in/out of such a tiny airfield! I'd rather fly to Davis-Monthan, but ground vistors only - still, I guess you knew that already.:O

Flyer Flier
21st Jun 2003, 16:56
Are you the Bob Tav, I used to fly with out at Laarbruch Flying Club all those years ago? Hope you are fine and dandy!

We just went off to Phoenix for a flying holiday in March and had a great time, all our photos are on the WWW button above next to my profile. We hired from AngelAir at Stellar Airpark where they were very friendly. The AMARC tour at Davis really is a must see! We also popped into Pinal, they don't let you wander around, but you get a good look at everything taxiing in.

The link to the fighter combat people is http://www.fightercombat.com

Hope it isn't too tame for someone who was given a back seat Tornado ride on passing their PPL you lucky b*gger! I still haven't forgiven you for that!

All the Best Bob
S&B:D