PDA

View Full Version : Selling Aircraft

gus_honeybun
17th Jun 2003, 06:01
Chaps,

I come in search of a bit of advice. Our group is currently trying to sell our very nice, but a bit underused aircraft. Now, we don't collectively have much experience at this. We have tried the various flying mags, but not really a wiff of interest. Unfortunatly, our ideas are all based around how to sell a car type approach.

So, has anyone any advice for ways of raising the profile of our little putt putt?

Thanks Muchos.

Flap40
17th Jun 2003, 06:09
Try www.afors.com and/or www.thehangar.co.uk both are free.

Southern Cross
17th Jun 2003, 06:38
Be patient. Aeroplane buyers are few and far between. It took 9 months for me to sell a 310Q and I thought it would never sell. Then it sold very quickly at the original asking price to someone who wanted that exact type.

Oh, and do make sure that you are not asking too much - nothing makes a plane stock around more than asking too much for it!

Luck.

flyingfemme
17th Jun 2003, 15:46
Pricing too high will scare off most buyers instantly - you won't even get an inquiry.
When advertising, make sure you use all the pertinent information - YOM, exact model, TT, engine time plus anything that is special or nice about it.
Quote a price - seems obvious, but how often do you see something advertised without a price? Makes me suspicious; how about you?
Target your market; is it a private, corporate or trade sale you are after? For a private, retail sale use the mags but be prepared for a long lead time and tyre kickers. Or go with a broker - but treat them like estate agents, don't always go for the one with the highest valuation! Corporate sales go better in GA Buyer and, for a trade sale, some dealers will buy (not many).
Do you seriously want to sell it or are you "flying a kite"? Discuss this with your group first and decide what you will, or won't accept (be realistic) so that, if a buyer comes along waving a chequebook, you don't have to arrange meetings to accept/reject an offer. Calculate the cost to keep per month and factor that into the asking price.
There are not many aircraft buyers in the UK, so you have to wait for the right one to appear.
I'm assuming that it is not big enough/expensive enough to market abroad and justify the cost of reggie change and ferry?

FlyingForFun
17th Jun 2003, 17:59
So, has anyone any advice for ways of raising the profile of our little putt putt?You mean apart from telling half the aviation world about it via PPRuNe? :D

Is there a difference between how quickly you can sell an aircraft and how quickly you can sell a share of an aircraft? We've never had problems selling shares in my group, either when the group was first formed (I was the 4th of 6 to join the group, the other two places were filled within a couple of months) nor when two members decided to sell recently (both shares sold within a month or two of advertising). Maybe we were just lucky?

FFF
-------------

High Wing Drifter
17th Jun 2003, 19:00
Post a link and maybe you will get more specific feedback. I am certainly curious...although I now have joined a group.

camaro
17th Jun 2003, 19:29
You could also try the classifieds section at www.ukga.com (http://www.ukga.com)