PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Shops

ukhomerj
16th Jun 2003, 18:26
I posted this question on another website, with people not reading the question, so here goes again with hopefully a better audience.

I am looking to purchase some aviation gear, headset and other bits and pieces. I have been to the Transair shop at Fairoaks but wondered if anyone out there has been to any other shops that are bigger, or better.

I want to to try a headset for some time in the shop for comfort etc. I live in the Midlands but prepared to travel for the right shop etc.

All suggestions and comments are welcomed.

BRL
16th Jun 2003, 22:04
Hi there. I would suggest finding out where your nearest pilot shop is and going along there for a visit.

Most pilot shops are quite similar and sell almost all the same gear. Here is where you have to 'shop-around' for a good deal on what you want. Do a search for pilot shops on Google and compare.

It might be worth jumping on a train from the midlands down to the London Transair shop and having a look in there but also find out where others are and see if you can get to them as well.

Take your time when deciding what headset to buy. If you are on a budget it can be a lot of money to invest on and you will have the set for a long time so really make sure what you end up with is what you really feel happy with and not what the shop-assistant wants you to buy. (Not that I have met anyone who works at the local shop that have been pushy, far from it, they give great, honest advice and have the patience of saints if your being particularly dim, like myself sometimes.... ) :)

Keep us posted how you get on and if you go to a shop let us know what you think of the place.
Good luck.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jun 2003, 22:14
Or go down to the PFA rally at Kemble during the start of July, most of the main shops will be there - along with lots of people generally more than happy to talk shop, compare notes,etc. And you can always try and save money by saying "so what will you knock off this headset to make me buy it from you instead of him over there".

G