PDA

View Full Version : about altimeter setting

ZC553043
16th Jun 2003, 14:45
hi everyone, i have been a first office on B737-500 for couple of years, and last month just changed on to B737-800, during my training i found a question, wana get some help from you guys down here.
on the 735 when approching the TRANs ALT, both pilots needs to reset the altimeter, coz it neeeds us to head down ,we always excute a handing over procedue and set the altimeter one by one.and in when app we do it aswell besides this , the PNF set the VHF NAV to manual mode.
but now on 738, the altimeter setting become easier, only needs to press a bottom on the MCP, so when we discuse about the SOP some of us think that the Handing over procedue is unnessisary, how do you gys do in your airlins, can you tell me some of your SOP? i'll be so appreciate for your help.

BlueEagle
20th Jun 2003, 08:57
ZC a good question.

In my last operation on a similar cockpit set up, (B744), we would both set and cross check, this meant that not only did we read out what we were setting but we looked over and visually checked what the other was setting, we would then check again when we actually pressed the button at Transition Level and confirm our settings. We did not hand over aircraft control though.

Navitimer
26th Jun 2003, 16:55
No need to hand over control just to change altimeter settings. But a cross check by both pilots SHOULD be mandatory, aside from a callout at Transition Level and Transition Altitude.