PDA

View Full Version : After the Skills Test

Flock1
15th Jun 2003, 06:53
I finally passed my PPL skills test two weeks ago.

Since then, I have not flown an aircraft at all. (For the first week, I was actually glad to to be having a break from it all - after all, I had just gone through a week of high-intensity flying (QXC/Revision/Skills test)

But now I am itching to get back up.

So here is my quandry.

The school where I trained, can rent me a C-152's (the only type that i've flown), but at a huge cost. And in addition to this, I would have to book the aircraft weeks in advance - thereby becoming a slave to the weather.

So I could join another flying club - which is where my question is now posed. Of the local clubs I have found, it seems that I would have to convert to the PA-28 (which is what I want to do anyway), and because my licence will take another few weeks to arrive, this seems like a logical thing to do.

But what happens when I turn up at this new airfield? Do I simply tell them that my licence is in the post - and can someone please show me how the PA-28 works? How long will this conversion realistically take? And what does the conversion course entail? What happens if I make a balls-up of a landing - will I be required to have more training? And if I decide that the club in question is not for me, will I have to go through the same process again -somwhere else?

Others reading this post, will have surely gone through similar feelings, and it is you, who i hope will advise me on such matters.

Thanks in advance

Flock1

Evo
15th Jun 2003, 13:56
But what happens when I turn up at this new airfield? Do I simply tell them that my licence is in the post - and can someone please show me how the PA-28 works? How long will this conversion realistically take? And what does the conversion course entail? What happens if I make a balls-up of a landing - will I be required to have more training? And if I decide that the club in question is not for me, will I have to go through the same process again -somwhere else?

Sure. Turn up and tell them what you've just told us. :ok:

You'll have to have a couple of hours dual instruction anyway, so they will have a chance to assess your skills, and they'll probably want to see your licence when it arrives. The 'licence in the post' thing doesn't matter, because they wont let you fly their aeroplanes if you aren't competent - licence or no licence. From their point of view the licence is mainly a legal thing.

How long? Well, there are a number of flavours of PA-28, but assuming that you mean the plain-vanilla Cherokee/Warrior rather than the higher-powered/wobbly prop/retractable gear versions then I would expect the conversion should take a couple of hours or so, mostly depending on how well you land it. They'll talk you through assorted speeds and procedures (as you're going from high-wing to low-wing there may be a few new things, e.g. fuel pump), do the normal steep turns/stalls/PFLs etc. (just like your skills test) and then some circuits. Assuming you land it consistently well then they'll probably be happy. The basic PA-28 is a very simple aeroplane to fly, so the checkout is not going to be hard. If you balls up the circuits then not surprisingly they'll make you do them until you get it right.

Will you have to do the same thing elsewhere? Yes. Every club will want to check you out before letting you borrow their aeroplanes. If you've already logged time on a particular type their requirements may be a bit less, but I expect that you'll always have to do an hour or so dual. Insurance :)

EGNTpilot
16th Jun 2003, 00:28
Hi Flock1,
Judging by your location and the mention of PA28's can I assume you are looking to join Newcastle Aero club? If so then I can more than recommend them. I got my licence from them and am currently ploughing my way through the IMC. All of the instructors are friendly and helpful but very professional and would get you back in the air with the minimum of fuss. If you require any more info please get in touch.
PS, the usual caveats apply, not associated with the club in any way other than a satisfied member!!

Steve