PDA

View Full Version : Renting near Vegas

paulo
14th Jun 2003, 18:34
Later this year I'm going to California for a friend's wedding and fancied getting some airtime in - does anyone know how practical it is to, say, do the Grand Canyon? e.g. Get checked out on a PA-28 from an FBO or whatever, then take some friends for a quick sightsee?

Steevee
15th Jun 2003, 01:19
Try the Flight School at Boulder City Municipal Airport. The webpage is at www.ci.boulder-city.nv.us/airport.html.

witchdoctor
16th Jun 2003, 03:46
Just had a friend of mine come back from Vegas. He rented a Turbo Arrow from Las Vegas North and flew out to Canyon West. Nice trip, but I've only done it as a paying punter. Process seemed simple enough - think he had his UK licence validated as a FAA PPL and a check ride with one of the local FI's, then offski. He seemed to enjoy himself. Just don't expect to be able to whizz off down the canyon though - I think there are some pretty strict regs regarding flying inside the National Park area and you really don't want to upset the locals (Nellis AFB just a stone's throw away with some pretty serious hardware and lots of it!). Well worth a bash though, enjoy.:D

paulo
16th Jun 2003, 06:18
Good stuff - looks like the plan is narrowing: Get checked out in a 172 (atfer all I said about hi wing - humph) then punt over to grand canyon, then let someone else fly us for the sightsee bit. Gotta be better than doing the 150m by road. ;-)

david viewing
16th Jun 2003, 20:49
Paulo

You could fly the 172 Vegas - GCN and overnight there. GCN gets very busy at certain times, but late afternoon arrival and early morning departure (cooler - look at the elevation!) could work.

You can fly yourself over the canyon through the VFR corridors at 11,000' and 11,500' (ask for flight following), but nothing beats actually standing on the rim at dawn IMHO.

I have some info at http://www.viewing.com/arizona/canyon/canyon.htm

David

slim_slag
16th Jun 2003, 22:00
Afternoons in that part of the world can be incredibly bumpy, so bumpy it's miserable. I've been up there some afternoons and couldn't get above the mechanical and convective turbulence because of oxygen regulations. Arrive at GCN in the morning, hike around and spend the night at a lodge on the rim. Leave the next morning and fly over the top - or before you arrive if you wish. If you fly over the top take a hand held GPS and put all the waypoints in there, it makes flying the narrow corridors so much easier. Flying when it is cool will also give you better climb to 11500ft. Remember a lot of rental planes are a bit tired and will not give you the performance in the book. You should also be aware of the "gotchas" when at high density altitudes. Not sure Nellis will care too much, but LA centre will know if you bust the SFRA and will ask you to call when you land.

Megaton
16th Jun 2003, 22:06
There are a couple of FBOs at Henderson just south of LV. Handy airfield because it helps you avoid the busy Macarran Class D.

paulo
17th Jun 2003, 01:47
Thanks everyone for the tips - now I'm really looking forward to this. I think I'll get a US sectional this week and start planning. :-)

slim_slag
17th Jun 2003, 02:54
Paulo,

Flying in that area you should get the Las Vegas sectional, Phoenix sectional, Las Vegas terminal chart, and the Grand Canyon SFRA chart.

Why would you want to take one of those boring sightseeing planes when you can fly it yourself? If you want to take friends (plural) you will need something a bit bigger than a PA-28 (warrior or archer I assume) to get high enough to do the Grand Canyon corridors. I'd be thinking C182 if I was you. Should be able to get one for around $100 or so per hour, maybe a bit more, I haven't kept up with those prices.

paulo
17th Jun 2003, 05:35
Slim,

David's site certainly has inspired me to do the VFR corridors. He did it in a 152, but solo.

There's plenty of 172s for hire, but I guess four up they are going to have a similar struggle to a Warrior. There's a 182 and an Arrow at North Las Vegas, but the checkout requirements mean the beefier mount will be a bit of an indulgence - I've got no complex/'high power' time, so I'd need to a good few hours with them to get signed off...(but hey, might be worth it just for the experience).

Thanks for pointing me at the right sectionals!

[Update: One of the rental places is saying that a 180hp 172SP would be up to the job. Any thoughts?]

slim_slag
17th Jun 2003, 07:32
paulo,

The experience needed for flying a 182 is really an insurance requirement, not that it makes any difference where the requirement comes from because you need it. The plane itself is just a 172 with a big heavy front end, so you need to do a load of landings with an instructor to make sure you don't hit nosewheel first and trash it. The high performance part is no big deal, you just have an extra knob to pull/push.

182s are great machines. They can haul a huge load at high density altitudes, far more than the handbook suggests, or so I have been told ;) . You should be checked out in a couple of hours, and some places will hire them to you like that if you have 100 PIC. Try a few places, VGT is one of many in that area.

Looks like they have got a lot more expensive since I last looked!

Loads of fun to be had, don't worry about the LAS class B, request a full stop on the runway that parallels the Strip. Great view off your right side on final.

maggioneato
18th Jun 2003, 19:28
I flew out of Henderson in a 172, over to the Hoover Dam, then on to the Grand canyon. In my opinion it's best viewed from the ground as well, as from the air you don't get the shadows that seem to change the look of it, also to be able to sit in awe and take in the beauty which you don't get in such a brief look down from an aircraft. Whatever you do, enjoy it, it's well worth the journey.

eveepee
18th Jun 2003, 21:44
I had a wonderful 2.5hrs flying out (with instructor) from North Las Vegas.....Over The Strip, Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. Can thoroughly recommend the club and have sent you a copy of the email I received from them prior to my trip. You'll Love it :D

Bob Tav
20th Jun 2003, 02:35
Good to see that Henderson Sky Harbor got a mention. If it is still there check out Desert Southwest Aviation. Good outfit, good atmosphere and very friendly and helpful. I did a trip out to DeatValley, good trip and the Hoover Dam. Its worth the check rides etc. Good luck and happy landings