PDA

View Full Version : RVSM Question ?

V1 Rotate
13th Jun 2003, 22:06
Hi Guys,
Can someone please help. I fly a Citation 5 around the US. Although it is very well equipped it doesn't yet comply to RVSM.
I have been asked to fly to Europe via Iceland. Can I fly above the RVSM levels then decend through them into Rekyavik ? Where can I look this up ? Who can help?

V1 Rotate

BALIX
13th Jun 2003, 22:43
V1

Don't know the definitive answer but I'd be happy for you to do so in my airspace and I've not seen anything written down that says you cannot. I think the rule is that you can't fly at RVSM levels but this doesn't preclude you from flying through them to get to the non-RVSM levels above.

Flying into Reykjavik means you will have to fly through MNPS airspace as well where different rules apply and you may need to descend to FL280 by the Reykjavik boundary.

14th Jun 2003, 02:26
You are not allowed to fly at RVSM levels while not being RVSM equipped, unless of course you are a government flight. It is however allways the controllers prerogative to accept or decline your request for climb. I have accepted non-RVSM flights on several occasions as long as I can keep the aircraft in my sector and not affect another sector which might border on mine. The guys are usually very sticky when it comes to non-RVSM tfc. These flights are mostly a pain in the butt. I often wonder how we managed before RVSM was introduced.

In your case, the flightplan processing center will put your requested flight level as FL270 or FL280 depending on semi circular. (even if you requested higher than that)The upper sectors will never know about you as the flight is planned in the lower airspace. You would then have to keep nagging the lower sector controller for climb and clearly state that you would like to climb non-RVSM to FL430. This chap should then check with his upper sector if he is willing and/or able to accomodate your climb through those F-Levels. Once your up there it should be plane sailing. Most of the following sectors would accept the tfc at that altitude as there is very little else that cruises up there.

I dont know who does the flow control for the north atlantic. Is it Brussels as well? Maybe you could check with the unit responsible for that area ahead of time and maybe you could get special dispensation for the climb, cruise and descend.

Cheers and have a good flight

14th Jun 2003, 15:02
Flying above RVSM airspace is certainly permissible, and is regularly done. The problem is climbing and descending; consider that the controller will provide you with a cocoon of protection from other aircraft....in your case the mental assimilation of a four-dimensional traffic scenario may sterilise too much air to be a practical possibility.....like all things in ATC if workload allows.....no problem. Additionally certain areas are classified as "transitional airspace "and allow non-RVSM aircraft to transit the RVSM band climbing/descending in order to comply with the requirements of the next ATC unit. The transitional airspace allows concorde to operate in the UK. By the way another consideration for you...I hope you have an 8.33 spaced radio. otherwise you may be level capped in Europe for that reason alone. If you are a hospital flight we will always bust-a-gut to help, even at the expense of diverting other traffic and reducing our immediate sector capacity by blocking levels. Here's a useful tip. you probably don't turn up unannounced at a friends house....same thing with ATC....if you telephone before you commence a sector of your flight we can tell you what the situation is. It's all down to human nature, once we are in the problem loop we tend to be more sympathetic and willing to make the extra effort

V1 Rotate
14th Jun 2003, 22:48
Guys thanks for the valuable info so far.
It is purely the decent from 430 into Rekyavik that I am concirned about. Although we are 8.33 equiped and the plane is just about State of the art, I appreciate that around Europe we will be kept down. The legs there are very short any way. Its just the leg from the US to Iceland where I need to get up to get the range and safe reserves.
Does anyone know who controls the upper airspace ove Iceland ?

Thanks
V1 Rotate :ok:

Air Driven Generator
14th Jun 2003, 23:09
www.eur-rvsm.com

ADG :mad:

brimstone
15th Jun 2003, 02:48
V1 - This reply comes with a health warning that you should check with other sources.

The airspace over Iceland is part of the Iceland Air Traffic Control Area which covers Iceland and Greenland and extends from just west of the Norwegian coast to the east coast of Canada. The Reykjavik Area Control Centre provides ATC services within the Oceanic and Domestic sectors.

As far as your original question is concerned there are special arrangements for non-RVSM approved aircraft to climb and descend through RVSM levels.

MNPS aircraft that are not approved for RVSM operations can be permitted, subject to traffic, to climb and descend through RVSM levels in order to attain cruising levels above or below RVSM airspace. When cleared, flights should climb or descend continuously through the RVSM levels without stopping at any intermediate level and should report leaving current level and report reaching the cleared level.

Hope this helps

Scary Harry
15th Jun 2003, 22:36
As long as you can be at FL430 by your coast out fix ( ie LOACH, PORGY) it is not a problem. I am not sure of the exact rules in RK's airspace for descent, but it is not an uncommon practice for non-RVSM flights to fly from Goose Bay to BIRK at FL430.

V1 Rotate
18th Jun 2003, 10:50
Just one more small thing guys, who actually controls the airspace from 430 down into Rekyavik ?? Are they in Rekyavik themselves ? Maybe a phone #?

Many Thanks guys

V1 Rotate :ok:

18th Jun 2003, 14:08
Mr Thorgeir Pálsson
Director General
Civil Aviation Administration
Reykjavik Airport
101 Reykjavik

Phone:
+354 5 69 41 10
+354 5 69 41 00

FAX:
+354 5 62 36 19

Email:
[email protected]

Maybe this guy can help you further. He seems to be the big boss in Iceland Civil Aviation.
Check out www.caa.is

V1 Rotate
18th Jun 2003, 22:11
That's a big help. Thanks 126 !

:ok:
V1 Rotate