PDA

View Full Version : TC Approach @ West Drayton

Swift
9th Jun 2003, 22:12
As someone considering the move to TC, which sector are you likely to start training on? Are you thrown in at the deep end (EGLL) or do you start small (EGGW) and work your way up? Do you have a choice? Also, how many sectors can you expect to hold validations on?

Finally, what's it like to work there? People OK? etc, etc.

Jerricho
9th Jun 2003, 23:15
Hey Swift,

An approach posting to TC can mean starting in any of the approach positions, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead or Luton. It can depend upon which watch you are posted to and, of course, the staff numbers (or projected staff numbers....people leaving (!) retiring etc) for the various group. Our watch at the moment has 3 ab-initio trainees, one each at EGLL, SS and KK. Another watch not that long ago had an EGLL Tower Supervisor who hadn't done it for a while just validate again as well (hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this!).

As with anywhere in the world, each Airport has its problems (whether is be Heathrow and it's lack of airspace and volume of traffic, or "Essex" radar providing services to both EGSS/GW traffic, as well as services outside controlled airspace). But then, that's half the fun of it.

Reference cross rating, there are some Heathrow guys that hold either TMA validations or other airfields (as does the mad jock on our watch who does both TMA South and EGLL). And some of the Essex and EGKK people are cross validated as well. Rostering can determine what hat you have to wear somedays.

It ain't such a bad place to work................(I'm just gonna duck and wait for the comments!)

Swift
9th Jun 2003, 23:57
Thanks for your comments Jerricho.

How long does it take to validate on each of the sectors? Does a few years experience under your belt stand you in good stead (or not as seems to be the case at EGLL Tower)?

Will I be able to afford to buy a house within 100 miles of the Unit?!

Warped Factor
10th Jun 2003, 01:58
Swift,

Validation targets are, I think, in the region of 350-400hrs.

Previous experience should always stand you in good stead and if you come you should have the benefit of our sooper dooper new sim that is just being finished off.

If you do LL approach that is considered sufficient. If you do any one of KK/SS/GW you can expect to have to do one of the other two as well. Some lucky folks do all three. If you want to do one in particular first it doesn't hurt to ask I suppose, but unit needs will come first.

I suppose housing is expensive, but you get used to it :ouch: Like anywhere there are expensive and less expensive areas to live in. And then of course in a few years we're all off down to the riviera.

We're a pretty friendly bunch in TC, so come on down and have some fun :)

WF.

Jerricho
10th Jun 2003, 02:27
Swift, check your PM's.....