PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instruction for Dummies

gus_honeybun
7th Jun 2003, 04:17
O Learned Ones,

After recently completing the CPL, I am about to start my FI course in the forseeable. However, I am a little concerned. Allow me to expand.

Although the FI course I will attend is very well respected and I am sure that the instruction I will receive will be superb, I have never ever taught anything to anyone before in my life. So although I may understand the lesson I will want to teach, but can I actually teach it?
Maybe the art of teaching will come with experience, but it's not particularly fair on any poor student between now and me becoming super-instructor. The last thing I want to do is waste anyone elses money.

So, I ask for any tips or help that can be thrown my way to help me. Reference to any reading material that can prepare me mentally will be greatly received or any anecdotes that have helped you become a better instructor.

Gus.

DB6
7th Jun 2003, 04:39
Are you sure you've never taught anyone? Have you shown someone how to use a computer? How to play a golf stroke? How to cook a burger? How to put oil in a car? More importantly did you enjoy it when they learnt from you? Basically all you are doing is showing somebody how to do something, letting them have a go then telling what they are doing wrong, or right as the case may be. Teaching is great, don't worry about it. All the stuff that comes with the FI course is more to do with standardising what is taught. There is also an emphasis nowadays on 'how to teach' but when you find yourself being told to 'look the other person in the eye when you speak to them' you can't help thinking there's an American (bless 'em) influence creeping in somewhere :ugh: .

justanotherflyer
7th Jun 2003, 06:04
Check out this forum frequently. Subscribe to "Pilot" and to "Flying" and also the websites of AOPA and Avweb .

Read Saint-Exupery, Langwiesche, Dick Collins, and especially this inspiring website (http://www.whittsflying.com/).

You'll feed plenty of passion and practical wisdom from all of these with which to excite and encourage your students.

I am sure there are many more sources others would like to suggest.

BEagle
8th Jun 2003, 03:26
I've always said:

Imagine you're trying to teach a Martian to play cricket. You can't use jargon, you can't rely on pre-course knowledge. Keep the basic concepts simple and then build on them once the student has grasped them.

The basic 'teaching and learning' module will give you some ideas, but you must also develop a personal style - AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE FUN!!

You'll never forget the first student you send solo......

Luke SkyToddler
10th Jun 2003, 17:29
You're right about that BEagle ... the little b*st*rd's filling a 777 right seat at cathay now, and emails me photos every other week just to rub it in :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

orionsbelt
11th Jun 2003, 08:21
Good on you Gus
The fact that you are thinking along those lines is a good start.
The flight instructors manual by R D Campbell is a good reference.
Also find youself a Good old long in the tooth 6000hr CFI/FI
buy him the odd pint and listen to what he has to say.
Good Luck

Julian
11th Jun 2003, 16:06
Not a flying instructor but used to instruct diving to mixed gas level for a few years.

Good technique I always found when trying to teach a particular drill is not to teach it all in one go but to break it down. We used to try and break a task down into about 5 steps from start to completion - found students used to pick things up a lot quicker rather than trying to do everything at once and mucking it up! Once they know what they are doing they will naturally become less mechanical about the drill and perform whatever task is required of them.

Tinstaafl
11th Jun 2003, 21:40
That's called 'chaining'. It's possible to teach the segments in sequence or in reverse order - 'forward chaining' & 'backward chaining'. Sometimes one is more suitable to a task than the other.

NorthSouth
13th Jun 2003, 07:01
orionsbelt:

The flight instructors manual by R D Campbell is a good reference.

I presume you mean it's the type of book which sits on your shelf and you always think will help you out, but....

No offence to the guy but this kind of turgid paternalistic 1950s stuff is really not appropriate to the world instructors live in in 2003.

If it was a good reference book maybe it would have an index.

So Gus, when you get your FI rating, do us all a favour and write the new text book. I would only they don't pay me enough:sad:

flycat
14th Jun 2003, 05:27
One good reading book for all future flight instructors is "The Flight Instructor's Manual by William K. Kershener", althought he is an american pilot and some of the maneuvers and procedures might be different in the UK, he has some really good advise. Also, reading on the Flight Instructors manual from the FAA might not be a bad idea, at least you will learn about some of the psicology involved in teaching and how to prepare some lesson plans. The FAA updated the book about 2 years agoo to a big improvement.
An the best recomendation, just take any simple task that you do everyday (let's say walking) and try to teach yourself or somebody else how to do it. Think from the simple to the complex, explain estep by setp procedures, and then try to do it at the same time that you are actually doing that task. It might seem silly but it works!
There are many books out there that talk about teaching, try to get your own set of books (aviation ones) and the more knowledge you have, and more different ways to explain - teach subjects, the easiest it will be to do it your self. remember not two students are the same, so you will have to change your teaching style many times.
Good luck with your Flight instructor training, and just go for it.

FormationFlyer
14th Jun 2003, 07:33
On a personal note here.....regarding how rewarding instructing can be....

Today I finished a course of flying with three air cadets on a light aircraft flying scholarship - all went solo and completed their 12 hours. Last night they presented me with a limited edition print of a wellington bomber - signed by all of them.

Sometimes words dont really say it. I was quite taken aback and had to hold back the emotion....

It would appear that over the 1.5 weeks I got to know them that they thoroughly enjoyed their course - that alone was thanks enough for me as an instructor to see their beaming faces after they solo'd and knew they had an extremely coveted set of FS ATC wings...(apparently very very rare...).

So I guess the bottom line is - sometimes I get suprised and something happens that makes it worth more than anything words or money can say....instructing is a truely rewarding (and learning) experience. Enjoy yourself. I do.

Back to the subject....
Will Kershner did an aeros book which I have - not seen the instructor book..however my tips are....

Never criticise your student - apply constructive comments that allow them to help themselves - sometimes allowing certain situations to go just a little 'too far' can also serve as a useful teaching point as why something should or shouldnt be done.

Never exceed your own ability, nor let the student exceed it.

Watch their hands like a hawk - whilst looking out the window and appearing confident :)

Always appear to have the fullest confidence in them. Especially the underconfident ones - make a point of saying how easy it is..it is isnt it? Please dont tell me its hard - Im still in denial ;)

Lookout. It is difficult to teach and look out - but you can talk and look out and look at the student all at the same time....remember everyone else is trying to kill you out there - and if you let your lookout lapse theyll come close :uhoh:

Admit your own mistakes - so your student may learn by them - if you screw up the demo - turn it into a lesson on how to recover & sort the situation out!! It can be equally valuable. And yes. I am not god. I am extremely fallable (?!)......i do make mistakes - and many of them at that - but at least I try to get it reight all the time :)

Let your student fly AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. You have nothing to prove - you have done the exams & tests - let them fly the aircraft.

Let them do the radio from call #1. They dont know what to expect and therefore arent half as daunted after you have used the radio for 5-10 lessons....

most importantly....

MAKE IT FUN & have a laugh with them - I enjoy my flying immensely - and I try to ensure my students do too.

Regards,
FF