PDA

View Full Version : Listening out before you transmit

4th Jun 2003, 17:27
Can anyone explain why it is that some pilots appear to only listen for a break in the Tx and then start to speak opposed to actually listening to the whole conversation? For example during the passing of clearances, many times have i heard pilots step on the readback, do they not listen out properly or what? any thoughts, just curoius thats all

Arkady
4th Jun 2003, 17:45
The most obvious answer is the use of multiple frequencies without cross-coupling (retransmitting the air station on the ground frequency), so the offending aircraft does not know he/she is stepping on someone else.

I guess you only use a single frequency for clearence delivery, so the answer is probably dead patches around your airfield where an A/C transmitting in one place cannot be heard by an A/C listening out in another. I have no technical reason to back this up but the only reason I can think of for stepping on an already broadcasting station is that you haven't heard it.

Perhaps the headset volume in the A/C has been turned right down - is it independant of the intercom volume?

BOAC
4th Jun 2003, 18:11
.....or lack of airmanship?

GK430
4th Jun 2003, 18:28
Yes BOAC and ignorance.

I cannot understand why some have to cut in when they fully appreciate that either pilot or ATCO has to respond to the other as an affirmation of the last transmission.

Patience is a quality that is fast disappearing across the globe:hmm:

Kliperoo
5th Jun 2003, 05:09
I agree with the airmanship idea. Numerous pilots in my part of the world have none, or very little, however one technical issue could very well be the transmitters and recievers themselves as stated before. In some parts of New Zealand (my part) you can be within 1 Nm of the transmitter and get no response, simply because of terrain. The same goes with airports. Muliple close frequencies, a distant antenna for the 'drome (ours is about 7 miles south west of the 'drome) and adverse weather conditions can all add up. But I would say that airmanship takes about 60% of it!

Slim20
5th Jun 2003, 16:30
Hmm. No-one mentioned pressure from overwrought captains trying to get moving in a hurry. "Come on make the call, we're tight for time here", etc