PDA

View Full Version : JAR OPS Vs JAR FCL

PPRuNeUser0215
2nd Jun 2003, 02:33
Hi

I have been reading JAR FCL regarding the possibility to hold more than one type rating on one's licence and as i supected (but it's JAR we are talking about), there is no restriction.

None besides the one laid by JAR OPS (ahhh, i knew there was something somewhere), which says.... Well, what does it say really ?

Here's my question then.

I hold a current type rating on an AC with a MTM greater than 5700 Kgs but I would like to Freelance on something smaller, perhaps a turboprop or a light jet.
Is it possible then for me, to operate the second aircraft in public transport as a Captain. If it is, is there any restriction on the type of AC, operations (single crew/Multi crew) ?

If I was doing that, there will be no conflict of duty and that would be with my employer's approval so for those in the know, please, could you advise ?

Cheers

redbar1
3rd Jun 2003, 16:50
Hi Amex,

You will want to look up JAR-OPS 1 (Aeroplane, as I take that is your thing), para 1.980 (Page 1-N-5), and Appendix 1 and AMC to same para. There are different limitations, dependent on not MTM but rather divided into MultiPilot / SinglePilot, with sub-divisions into Piston / Turboprop and so on.

To generalize, the limit will normally be two or three types, but you will have to look up your actual situation to make sure. Sorry that I don't have time to find and paste quotes of above items, but you'll find at least Section 1 (i.e. not the AMC) on the JAA website.

Cheers and good luck,
RedBar1

Meeb
3rd Jun 2003, 17:12
Under CAA rules one could only operate 1 Perf A type (with no restriction on additional Perf C or E types), but I believe under JAR you can operate 2 different Perf A types with no restriction (other than normal FTL's etc).

Edited to add that I think there might be a restriction on the 2 Perf A types in that they have to be for the same operator.

To answer you question AMEX, if you are looking to fly a Perf C or E type in addition to your Perf A type I do not think there is a problem.

PPRuNeUser0215
3rd Jun 2003, 18:40
Thanks Meeb and Redbar1, now that I have been given the right section to look into, it should help.

With Reference to the Multi pilot/Single Pilot restriction, I remembered something about it as well. Perhaps this means that the single pilot, night, 40 years old, twin oil leaking, piston at FL100, in ice with patched inner tubes stuck on the wings are truly over for me then !!! :D :D

If anyone has any practical experience with the subject (the origianl question), please keep the info coming.

Turbine1
5th Jun 2003, 17:05
Welcome to world of

"well we'll just put that in the book when we get back"!