PDA

View Full Version : DHC 6/300 question

himalaya
30th May 2003, 20:13
I had applied in a place for Dash 8. the requirement being 500+ hours in a multicrew Turboprop. unfortunately the answer I got was since the twinotter is a single crew certification aircraft, my experience do not meet their requirement. I have been flying in DHC-6/300 as in a multi crew operation since last 6 years both as a copilot and a captain.
Could any one please explain this situation ?

Thanks in advance,

himalaya

expedite_climb
30th May 2003, 23:54
Sounds like they made a mistake / sent the wrong letter.

Write again, explaining you have the requirements, or ring them.

411A
31st May 2003, 08:14
Have operated DH6 aircraft in the past (first in1966) both single and multi-crew...it definately is NOT a multi-crew aircraft, it only 'becomes' one when the regulatory authorities demand same for the type of operation.

Lets face facts here.
Dead simple aeroplane, altho very reliable.
Examples of multi crew aeroplanes would be...F27, HS748, DH8...well the list goes on.

Having said this, the respective airlines' requirement for 'former' multicrew ops is nonsense. Any competent pilot can be trained for a first officer position, even with low hours. It is not rocket science.

Suspect the respective airline has poor trainers/check pilots.
They really should pull up their collective socks and do the job...right.

wandrinabout
2nd Jun 2003, 17:54
emphasize the point that although the twotter is certified single pilot, the authority which you operated under required your particular operation to operate as 2 crew - I presume 2 crew was required due to pax numbers, or IFR ops without aotopilot.

Sheep Guts
3rd Jun 2003, 10:05
Yeah I get that all the time. It is single Pilot, but as said if the authority where you fly requires it and your SOPS and OPS Manual are deisgned around operating it M/C. Theres no reason why it shouldnt be counted. I would write back witha reference from a colleage in your company or Chief Pilot explaining the Mult Crew Policy at your company. I agree with 411a Multi / Crew is not that hard especially when good training is in place. Sounds as though they dont want to do much Training or their Training Department is wanting. Most companies, I feel, want guys so they can mould into their SOPS and less experience is Better when learning Multi Crew, as Ive found. Going from 4000hrs Single Pilot Ops to Multi./ Crew Captain required some reprogramming for me :)

Regards
Sheep

Lord Lucan
3rd Jun 2003, 16:44
I had about 800 hours Twottering in Indonesia – 2 crew. When I came to Europe to convert my licence for the UK ATPL, the CAA gave me an exemption for the MCC course due to this experience.

I had to get a letter from the company I flew with stating that national regulations required two crew operations, and this was accepted by the CAA.

So, if it is good enough for the CAA, one would think it should be good enough for the airlines.