PDA

View Full Version : Are you a first born?

Seven Squared
30th May 2003, 20:06
I have noticed that the vast majority of pilots that I have met are first born children.
I thought it would be interesting to see if this is actually true or that it has just been a
bizzare coincedence?

So to all pilots - are you the a first born?

P.S
I wanted to have a poll but I wasn't given the option :(
perhaps a moderator could ammend that.....

wobblyprop
30th May 2003, 20:50
I'm first born.

Someone i'm training with is the middle one. Someone else i'm training with is first born AFAIK.

Localiser Green
30th May 2003, 22:23
I recall doing a little test of this at OATS in a groundschool class and we effectively concluded from our (albeit small and statistically invalid!) experiment that it was actually a pretty mixed bunch.

More first borns of course but there are everywhere right? It wasn't significantly more...

I am a third born, my older cousin who flies for BA is a third born.

Would be interesting to take a random sample of pilots and put this to the test...

McD
30th May 2003, 23:18
If I remember correctly, this topic has been done previously at least once. Try a search on these forums, and you might find more information readily available. (However, I realize that some of these threads may have been lost over time, so no offense intended.)

FWIW, I'm a last-born (4th child), and know many other pilots -- all who have had a successful flying career for 15-30 years -- who are not first-borns.

It's an interesting theory, but I'm not quite sure that the actual reality supports the initial perception.

Seven Squared
31st May 2003, 00:05
I did try and search the forums, but I didn't find a thing? Maybe the thread got lost - maybe i'm just dumb!

I'll have a little search again.

[update]
Yep - I'm dumb!

Found the previous threadhere (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36230)

From what I read of it, there appeared to be a first born majority.
It would be interesting to poll it - but for some reason I can't. :(

rmmonteiro
31st May 2003, 01:39
i´m first born, but i have people training with me that are 2nd and 3rd born.

cheers

RMM

wandrinabout
3rd Jun 2003, 00:57
yup - first born also.

No. 3 in the sequence is also a pilot however.

buduci kolega
4th Jun 2003, 23:07
It is very interesting...I am firstborn,have a brother.My father and grandfather are also firstborns,and we are all pilots :} :cool:
There is also one more interesting thing I noticed:most of the pilots,some 70 percent,are of my height,or shorter.As I am 175cm tall,5 foot 10 inches,I think,I'd say we are a pretty short bunch :D

Waldo
4th Jun 2003, 23:24
I,m not the first born but am left handed. I believe a very high percentage of pilots are left handed (something to do with co-ordination)

steamchicken
4th Jun 2003, 23:33
Version 1.0 as well..

Pilot16
4th Jun 2003, 23:40
Im a first born as well! No one ever has been a pilot in my GENERATION ever...!

The Boy Lard
5th Jun 2003, 01:46
Crikey,

I'm first born, left handed AND 5' 10", this has to be an omen:O

TBL

chiglet
5th Jun 2003, 05:21
I'm firstbourne [sic] and an ATSA11. However I have noticed that a lot of ATSA111s and ATCOS are "left handed". I myself was left handed, but "forced" to use my right hand at school....am I a failure? :confused:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

6th Jun 2003, 09:23
2nd of 2. Altho everyone thinks I'm older than no.1. Must be the flying that ages you.......

IcarusGR
6th Jun 2003, 10:57
Second Born, Left Handed, 5'10

:O

Justforkix
6th Jun 2003, 17:20
First born, 6' and right handed. Often find that I'm the short one when flying with young FO's. Population getting taller all the time. ;)

MaximumPete
6th Jun 2003, 18:34
First born, left handed and 6ft 3ins

MP:hmm:

Luis Laria
6th Jun 2003, 21:10
Woops! I just asked ppl in my company and guess what? 70% is first born (me included). 80% is at least 1,80 height but only 25% is lefthanded.

Interesting :ok:

Cool_Hand
6th Jun 2003, 21:31
Fourth born, 5'10", left handed.

ATPMBA
7th Jun 2003, 07:52
I heard that flying is a right-brain activity, which controls the left hand which means it's more of an art than science. Many artists are left-handed, flight planning is left-brain activity, computations, etc. Landing in a cross-wind is right-brain.

:cool:

bronlund
7th Jun 2003, 16:47
My mothers second born, and my farthers first born..:confused:
And i'm right handed..:ok: .. but he is not..

paulo
7th Jun 2003, 21:27
3rd, right handed, and struggling to see wtf anyone cares. Next up, a "what's your favourite colour" thread. :rolleyes:

Pirate
7th Jun 2003, 22:14
Caution would be needed before drawing conclusions from data such as this, since the number of families with a single offspring is statistically significant in Western Europe, all these counting as firstborne.

For the record, firstborne (of two), right handed, started at 5ft 10ins, now 5ft 9ins, probably due to too much time pulling 6g in my mis-spent youth.:{

buduci kolega
8th Jun 2003, 18:47
Hey Paulo,what the heck,why not :) This job gives you certain amount of spare time ;) Forgot to say,right handed,all of us.

Heli-Ice
8th Jun 2003, 19:58
I'm no. 9 out of 10. 5'10", right handed, fly helicopters, have very little brain, able to read speak and write.

Looks like I will have a bright future.

:D