PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Attempted Hijack 29/5/03

BRISTOLRE
29th May 2003, 20:11
ATTEMPTED HIJACK TODAY
QF1737 Melbourne-Launceston

A man was arrested as a QF aircraft that was enroute Melbourne to Launceston Tasmania turned back.
Hijackers tried to storm the cockpit and threatened to crash the plane.
In the event 2x stewardesses were slashed with razors.

Swines! Let them rot in hell for this,

Full story on the BBC.

lomapaseo
29th May 2003, 20:31
I believe that they were stabbed/slashed with chopsticks before he was overpowered by passengers/crewmembers.

Techman
29th May 2003, 20:36
From the BBC
Geoff Dixon, chief executive of Qantas, said that the man was armed with two, small wooden stakes around 15 cm (5.9 inches) long.

So no "razors" or "hijackers".:rolleyes:

blueloo
29th May 2003, 20:52
more info @ dunnunda

hijack attempt (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=91432)

:sad:

BRISTOLRE
29th May 2003, 22:56
If it wasnt a hijack attempt what was it then?
A disagreement with the catering?

GlueBall
29th May 2003, 23:09
BRISTOLRE: It could be that you are confusing hijackers or aerial terrorists with mentally handicapped persons. There is a big difference. :ooh:

Techman
29th May 2003, 23:10
No BRISTOLRE, I was simply refering to the inaccuracy of your post.

The "Hijackers" turned out to be one possible "hijacker".
The "Stewardesses" turned out to be one stewardess and one steward.
The "razors" turned out to be wooden stakes/sticks.

Perhaps you should actually read the news you are refering to.

Sperm Bank
30th May 2003, 08:43
Here are some of the latest FACTS.

1. A 40 year male attemted to get access to the flight deck.
2. He wanted to get access so that he could crash the a/c. (his words).
3. To get access he used 2 machined wooden instruments specifically to assist him achieve his objective.
4. He used these instruments to attack 1 male and 1 female flight attendants.
5. Both F/A's received cuts to the head.
6. The male F/A wrestled the perpertrator back to approx row 12 of the B717. He was assisted by an off duty soldier and another passenger.
7. IT WAS AN ATTEMPTED HIJACK THAT WAS FOILED BY SOME QUICK THINKING.
8. Irrespective of the perpertrators dillusional state, he could have caused a serious accident.
9. Just because this guy was not a psycopathic fundamentalist, does not mean he was not a hijacker.

I think it is high time we addressed this problem with some pro-active thinking. Most airline companies appear to still insist on the mundane approach to these morons. It doesn't work!

Phoenix_X
30th May 2003, 17:55
Spermbank,

If it was because of this man's state of mind (ie. lost), than nothing will stop these people. Punishing them with the most painful and horrifying punishments will not stop the fuses blowing in someone elses mind and doing thesame thing.

If it was, ofcourse, a pre-planned thing by a completely 'sane' (ie no fuses blown in the brain) it's a different matter entirely.

Stratocaster
30th May 2003, 23:34
Isn't it ironic that the most effective way to stop those fanatics and weirdos is exactly what security staff doesn't like to see on airplanes and tries to discourage from getting close to airplanes: crew and pax !!!
:confused:

There's still obviously lots of ways to smuggle "weapons" on aircraft. But everybody onboard is so scared now that if you wanted to do a "9/11 attacks - episode 2" you'd need to fill half the plane with terrorists to have a chance to reach the cockpit. Or try to "express-mail" yourself on cargo planes.

I can already hear the security freaks say: "we need more security, we need more people, we need more equipment, and we definitely need more full cavity searches !!!"
:bored:

The only example not going in that direction (that I can think of for the moment), is the three guys arrested in Jeddah last week before they got into the plane. All the others who've been stopped in time were already IN the plane. Any other example ?

6000PIC
31st May 2003, 01:38
It`s too bad capital punishment isn`t an option in Oz, I say give him a quick but fair trial ( GUILTY !! ) and then hang the bastard from the nearest lampost - we gotta deal with these incidents MUCH , MUCH more severely.:mad:

Phoenix_X
31st May 2003, 19:15
6000PIC, no punishments are going to stop fuses blowing in people's minds.....:(

Kaptin M
31st May 2003, 20:30
Perhaps not, Phoenix_X. But faulty fuses are replaced - not repaired.

Meaning that airlines don't need the 'return custom' of this type of person.

Treat them - by all means - but there is no need to slot them back into the same, or similar position, to see if the repair work will stand up to the next test, at the risk of blowing ALL the other light bulbs connected into the same circuit.

Aircraft are but one means of several, available for transportation.

Phoenix_X
1st Jun 2003, 01:12
I agree with you there fully!

All I meant to point out is that punishing one person with the most horrible punishment will not stop any other 'crazy' people.

But that doesn't mean I want them on the a/c and want anything done to stop them!

Taildragger67
2nd Jun 2003, 20:33
The string-'em-up theory of deterrence is based on a simple idea: do this heinous act, then when we catch up with you, you're toast.

It falls apart a bit if either a) the culprit's fuses have all blown such that they can't think through the consequences of their actions or b) the culprit is intent on topping themselves anyway (regardless of whether they run it into a building or a hill).

In other words, if you're dealing with someone 'normal', they'll do everything possible to keep kicking - so unlikely to try to take over an a/c. However if you're dealing with someone a tad dreanged/fanatical. then you gotta stop them before they get on as no amount of deterrence will matter.

Hence bringing back the gallows probably will only be a deterrent to people who weren't thinking of doing it in the first place and therefore a useless measure.

Notso Fantastic
2nd Jun 2003, 20:46
Maybe, but it gives Society an immensely therapeutic release to string 'em up. In other words, people feel better (and safer) for having these scum removed (permanently) from being any further risk to their fellow man. Hang 'em all I say!