PDA

View Full Version : Most Ugly

paulo
27th May 2003, 09:12
Now, before you all chip with the obvious (and admittedly very ulgy) Shorts 360... there is worse. No really there is, so what is the ugliest pugliest aircraft? No limits here, light, civil, mil...

ramsrc
27th May 2003, 14:32
On the light aircraft side, I guess it would have to be the Pilatus PC6.

On the civil side, the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy wouldn't win any beauty contests - but does have something about it.

Mil - Has to be the Lockheed C5 Galaxy - Yuk!

Apologies to anyone who flies any of these and loves 'em! :)

Wycombe
27th May 2003, 16:02
Sure the "sheds" are ugly, but the Beech 1900 is no oil painting either!

Flypuppy
27th May 2003, 17:42
Some ugly aeroplanes:
Piper Pawnee
PZL M-18A Dromader
PZL 104-35A Wilga
Antonov AN-2
Aviation Traders Carvair
Cessna 337
Fairchild SA-227AC Metro III
Ilyushin Il-76
Antonov AN-124
B-52
F1-11
Britten Norman Trislander
The Shorts Skyvan is even uglier than the Shorts 330/360.

Mind you, I would be very happy to fly any of the above mentioned aircraft if someone were to pay me.....

angels
27th May 2003, 17:53
Surpised the Guppy hasn't got a mention!

pithblot
27th May 2003, 18:00
The ugliest sister has got to be the TRANSAVIA Airtruck.
Its an Ag aeroplane, used to be made in Australia, and a pretty good one I'm told.

oxford blue
27th May 2003, 20:09
Can't really agree about either the B-52 or the F-111. However, the Boeing contender for the JSF - now that IS coyote ugly. No wonder it didn't win - no general wanted something that ugly in his Air Force.

lomapaseo
27th May 2003, 21:21
Now, before you all chip with the obvious (and admittedly very ulgy) Shorts 360... there is worse. No really there is, so what is the ugliest pugliest aircraft? No limits here, light, civil, mil...

Any helicopter:O

incubus
28th May 2003, 01:42
The Fairey Gannet.

Oh, and I found a link...
World's Ugliest Aircraft Survey (http://cloud.prohosting.com/hud607/uncommon/aircraft/ugly/results.html)

chiglet
28th May 2003, 02:02
Ugly, Scottish Aviation "Pioneer" ;)
Ugly but "Pretty" as opposed to Pretty Ugly, Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer :ok: Saw one fly backwards once:confused:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

concordino
28th May 2003, 02:09
I am not sure but Marcel Dassault ( maker of Mirage and Falcon Jets) once said or what is meant to be:

If it is Beautiful then it flies nicely...

now whether that is correct or not...dunno...:cool:

paulo
28th May 2003, 07:18
Pithblot, I think you have it.

The Transavia Airtruk (warning: may frighten small children) (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/003779/M/)

From Australia, one could reasonably assume it was designed, say, by a couple of locals in a Darwin bar shortly after passing out. It was however crafted by an Italian ex patriate, who presumably was deported from his home country on the grounds that his sense of style amounted to treason.

It has a sesquiplane layout. I'm not really sure what this aeronautical term means, but I'm guessing the gist is "extremely unpleasant".

Starting out with an IO-520, later variants reached 400hp with an IO-720. This could only have been a good thing, as it meant you could get one out of sight quicker than ever before.

Having hosted the creation of this monstrosity, the Australians and their NZ manufacturing cohorts also managed to ship the "flying midair collision" to countries such as Denmark and Kenya, despite never formally declaring war.

A total of 118 were built from 1966 to the eighties, although how many were destroyed for humanitarian reasons is not known. It has been said that the Airtruk isn't merely the ugliest aeroplane ever, "it's the ugliest anything, ever."

If there is an aircraft more ugly than this, then I may need sedation before seeing the pictures.

Louie the Fly
28th May 2003, 07:53
I'd have to vote for the Airtruk as well. Here is a link to some posts about it on D&G.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88712&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Also, I'd vote for almost anything designed in Russia before the '70s.

ramsrc
28th May 2003, 13:53
Ooooh, it's too hideous...

Put me off my breakfast :yuk:

(I was going to say wasn't that the aircraft in the third Mad Max film, but that was covered in the link posted by "Louie the Fly")

Meeb
29th May 2003, 20:25
The only people who call sheds ugly are those who have never had the privilege to fly her... :*

Personally I think the skyvan and 330 are rather plug, but the 360 has it right... beautiful aeroplane... :O

newswatcher
29th May 2003, 21:08
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67848&highlight=ugliest