PDA

View Full Version : Private Instructing

2 stripes
25th May 2003, 20:50
Can you instruct the owner in their own aircraft for the issue of a PPL?:confused:

StrateandLevel
26th May 2003, 06:31
Yes, provided you are a registered facility, or operate within one. The aircraft would have to be notified as used by that facility.

If the aircraft is on a public C of A, or a Private C of A and owned by one person or persons in the same family there is no problem, but if group owned on a private C of A, you cannot be remunerated for the instruction.

scubawasp
27th May 2003, 18:35
Could someone point me in the direction of an offical document that deals with this.

It appears what you are saying, that as long as the instructor is registered with the CAA as an FTO, then he can infact make people group members, train them to PPL level, and then let them leave the group!

Or have I misunderstood?

2 stripes
27th May 2003, 19:23
StrateandLevel, Many thanks for your reply. When you say a registered facility, I take it you mean a flying club/school, in which case, yes I am. Now whether the club would be agreeable to having an aircraft on their fleet for which they are not receiving any renumeration is another question.

StrateandLevel
28th May 2003, 02:04
Scubawasp

The official document is Appendix 2 and 3 to JAR-FCL 1.125. This is further amplified in AIC 67/1999 available on line at:

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W355.PDF

You can also download the application form from:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1111.pdf

You do not have to be a FTO, you just have to register as a facility, that can be one person, a club or a school.

walkingthewalk
28th May 2003, 04:41
Having followed this thread and looked at the doc. referenced
am I right in interpreting this as only possible if the said FTO is willing to have you register under their establishment AND allow a privately owned aircraft to be used by the instructor for HIS financial gain ONLY - in instructing others.

Surely, in the real world, this would be a very rare situation.