PDA

View Full Version : Radios at EGCC Yesterday Evening

EGCC Rwy 24
25th May 2003, 17:33
My attention was grabbed initially by a Britannia go-around - heard a noise, jumped out of bed and looked out of the window. I was treated to the sight of said aircraft climbing in a right turn. The position seemed to indicate that the go-around had been initiated quite early. I didn't hear the original cause, but assume it was a non-event.

That of course will not prevent the Manchester Evening News reporting 200 passengers in a near-death experience!! :D :D

Instinctive reaction was to grope around in the dark for my scanner. The Britannia was talking to approach (as I'd expect). A second aicraft on approach (lady controller - been around as long as I can remember) was transferred to the "new" tower frequency of 119.4 ------ odd as for 24R I would have expected 118.62. Something else was obviously going on as the aircraft returned to approach saying that both tower frequencies were dead. At the second attempt he contacted 119.4 (a guy - another of the "regulars").

On the Britannia's second approach, he was handed over to 119.4 and came straight back saying that there was too much interference for the frequency to be of any use. His landing clearance was relayed by the approach controller.

Lots of muttering about engineers working on it. Apparently, the interference was only audible from the air (the controllers couldn't hear it).

All much more interesting than the original go-around that woke me up!!

What was going on?

28th May 2003, 12:11
When you were talking about lying in bed and having a scanner on, it made me think of my ex-boss. I tried to erase his memory from my hard drive but it seems its still there. This guy used to lie in bed at night and listen to the freq. If your rt wasnt up to scratch, you got to know about it. Stupid &%+?@ Got a warning for chatting to a pilot mate a little too much than standard at 3am!

Flap Speed
29th May 2003, 14:48
I don't know about the Britannia incident yesterday.

What I would say though is that I did have the opportunity to visit EGCC for a short time yesterday.

I was very impressed with all the "regular" voices at CC who in light of the number of a/c, leaders, marshalls etc you would expect to be stressed out. Quite the contrary, they appeared to me to be revelling in the traffic volume. ;)

Later on I was tuned to 133.4 between about 1600 and 1700z. The controller was stacking em up at TNT as DAYNE was full. I have to say the controller (another well known voice) was absolutely superb!!:D I have never known it so busy in my limited experience and he was fantastic. A real pleasure to listen to and quite entertaining as he managed to even inject humour into it all at the same time !!!

I would just offer my congratulations to all the staff at the CC area and the VCR for their work yesterday. I for one am very, very impressed.

I bet your all just glad every day's not like that :ok:

Spiney Norman
29th May 2003, 15:25
Eh Flap Speed!
How about us Approach guy's and gals then! But seriously though, yes we did enjoy it. There were a few drinks enjoyed afterwards! The pictures of the aircraft parking should be quite impressive.

Spiney

Flap Speed
29th May 2003, 18:20
oops.. sorry Spiney ;)

As you're sat in the same room I'd sort of bunched you in under the "area" section of my post :(

Tut tut... I should know better :rolleyes: Congrats also to all those staffing up Radar and Director... :ok:

bagpuss lives
1st Jun 2003, 05:32
One tries one's best ;)

The 28th was a truly great day and a great spotter-tastic spectacle if nothing else. The 840 recorded movements during the day isn't to be sniffed at (previous record was 706) and I believe that during certain 1 hour periods we handled more traffic than EGLL - only with fewer stands to shove 'em on. Hence the rather exciting taxiway parking ;)

WIth regard to the radio situation I believe there were a few teething problems when Approach South shifted to 119.52MHz, something to do with altered Tx sites and lower power, but as far as I'm aware these have all been resolved now and all is well again.

John Wintergreen
1st Jun 2003, 23:43
niteflite01,

The 28th was a truly great day and a great spotter-tastic spectacle if nothing else. The 840 recorded movements during the day isn't to be sniffed at (previous record was 706) and I believe that during certain 1 hour periods we handled more traffic than EGLL - only with fewer stands to shove 'em on. Hence the rather exciting taxiway parking

Why do Manch folk always seem to have this preoccupation with Heathrow?

Looks like it's taken a one off special event just for you to catch up with Gatwick :p

Big John.

bagpuss lives
2nd Jun 2003, 02:19
It's quite simple really.

We're pre-occupied with EGLL because it's very very busy. That's all :D

EGCC Rwy 24
2nd Jun 2003, 02:34
Niteflite - thanks for the update on the radios.

Nick

250 kts
2nd Jun 2003, 03:09
Well done to you all up there-it was certainly busy at LACC moving the traffic northwards.

Now you've experienced handling those levels and enjoyed it why don't a few of you volunteer to come south and do it every day.;) ;)

Before you bite my head off I see that Stansted handled more pax in the latest monthly figures than MAN and they are only an ATCO3 unit.

Back to the trench now I think!!!!!

bagpuss lives
2nd Jun 2003, 03:21
Moving south doesn't appeal to me at all I'm afraid - shandy just isn't my tipple ;)

Back to my clogs, flat caps and to bask in the glory of being comparatively overpaid, apparently ;)

Flap Speed
15th Aug 2003, 09:34
Spiney Norm',

Did those pictures come out? Would be very interested to see a few if they did?

My view from the ground in the AVP (briefly because it was like a circus) but mostly from near to CG19 RVP was somewhat limited. Any shots from higher up would be nice to see :)

j17
15th Aug 2003, 23:12
250kts

as you should be if you only hold a twr validation, not like us who exercise the priviliges of our app radar rating.

Ducking under the parapet