PDA

View Full Version : Accidents to unmanned static or towed aircraft

OVERTALK
24th May 2003, 17:14
Looking for data on accidents to static or towed aircraft. URL's preferred, data (date/time/place) OK, anecdotal without details if it can be tracked down.

The reason I ask this question in the first place is that one of our captains has suggested it is unsafe to tow aircraft with cleaners onboard. The cleaners remain seated but he fears that if there was a fire onboard there would be no one to arm the door for evacuation. Maybe he forgot about the engineer. This will cause some problems and I have to now make a case for leaving them onboard. Pilots run aircraft off the runway but we don't stop taxiing, planes crash but we don't stop flying. It is all down to risk assessment.

some known examples I've come across/know of:

1. A Trident parked at LHR caught fire outside a hanger. The APU had been left running and a short in the electrics started a fire which spread to an oxygen tank!

2. The recent incident at BKK where a 737 caught fire. attributed initially to a bomb, atterly to a centre tank explosion)

3. I also recall an A340 went up - but can't recall where.

4. Incidents recently where a/c at LAX and Changi were left unchocked and wandered off by themselves.

Perhaps some comments on whether park brakes are left on - or whether engineers still insist that that practice pressurizes system seals and causes leaks.....

Notso Fantastic
24th May 2003, 17:53
3. AF A340 at CDG. Suspected hydraulic pump fire?

More recent F28 Brazil? The Saudia in a ditch somewhere- was that towing? Towbar break incidents are not unusual.