PDA

View Full Version : What would you do ?

rogbr
24th May 2003, 05:30
Scenario

You start at the bottom at a TRTO,
the owner / chief pilot wants everyone rated on all types.
You pay 5ish grand for said ratings on promise of work.

A part timer becomes full time and gets all the work 3 months after you start( he has more experience on the complex type so you accept it and think well maybe soon)
Six months and several reminders later you eventually get two half hour jobs on the new machine.

Another part time instructor doesn't want to do an instructor renewal so he does a type conv onto same machine (so he can get thru on hours alone) and now has work on it this week.

Would you be as p**sed off as me, or am I overreacting.

I enjoy what I do, but i feel like the p**s is being taken in a big way.

I am full time on pistons. the machines in question are turbines (big thing in helicopters).

My experience PPL with 1000+ hours , his CPL with 300 ish hours.

All thoughts considered, as I am wondering whether i'm overreacting or should I just move on ?

Cheers

RogBr

justanotherflyer
24th May 2003, 18:22
You pay 5ish grand for said ratings on promise of work.

That is the key sentence in your post.

If I invest 5k in anything, I want to know exactly what I am getting. You wouldn't buy a car for 5k on a "promise" that it will work. You'd have it checked thoroughly by a mechanic. So why accept something less when it comes to aviation training, qualifications, or experience?

At the very least, a memo of agreement should have changed hands. Verbal promises are all too easy to forget.

My ha'penny worth: search for the next opportunity from today onwards, and secure it on a better, and more open and honest footing than your current situation. Once that is in place, clear out, pronto. In aviation, the machines, the techniques, the laws of physics, remain the same wherever you go. What varies wildly is the quality of people and organisations, and you need to start associating with the good ones a.s.a.p. There are plenty of them out there.

NorthSouth
28th May 2003, 17:04
You're a full-time instructor in a helicopter TRTO but you only have a PPL? So you've already paid not only £5000 for the type ratings but presumably also a substantial amount of money for CPL ground school in order to be an instructor, but you have not done the CPL(H) flying course so you can't be paid?

Could it be that the owner only wants CPLs flying the turbine types? Or am I missing something?

If you haven't done the CPL, why is that? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend a bit of money on a licence which will enable you to earn from your flying rather than on type ratings which will earn you nothing?