PDA

View Full Version : ATC Staffing Problems

sr562
23rd May 2003, 05:14
Hi all,

I have been reading through the forum and noticed a few threads on staff shortages.

If there is such a shortage of staff then why for example do NATS think this is a good time to restructure the whole training course, causing a backlog of cadets waiting to start college?
Why does eurocontrol not increase the number of classes per year it runs?

I am sure that there are plenty of guys and gals out there capable of doing the job, who are either given the try again next year by NATS, or put on the eurocontrol reserve list.

Please dont take this as a cheap dig at both of the above by a disgruntle applicant, i have applied to both and didnt get past stage 2 with NATS, and am on the eurocontrol reserve list. I just fail to see the logic.

In saying that i dont suppose they teach logic or reasoning in beancounter college

:confused:

Lon More
23rd May 2003, 19:57
sr562 wrote:

Why does eurocontrol not increase the number of classes per year it runs?

Simply because there is no-where to put them . Maastricht UAC is the only place they can go to and at a certain moment the training slots are all fillled, i.e. we are not supposed to train an executive controller and a co-ordinator on the same sector at the same time; due other factors qualified coaching staff may not be available - looking at my team's roster for next week, 20% on leave and 25% assigned other duties outside the Ops. Room. This has a further imopact in that staff with only partial validations are put on positions that they can work instead of receiving further training
There is also a requirement to maintain controller proficiency so a position is effectively blocked.

250 kts
23rd May 2003, 20:50
Exactly the same within NATS. There is a massive backlog of trainees already so the "breathing"space will help us all. If nothing else we should be able to get all those valid on single sectors cross trained.

Hey Lon do you realise that if you were French your name is an anagram of Le Moron!!!!!;) ;) ;)

Lon More
24th May 2003, 04:02
Very funny

Now hold all the eastbounds in the CLN sector,

Don't let the smile fool you, I enjoy gratuitous violence:E :E :ouch:

250 kts
25th May 2003, 06:37
Hey Lon do we have to keep em in the sector or will just on the the frequency till well past REDFA do???????

Justin Time
26th May 2003, 03:49
LMFAO @ 250kts

Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye!!!!

You keep 'em until TULIP and you'll get all Gatwick, Stansted inbounds as well as every &$(@*^$ flight notification as well. Still notice that several of your colleagues think that Prague is north of Helsinki (maybe those that haven't spoken to TT in a while).
:ok: :ok:

250 kts
27th May 2003, 05:29
JT,

Seriously though, we have noticed recently how long traffic through COA is being held onto the Maastrict frequency. You can give it to us on a heading before the fL270 is actually achieved. Also it's amazing how many think Gatwick is to the north of Stansted.

Of course it'll never be me or you who forget to transfer the traffic cos we happen to be busy else where will it?????:ouch: :hmm: :hmm:

TrafficTraffic
28th May 2003, 02:03
I have a sneaking idea that the staffing shortages at NERC are due to the fact that most of the staff were away in Latvia as the UK's Eurovision team.

you notice how long the traffic is being kept past COA.... My My do you know the TOC point is REDFA not TULIP?

Gatwick is north of Stanstead....

Obviously there were two types of Geography taught in English schools Domestic and Anywhere-Else...and I would suggest the Anywhere-Else subject was optional.

On the continent we all know that Cardiff is the capital, Birmingham is the cultural centre and Ibiza is the best beach in the UK (oops my English Geography showing through:) )

Something about glass houses comes to mind......

Lon More
28th May 2003, 05:47
250 Now look what you've done: woken the B@gger up!!