PDA

View Full Version : Identifying plane types

Irishwingz
23rd May 2003, 00:19
Hi Guys

I am not new to aviation as such but when I am in airports I am always trying to id aircraft types - like from a distance how would one tell an A320 from a 737-500? Or a 757 from a 767? or an A300 from a A330? The smaller types like 146s, ATRs, Fokkers are easy.

Its because I am not around planes much I'm not used to it. Is there anything I can look at for easy identification (not the manufacturer name!!) - i.e cockpit/nose design, winglets, tailfin, engines, window/door layouts etc

Thanks

opschic
23rd May 2003, 00:40
YOU CAN GET A GOOD GUIDE AT THE AVIATION SHOP AT AMS, IT TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT IDENTIFING DIFFERENT TYPES OF AIRCRAFT. I GOT ONE FOR MY LITTLE BROTHER :8

mutt
23rd May 2003, 01:06
Why dont you go into Easons and look for a good plane spotting book, they used to have an excellent selection.

Mutt.

akerosid
23rd May 2003, 01:18
The aviation hobby shop at LGW would be a good bet, if you're passing through. It's on the 4th floor of the south terminal, on the observation deck.

There's a Janes book on aircraft recognition which would probably be ideal for you.

Fraudsquads
23rd May 2003, 04:10
look at the wing tips, tail and relative body diameter.

generally Airbuses have wing fences or the A330 has raked wing tips. 737's have do not have a straight front edge to the tail fin.

etc etc

also 6 wheels per bogey on a twin fan is a 777

best find the books mentioned if you get stuck in.

FS

BAe 146-100
23rd May 2003, 04:42
Hi,

This is a very good book for recognising civil aircraft . :D You can buy it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007110243/ref=pd_sr_ec_ir_b_h_/202-8109702-4965467).

Regards
BAe 146-100

DrSyn
23rd May 2003, 05:04
Irishwingz, all the above is undoubtedly sound advice. With so many similar configurations around, I venture to suggest that many of us who actually fly the kit for a living have trouble making a precise ID on certain types from a distance, these days!

During WW2 the Royal Observer Corps, who recruited from amongst the local population, used an acronym in their training, W E N T --- Wings Engines Nose Tail. Not an infallible system, according to the number of allied aircrew who were fired upon by their own side :( , but a good systematic process in general.

My Dad taught me this when I was a kid and the skies were occupied by a handful of jets and a plethora of props. Still seems to work well for me today, though.

If you are near an airport, you could add a U for Undercarriage (N.Am: Landing Gear).

eng1170
23rd May 2003, 07:35
If it looks and sounds like a big bag of sh*t then it's probably an Antonov or an Illuyshin,

If it's REALLY noisy it's Concorde,

If it skims the hedge/peri fence it's an ATP,

If it smokes like hell and makes alot of racket its a 737-200,

3 engines and looks like the middle one on the tail was an afterthough it's a DC-10,

3 engines and looks gorgeous its a Tristar,

If the engine cowls look like they've suffered a wheels up landing its a 737-300/400/500

Bent wing tips and 2 engines that don't look man enough for the job it's an A330,

Bent wing tips and 4 engines that don't look man enough for the job and some silly spare wheels under the fuselage its an A340,

High tail, high wing and 4 hair dryers under the wings, it's a Bae146/RJ,

..........what you really want is a dirty, noisy, grey coloured thing with 2 engines that spit dirty great sheets of flame on demand, wings that move backwards and forwards, and 2 seats that if all goes pear shaped will catapult you out into the 600knot breeze before your sphincter has even thought about twitching, and the best bit......you can blow sh*t up with it too!!! Check these out at an airbase near you today!!!!

(OOP'S - how many pilots have I just offended?!!)

GlueBall
24th May 2003, 01:35
Photos of Airliners (http://www.airliners.net) ...you could easily lose yourself in spending an entire week looking at over 340,000 photos of civil transport category jets. :ok:

Departures Beckham
24th May 2003, 03:11
http://www.planespotter.com/images/PScovsm.gif This is the guide OpsChic is referring to. It's very easy to use and gives a couple of tips on each of the major Boeing and Airbus aircraft (also MD).

Details of where to get it can be fund online HERE (http://www.planespotter.com)

OPSCHIC: I look nothing like :8 - today I'm more like :zzz:

Irishwingz
24th May 2003, 05:29
Opschic, Drsyn, BAE, eng, Becks, Irish lads and the rest, thanks for that info. I found the anti Airbus digs funny even though I dont understand the difference and NO I dont want to start that kind of thread:p

Airliners.net is great, i will probably get that book allright. looks cool.

Cheers and keep uo the posts:ok: