PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Vacancy

x-border
22nd May 2003, 18:45
I hear there's a job going at Bristol. Can somebody give more info on what it's like to work there. Ta. :ok:

SevernTMA
23rd May 2003, 05:40
And any idea about the money????;)

flower
23rd May 2003, 05:58
Severn TMA you only just got back , not going again are we :p

niknak
23rd May 2003, 07:12
Very well equipped place, lots of money been spent on the place recently, new ATC complex etc.

Very busy from an ATC viewpoint, hours are H24, a complex environment, but most of the ATC staff are relatively human. :p, and the ATSM seems to run a tight but well run ship.

Money is good, above the average regional airport wage, but take account that the pension scheme is non contributary, so this could equate to between 4 and 7 % of what you presently earn.
I'm pretty sure that at least ** of Filton's atcos will be applying for the post, (one will be automatically disqualified for being too ugly:} ), obviously they have an advantage over others.

On the downside, Bristol is expensive and a crap city to live in, the surrounding countryside takes a lot of beating, but is very very expensive from a housing viewpoint, if you're moving from a cheaper area, make the most of the relocation package offered.

Burns the Bread
23rd May 2003, 23:39
:confused:

- Bristol a busy ATC environment?? Gotta be kidding - The Welsh boyos do most of their work. And their pay is low average. The only thing worth going there for is the Butcombe Bitter........
From what I hear there may be quite a few jobs coming up soon????
:ok:

Spitoon
24th May 2003, 06:45
Burns my old mate, I'm guessing you base your comments on the number of aeroplanes that you see taking off and landing. ATC is a bit more than that.

Bristol is a rather challenging environment for the controllers - not much protected airspace, surrounded by other airports and their traffic, lots of other planes flying through the area and I could go on. If you're not a controller it's something that you simply won't and can't appreciate.

And, by the way, the Welsh boyos (most of whom aren't Welsh) certainly get to talk to some aeroplanes that fly around there but I don't think it's fair to imaging that they do all the work. But maybe it just sounds like it on a spotter's scanner. :bored: :bored: :bored:

ATCO1987
28th May 2003, 02:18
Hi All, Im a newbie:D
This is what bristolairport.com says:
Air Traffic Control Officer

Highly Competitive

Working from our new £3.5 million control tower, the Air Traffic Control Officers handle an average of 70,000 aircraft movements a year plus 22,000 LARS transits using some of the latest ATC systems. The position offers an outstanding working environment in a beautiful part of the West Country. Quality of life is high, with a wide range of rural and city housing, excellent schools and universities and easy access to the rest of the UK by road, rail and air. A UK CAA ATC licence, including an Aerodrome Rating and an Approach Radar rating is essential. Possession of a MET Observer’s certificate and experience of working at an aerodrome within a similar type of airspace is desirable. In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, non-contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance and a generous relocation package. Previous applicants may re-apply but only those holding the above qualifications will be selected for interview. Please send your CV and covering letter to Paul Howlett, Human Resources Manager, Bristol International Airport, Bristol BS48 3DY or email [email protected] Closing date: 3rd June 2003.

Paul Howlett
[email protected]

Cosmic Wind
28th May 2003, 02:19
It sounds like the typical non NATS regional dilema. Package offered can't tempt anyone without any real experience and usually the self-improver ATCO simply can't hack it. Cardiff may work a fair bit of sky in that part of the world but they do nowhere near the amount of LARS and co-ordination that Bristol does, they simply seem to have a good contact in 'airspace allocation'. Bit of a jump from Filton to Lulsgate in traffic levels, not a good move....

flower
28th May 2003, 04:18
cosmic wind ,
you may think you know about Cardiff but your post suggests differently. I would love to know what sort of co-ordination you think we do bearing in mind the number of units we deal with, on top of that we have a large expanse of area in which we operate our LARS service.
Cardiff and Bristol have a good working relationship and I don't think people should be trying to make up inter unit rivalries which in reality don't exist. Bristol have more ATMs at their airfield , we have a large chunk of the airway system . On top of that we have a very busy LARS and are also the approach unit for RAF St Athan.
I prefer working for NATS but if Bristol were in NATS im sure there would be a rush of people wishing to work there from within the company.
Its an expanding airfield with good facilities to work in I would say go for it to anyone looking for an interesting job in ATC.

Burns the Bread
28th May 2003, 05:09
Putting 2 and 3 together - Cardiff seem to work a big chunk of Bristol traffic and they also seem to work traffic up and down Amber 25 or whatever its called now. On another post TBI (owners of Cardiff) are complaining that they are paying too much for their ATC services from NATS. Is that because TBI are subsidising the local ATC services in that area? And are the controllers at Cardiff airways controllers as well, therefore more expensive to employ?

flower
28th May 2003, 06:07
Contract details and finances are confidential and the likes of us common and garden ATCOs are not privy to them, if we were we certainly wouldn't be posting them here.

The ATCOs at Cardiff are not the more expensive ones either we are ATCO 3s but thats another story :hmm:

Gypsy Queen
28th May 2003, 16:17
Please excuse my ignorance but when they say non-contributory pension scheme what exactly do they mean...:=

niknak you refer to this could equate to between 4 and 7 % of what you presently earn., could you elaborate please?? :confused:

thank you.:O

28th May 2003, 23:24
We used to have a "non-contributory" pension when I worked for Shell. What this meant in practice was that the scheme was fully funded by the company and you had to make no contributions at all yourself (there was an upper limit on this but it was up in the stratosphere, £75k if I remember correctly). The company position was that the scheme was massively in surplus and it would be good for morale if they were seen not to be ripping anyone off.

NATS take note!

niknak
29th May 2003, 05:27
Gypsy Queen.

Most of us who pay into a company pension scheme pay between 4% and 7%, some pay more than that.
At most local government airports, which is what Bristol used to be, the going rate for the local government pension scheme, is 6%.

As 1261 explained, the employees do not presently contribute towards the scheme, so you get the money you would have put into the pension, as your salary. Bristols owners are predominantly investment bankers, and in terms of pension benefits, are giving the airport employees exactly what they give to their own.

Being totally cynical, I could argue that this would make the salary offered very attractive, up to 6% more than comparable airports. If I were to be offered a post on those terms, I'd think very seriously about investing that sum long term, be in a pension, building society or whatever, (anything to stop Mrs Niknak getting her spending paws on it:{ ).

However, should the pension fund stop operating at a surplus, the employees would have to start making fairly hefty contributions for quite a long time to bring it back into line, additionally, it's very unlikely they'd ever get the non - contributary pension scheme back.

Get my drift?

It would be interesting to know if the Bristol Airport pension scheme is a "Final Salary" one.

LN-ATC
29th May 2003, 12:09
Will UK CAA ever approve applicants not holding an UK CAA licence? Or isn't UK CAA taking part in the Eurocontrol/EU licence program that is supposed to be in force after 2004?

Norway says good morning

360BakTrak
2nd Jun 2003, 22:32
Does anyone know for definite how many vacancies there are? :confused: I heard from someone that there were 4 vacancies and then from someone else only 1 !! :p

Legs11
3rd Jun 2003, 18:09
360BT, with one new guy started last month, I believe this ad will recruit one more, with further vacancies arising in the not too distant future.:ok:

Hope that helps.:cool:

SOEFOATC
6th Jun 2003, 18:31
I have just started out in my ATC career:O It seems to me there is a beasting period you have to go through befor you are accepted. I also think it is very hard to find your first job. Also it's not what you know, it's who you know a lot of the time.
As to some places being too buisy for certain people, well this is true as you get used to the enviroment you work in. However everyone who has passed and aerodrome coarse must somewhere up in the noggin have the aptitude to "up their game" as it were.
I am currently looking for other jobs around the Uk if any one knows of any please let me know. I only have an aerodrome rating with a validated ticket. ( Yes thats right I am a young pup with not a lot of experiance:bored: but everyone has to start somewhere:O ) Any ideas then please post them.

Ta ta peeps.;)

Legs11
6th Jun 2003, 23:32
Totally off the beaten track SOEFOATC - is that a little chip you've got there? Yes it can be hard to find a job, and some of 'who you know' can be a help....it's a hard tough world.:{ but we all have to learn to cope :sad: .

everyone who has passed and aerodrome coarse must somewhere up in the noggin have the aptitude to "up their game" :ugh: sorry to disappoint you := , but no they don't. We all have our limit. I have personal experience of training several previously valid controllers, at units which were busier than their previous ones - and they have just not been up to it.:( It's the same as in any other walk of life there are always going to be those who are more able than others.

Looking for jobs you need to accept this and work your way up slowly. Try serco, try the self providers for a chance of self improvement or further training, but don't go in thinking your the bee knees. At least not yet anyway.:ok:

Serco Air Tragic
7th Jun 2003, 01:11
Yup you want a beasting try serco, alternately Maccy D's are hiring with competitive pay and benefits. If you can say "clear to land" then im sure you can say "would you like frys with that":yuk:

SOEFOATC
7th Jun 2003, 04:26
There is no chip on my sholder, I would say more like a small French fry. ( one on strike as well!!)
As for Serco..............?
I suppose I am a little impatiant but there we go.
By the way whoever air Tragic is, he or she seems to be a little Disheartened with our friend the big "S" But arn't they trying to make the world a safer place where evreyone holds hands and sing "ging gang gooly" until the sun rises!?:ugh:

Ta ta peeps.

360BakTrak
10th Jun 2003, 19:17
Somebody new started there last month? Didn't see the advert for that!!!:ooh:

Cosmic Wind
10th Jun 2003, 20:41
As with most things it's who you know not what! Nothing is as it seems on the surface and the biggest challenge is fitting in with all types of personality, the jobs probably a piece of cake.

Razors Edge
12th Jun 2003, 17:08
So somewhere in the region of a dozen applicants (surprising - I thought there would be more) and interviews early July - if you haven't heard then the news probably isn't good :{

Hitchin a ride
12th Jun 2003, 18:49
As it wasn't mentioned in the ad, anyone got any idea what the starting salary is likely to be and what kind of pay scale they use?

360BakTrak
14th Jun 2003, 02:28
Well I've got an interview in early july, anyone else?
I'm not too confident though as it seems they like huge amounts of experience. I've got all 3 ratings valid but only a couple of years experience and its mostly in class G.
Better do some genning up and cross my fingers!!!

Good Luck to any other interviewee's! :ok:

Legs11
15th Jun 2003, 20:59
360BT...East Mids, Leeds and now Bristol, is it really so bad at Bournemouth?:D
I'd heard they were a funny bunch, but you're starting to appear desparate:eek:

Good luck with interview though, maybe you'll find lasting happiness and fulfillment:ok:

Serco Air Tragic
16th Jun 2003, 22:05
SOEFOATC

Displeased with the Big S, dont be silly. Im a company man through and through. I mean theres no large corporate entity i'd rather receive the shaft from in the form of a totaly whacked out pay scale than our dear dear Serco. Now time to sing the company song..............

(P.S. if any1 can think of a company song then lets hear it) :ok:

Gypsy Queen
18th Jun 2003, 18:41
From what I've heard, 360BakTrak, you might not be the only one from EGHH who has applied - look around you my friend for your competition:} God it must be awful down there:{

360BakTrak
23rd Jun 2003, 05:33
Legs11....Leeds?? Who said anything about Leeds?!?! Never been there let alone applied!!
As for Bournemouth?... Didn't know they had an airport down there!!:D

Razors Edge
4th Jul 2003, 21:52
360BT, I gather your SATCO's been snooping around at Bristol in the last week, you might want to hang around at Bournemouth - promotion might be on it's way;)

How did the interview go, by the way:cool:

360BakTrak
9th Jul 2003, 02:52
Who knows..............should find out in the next couple of days.:(

Legs11
11th Jul 2003, 20:56
Letters went out yesterday I gather, but don't know who the lucky one(s?) is. :ok:

360BakTrak
14th Jul 2003, 16:01
Anybody know who 'The One' is yet???!!!:confused:

Razors Edge
14th Jul 2003, 23:54
it wasn't you then 360?:( sorry to hear that.

BMIne
15th Jul 2003, 05:11
If Bournemouth SATCO's snooping with intent........
who'se going to protect "the troops" at Bournemouth?

:ooh:

360BakTrak
15th Jul 2003, 05:30
Anyone fancy applying?!?!?:eek:

BMIne
16th Jul 2003, 06:46
I have a "nicely" paid job at the moment 360,
but thank you very much for asking.

I guess its going to be more last minute roster changes
til any vacancies are filled.:suspect:

niknak
17th Jul 2003, 07:04
Damn! another rejection.......:{

Hang on a minute, that's why I didn't get it, I didn't apply.. :ok:

Gypsy Queen
11th Aug 2003, 18:55
So Mr Stockley got the job then. When will we see the vacancy notice for Bournemouth SATCO I wonder?

360BakTrak
11th Aug 2003, 23:46
Already out allegedly! Not the only vacancy either apparently!! Who's next to jump the sinking ship?!?!?
:{

LondonRadar
25th Aug 2003, 03:36

Where is the vacancy advertised? Just curious.Cheers.

360BakTrak
25th Aug 2003, 22:48
Internally, it seems, throughout the Manchester Group of Airports (EGNX, EGNJ).

Legs11
28th Aug 2003, 04:52
Excuse my ignorance, but who from East Mids is going to apply to Bournemouth? Or Humberside come to think of it, they're all waiting for Finningley:ooh:

360BakTrak
28th Aug 2003, 16:58
I never said people from those units WOULD apply, thats just where the vacancies are being advertised. Management are obviously too tight to fork out for a Flight Int'l advert!!:eek:

360BakTrak
17th Sep 2003, 04:39
The plot thickens!
Apparently said HH SATCO is off to the tropical climes of Canada! Better dust off those CV's again!!!!!!!!:hmm:

Razors Edge
24th Mar 2005, 09:48
OOh, another advert! But now they want class 'A' experience!!!:confused:

360BakTrak
24th Mar 2005, 21:24
Well they are getting picky!.............:}

Standard Noise
24th Mar 2005, 22:28
Yes, we are picky, but nowt wrong with that.:p

ebenezer
26th Mar 2005, 13:26
Anybody thinking of applying to Bristol should ask at their interview what the future will look like in five years time IF the ATC contract goes to NATS because....Bristol could find itself as another NATS 'stand-alone' tower should radar move across the Severn, which for anybody seeking the challenge of approach radar, might be mind-blowingly boring....

Spitoon
26th Mar 2005, 18:04
Approach radar all day, every day sounds pretty mind numbing too! I rather like a bit of variety.

Standard Noise
26th Mar 2005, 23:00
Although we could all be down on the south coast in ten years time.;)

ebenezer
27th Mar 2005, 07:28
Although we could all be down on the south coast in ten years time

Not on a NATS Area ATCO's (i.e. Band 5 ATCO 2) salary.

NATS commercial contracts with non-BAA airports are actually cost-driven and price-sensitive as London City, Farnborough, Luton, Cardiff and Belfast can testify.

Try checking out the real ATC world; Bristol Radar from Swanwick?

Dream on Sunshine...

:hmm:

slotbuster
27th Mar 2005, 13:27
Try checking out the real ATC world; Bristol Radar from Swanwick?

So where do they do Luton Approach Radar from?

Stupendous Man
27th Mar 2005, 15:07
...and Thames Radar....

But then thats a whole other kettle of worms.

CAP670
27th Mar 2005, 18:12
So where do they do Luton Approach Radar from? And Thames Radar

You're right that both are provided from TC West Drayton, but this is because both Luton and City interact closely with other London TMA routes.

This is not the case with Bristol.

The provision of Luton and Thames radars is via a subcontract arrangement between NATS En-route (NERL) and NATS Airports (NSL) whereby NATS Airports pays NERL for service provision.

TC is a Band 5 ATCO 2 unit because the requirement is for all operational ATCOs there to hold at least two sector 'validations'; the fact that some of those who transferred in from Luton when approach radar relocated do not hold more than one sector competence is an anomaly.

If any further approach radar functions were to be transferred to TC (and ultimately to Swanwick) and it's a big IF...then the ATCOs would most probably now be required to comply with the unit competency requirement and hold two 'validations'. Or it's possible that they might instead, be employed as ATCO 3s with single competency, thereby reducing the cost of the contracted service to the aiport.

Thus, Ebenezer's comment isn't that wide of the mark.

:uhoh:

Standard Noise
28th Mar 2005, 14:34
Just for the record, when they visited us, the NATS team said they wouldn't rule out anything as regards where the 'Severn TMA' radar function would be in the long term. No one mentioned "band 5 ATCO2 salary", that's something ebenezer read that wasn't in my post.

Anyway, I didn't move back here from Belfast to end up working down at Swanwick, god forbid I'd have to work with the same miserable tw@ts I saw at West Drayton every day, many moons ago. Nope, I'm happy up here in Ziderland, you can keep yer south coast sink hole.:p

PPRuNe Radar
28th Mar 2005, 16:00
TC is a Band 5 ATCO 2 unit because the requirement is for all operational ATCOs there to hold at least two sector 'validations';

PROSPECT reps ... stand by to be killed in the rush as units where it is necessary to hold more than 'two sector validations' clamour for Band 5 status based on these new rules ;)

What Band should I be on with the 10 'sector validations' (5 1/2 sector groupings) I hold ?? :}

ebenezer
28th Mar 2005, 17:22
What Band should I be on with the 10 'sector validations' (5 1/2 sector groupings) I hold ??

Well, how's about the same salary as an ACC controller working for AENA at Madrid!!??!!

Didn't think that the 'more than one validation' requirement at TC was a 'new rule' though. Maybe someone can clarify????

PPRuNe Radar
28th Mar 2005, 20:59
Well, how's about the same salary as an ACC controller working for AENA at Madrid!!??!!

Muy aceptable. ¿Dónde firmo por favor? :ok: Pero el jefe de la gerencia del flujo en Barcelona es mejor :}

Legs11
31st Mar 2005, 15:34
anyone gone for it this time?

Gypsy Queen
4th Apr 2005, 19:24
...well they can probably expect two applicants from Filton, it might have been a third if one wasn't already leaving:p

vfrflyer
8th Apr 2005, 15:41
anyone got interview??

360BakTrak
8th Apr 2005, 17:51
Does that mean you applied vfrflyer?:)

Sector Who
9th Apr 2005, 06:17
In the advert it says that they're looking for people with experience in working in class A/D airspace. That seems to limit the scope somewhat to other larger non-NATS units.

I take it that the class D bit is their CTR/CTZ and the class A is their delegated airspace on L9 unless they've been given more recently that we haven't heard about?

vfrflyer
9th Apr 2005, 15:48
Does that mean you applied vfrflyer?

Take a pay cut, lower pension...........No thanks:ok:

Legs11
10th Apr 2005, 13:43
Well if the closing date was the 8th, at least give them till the end of this week to invite interviewees:rolleyes:

ifaxu
10th Apr 2005, 13:52
Chopped were we standard noise!!:}

Standard Noise
10th Apr 2005, 14:57
As the big fat jolly man says, 'ho, ho, ho!":p

Razors Edge
16th Apr 2005, 18:24
...anyone with any news?:ugh:

Legs11
17th Apr 2005, 16:20
...well I gather that applications have reached double figures, but I know no more than that:)

TCAS FAN
17th Apr 2005, 18:28
If there ever was a case for a centralised approach unit (after London), the Bristol-Filton-Cardiff triangle is one. After a visit to Bristol many years ago it was an ATC coordination nightmare. Noboby dare fart unless it was coordinated with the other two parties!

Where is the new part privatised NATS when all this is going on? An ideal chance for them to show Bristol and Filton how much money they could save them by running the combined approach function from Cardiff, or relocating it at Bristol.

flower
17th Apr 2005, 18:33
TCAS,
things have improved greatly since then with the units working very closely together.
Combining the units, yep Bristol/Cardiff combined radar would be ideal, watch this space.

Sector Who
18th Apr 2005, 19:23
NATS feasibility study already done, infrastructure already mainly in place at Bristol, NATS ATC contract at Bristol in the bag (with concessions to BIA management re siting of radar unit), new airspace set for next year (SIDS and STARS), growth at Bristol rocketing, BIA parent company favourite bidder for Exeter, Filton ATC limited by BAe/AMS investment, indeed "watch this space"...

However, not much money to be saved at all by combining radar units (ask the accountants), other reasons and factors would drive such a change

Standard Noise
19th Apr 2005, 07:57
Oooh, someone with inside knowledge, the soup thickens!:ooh:

Standard Noise
22nd Apr 2005, 15:05
Makes no difference, no one's getting in the door, cos no ones good enough!:}

Legs11
27th Apr 2005, 11:02
I thought that Bristol had come up against added complications involving the NATS bid on this? Has anyone heard anything?

Standard Noise
27th Apr 2005, 12:10
You know what they say, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.;)

Razors Edge
11th May 2005, 21:13
...interviews this week, with possibly more than one to be recruited:ok:

Standard Noise
12th May 2005, 15:12
Oh, looks like we've lowered our standards for these interviews (with one poss exception, of course.)
Hope the interviewees aren't dead set on getting into NATS via Bristol.;)

Sector Who
12th May 2005, 16:47
So is the NATS issue on the back-burner now? Last thing I heard it was almost a dead cert with NATS making some long term plans for you guys.

Standard Noise
12th May 2005, 19:01
NATS can plan til the cows come home. S'not a done deal til the airport agrees to it. And they haven't yet.:hmm:

Sector Who
12th May 2005, 19:11
So not as straightforward as NATS management tried to make us believe - they thought that it was in the bag months ago. What sticking points are there or have you got a really tough negotiating team?

Standard Noise
12th May 2005, 19:14
I think the main sticking point is their heads are stuck up their own 4rses. They seem to think they will just walk in and the airport will swoon and say yes.
Oh and the contract is a tad too expensive, so the rumour goes.

terry1261
13th May 2005, 18:18
Oh, looks like we've lowered our standards

I don't think so, you've always had a 'good mix'!!

ILS 119.5
14th May 2005, 23:04
Sorry bit late reading this post, but why class A? Class A airspace is the easiest to work, I used to work it. Class D combining LARS is the most difficult, I used to work it. Bristol (if they have not found anybody already) should be looking for an experienced atco with at least 5 years fully validated (unlikely) ratings. Good look to them.

2 sheds
15th May 2005, 07:41
Quote...

"Class D combining LARS is the most difficult,..."

...and Class G combined with LARS?

This obsession with Class A/D experience seems very strange logic.

Standard Noise
15th May 2005, 08:52
Indeed 2sheds, I agree.

robbie d
17th May 2005, 09:17
How did the interviews go? When were they?

Does anyone know who the lucky winner (or winners) are?

Just curious.:D

Legs11
17th May 2005, 09:57
Just how low have the standards dropped SN? Where were your interviewees from?

robbie d, the interviews were towards the end of last week:ok:

Standard Noise
17th May 2005, 11:48
Just my little joke Legs11.
The interviewees were of a good standard so I'm told, however, I've no idea who has been chosen as I've been on leave. Suppose I'll find out on Sat when I go back in. Suffice to say, the units they all currently work at were of the standard we would want and in one case, even I was a little surprised!

robbie d
25th May 2005, 09:05
So, what unit has the new person come from?

Just trying to work out which airport will be recruiting next!

Razors Edge
26th May 2005, 10:03
probably from one of the following robbie - Bournemouth, Exeter, Jersey, East Mids or NATS TC!;)

Gypsy Queen
26th May 2005, 14:34
What? No-one from Cardiff?:hmm:

Legs11
28th May 2005, 10:59
that would be telling wouldn't it :ok:

matspart3
28th May 2005, 15:25
Surely not Legs? You'll get a reputation flitting around the Southwest like that....you'll be up here next!!:D

Razors Edge
15th Jun 2005, 08:14
Did anyone ever hear who got taken on?

Standard Noise
15th Jun 2005, 13:42
Yep, sure have.;)

Gypsy Queen
2nd Jul 2005, 11:58
I think someone from Jersey:ok:

Standard Noise
2nd Jul 2005, 20:18
You might well be correct. And he/she might well be starting in September.

360BakTrak
3rd Jul 2005, 20:06
Jersey........quite fancy a stint down there!:}

TCAS FAN
3rd Jul 2005, 21:04
LN-ATC

It appears that you were ignored. In answer to your question, at the moment you would need to hold a UK ATCO licence. Your Norwegian licence may exempt you from some of the experience requirements, but you would probably need to sit the written and practical exams.

If you go onto the Safety Regulation Group website www.srg.caa.co.uk you should be able to find link to ATSSD, which is the regulator and they will be able to advise you on exactly what is required.

Legs11
5th Jul 2005, 19:13
You might well be correct. And he/she might well be starting in September

...'bout the same time as NATS then:ok: