PDA

View Full Version : CDU setings during approach

gaga1976
21st May 2003, 02:07
If you have moment to spare, could you plese tell me your company's SOP regarding FMC CDU setting during approach, on ILS intercept hdg and after capture. Also if it is mandatory or recommended.
Thanks

BlueEagle
21st May 2003, 14:36
Moving this to the Questions forum as I think you will get a better response there.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

72jetjok
21st May 2003, 16:01
Good question....

I've only recently converted to FMC aircraft but during ILS l believe PF would usually have prog page 1 and PNF prog page 2.
Prior to the approach PF descent page and PNF prog page 1...

awaiting further comments...

BOAC
21st May 2003, 16:12
Good idea to have 1 CDU on the 'approach' page ie the one with actaul weight, Vref for different flap speeds and G/A engine parameters. Some also have Prog page 2 on the other which has wind (head and cross) on it (737) but I use the map which tells me where the local gale is and display legs on the other for any G/A

expedite_climb
21st May 2003, 17:10
Don't think we have anything written down, but many people use prog p2 to get the wind and wind components. (b757)

The Greaser
21st May 2003, 20:46
PF - Prog page 3

PNF - Init Ref

That is our SOP

calypso
22nd May 2003, 06:02
PF - Init Ref (for the speeds) SOP
PNF - Progress 3 (for the wind) not SOP

Intruder
23rd May 2003, 00:15
No SOP, but the PNF usually keeps his on LEGS, and the PF often changes to PROG 2 for wind info. 747-400.

Second Grace
12th Jun 2003, 06:37
Our SOP says: PF on Progress Page 3, PNF on Approach Ref...

But, I usually have DES page on my side - if you need to know the speed, you should have a bug card (why do people think it's clever to use a CDU to display a value that doesn't change - hasn't changed since an hour ago - when you could have useful, up-to-the-second, data about the profile?). (Moreover, why have Kalman-filtered wind information telling you what happened 30 seconds ago when you can see the ASI and IVSI NOW?!).

That said, many (especially those who haven't flown 'bus equipment) don't know about FPA and V/B, and aren't able to interpret accurately or comprehend what it's about.

One thing that winds me up a little (though in a touchy-feely, fully CRM'd, and understandingly supportive way) is FOs who, on my approach, reach across and change my CDU page without saying anything 'because it's SOP' whilst I'm using the data from the page I've selected!! Perhaps I should silently put the gear down on their approach at 2000ft 'because it's SOP'?!!

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
13th Jun 2003, 05:13
Something usefull and something different to the other one!

Chillyfly
13th Jun 2003, 06:14
Couldn't agree more with Second Grace. On the 737 'classic' I think DES is far more useful. On a non-precision approach the FPA/VB line was the crux of how I flew the entire approach. It makes them a doddle. It also tells you when the FMC thinks you should be starting to slow up on the intermediate approach, by displaying '210/FLAPS' on the Speed Restriction line. We also had an SOP of Prog page 3 on the PF side and APP Ref on the PNF side. I just used to brief the LHS instead how I wanted it set up.

On the 747-400 the DES page is less useful in terms of info, no FPA/VB line. But there again we will soon be certified to do RNP approaches in it anyway so no need!