PDA

View Full Version : Instructing and Uni

The Stude
18th May 2003, 04:41
Hey, I'm after some advice about how practical a proposition this is.

I'm about to start my uni course, and uni being what it is it's likely to be bloody expensive. Therefore I was wondering what would be involved in instructing to earn a few beer tokens while I'm there. I'd have some weekends and the holidays (long -- nearly half the year), plus a fair bit of time at weekdays (work permitting -- and who said students were slackers?). It's an Engineering degree at either Cambridge or Imperial (one needing more work than the other).

For the record, I've had my PPL since 17, and flying for a few years before that (whenever I had the money, which never was that often, heh). I think I'd quite like instructing as a) it's flying and b) I've been instructing for a fair while in the spaceys and I've always quite enjoyed that ... but am I talking (and thinking) out of my arrse? The only other thing being that I'm on a RAF Uni Bursary (which means quite a few weekends of flying with the UAS).

So, am I mad? Is this feasible? Bear in mind any money is good, and it's for flying. What would be involved -- would it be more practical to take up instructing for the NPPL (and what ever became of that)? I'm pretty happy I could balance the time commitments ... any advice? Anyone done this (or something similar)?

The Stude

BEagle
18th May 2003, 13:58
To 'instruct for beer tokens' in SEP aircraft, whether for NPPL or JAR-FCL PPL(A), you will need a CPL at least.

Remunerated instruction for the NPPL Microlight or SLMG aircraft ratings ONLY with a PPL or NPPL might be possible, suggest you explore the options with the BMAA and BGA.

Have a look in LASORS for the full requirements for FIs.

If you're doing an engineering degree at Impossible College and you're flying with the UAS, I doubt whether you'll have any spare time over the next 3 years - that includes the vacations!

The Stude
19th May 2003, 02:20
Cheers BEagle... I knew about the CPL for full PPL instructing -- I'd be up for instructing SLMG or NPPL(M) but my experience on both is severely limited! I take it there's no possibility of instructing for NPPL(A) on a standard PPL then?

What about instructing on SLMG's to build up hours for a CPL then doing PPL(A)? As you can tell I've not really looked into this too carefully (blame people sparking ideas in my head!)

I'll have a root around in LASORS (or rather, I'll try and find the bloody thing first) ...

Cheers

The Stude

blue heron
29th May 2003, 21:14
Stude,

Having done the UAS for 3 years at uni and now on the commercial side, I think it would be virtually impossible to instruct whilst balance your degree and the RAF. The UAS will demand a lot of your time and I dont think will look favorably on you instructing "civvies" at the weekend instead of lfying with them!

Unfortunately from my experience the two sides rarely mix.

Good luck and enjoy the grob!

expedite_climb
29th May 2003, 21:37
Dont think you could instruct and do UAS. (as already said).

I however did my ATPL's and instructor course in a year off. Started instructing the summer before 1st year uni, and then worked most weekends, and full time easter and summer (teaching the RAF flying scholarships).

By the end of summer that I graduated I had 2000 hrs..... (3 yr course) so yes it is possible. (Oh and I passed my degree - 2:1).

Guido
7th Jun 2003, 03:55
Bar work pays more!

Diamond 'katana' geezer
8th Jun 2003, 23:41
Stude,
Congrats on the RAF Bursary, the UAS(comes with the Bursary i guess), and the possible Cam/Imp course.

The other replies seem to be from the UAS- Uni clash, and they all are true.
I'm currently 2nd year eng stude and i really struggle to do all the work and keep a job. more often than not one suffers and when the rent is due you can guess which one!! (*Violins*:rolleyes: )
If you're at Imp/Cam you are going to have A LOT of work.
mind you Cam has huge holidays.

I have a few UAS mates and they love every second of it, but they don't like the PPL/UAS mix, too many bad habbits apparently.

Don't mean to pŁ$s on your fire, but the UAS will be more than enough flying to keep you happy, and don't you get paid on top of any bursary everytime you attend UAS?

Best of luck#
Geez :cool: