PDA

View Full Version : Question to my ATC brothers

Shaka Zulu
16th May 2003, 03:38
Just a question out of interests...
Are the ATC Stations still notoriously undermanned or is it picking up? Since we in Holland still encounter huge problems.
Advertisement doesn't help too much either. I don't get it, the pay is good, working conditions a-okay....

And are ATC Stations prepared for even busier airspace in the near future?

BALIX
16th May 2003, 04:12
Erm, yes and no is the answer I think. In that order.

Chaos Controller
16th May 2003, 07:16
It's been picking up here in Norway lately; officially we are not undermanned any more, I believe, but I think that we'll soon be again. The reason for that is the implementation of sertificates for ATCO's up here from January 1st 2004, not allowing anyone over the age of 60 to work as an ATCO. Problem is that today you don't retire untill you are 65 here, meaning that from next year everyone between 60 and 65 have to find something else to do (and all of a sudden we are unmanned again...)

Spank me baby!!!
16th May 2003, 17:23
Short-staffed in Australia again. The Team Leader's and Operations Managers are sitting at unmanned consoles that they don't hold endorsements for and the industry and higher management don't know this because NOTAMs warning of reduced services are not being issued by those Team Leaders and Operations Managers. The Board of Directors of Airservices Australia have no idea about the drain of staff and the airlines are not being informed.

Situation normal :rolleyes:

ferris
16th May 2003, 19:20
Unbelievable.

Err, actually, no it's not.

Makes you wonder if they have any idea of the legal liablity of this sort of activity. There may be no traffic, but all it takes is something like a VFR to go down, or a rogue space shuttle to plough through there (unlikely example, but you get my drift), and investigation 101;
1. Was the ATCO suitably licensed, valid, current, medical, and fit for duty.

whoop whoop, lawyerfest.

And if you are relying on some vague dispensation from the boss- I hope you have good lawyers and lots of money!

ps. How does this fit with the new 'staffing the world's consoles' advertising slogan?