PDA

View Full Version : ATPL / Instructor currency

VORTIME
15th May 2003, 05:13
Hello,

If I passed the second module of ATPL exams today and assuming I am flying for fun (i.e. club instruction), is it ever possible to get a full ATPL licence considering the 500hr multi-crew requirement (simply ambition).

On the same note, if I have 7 years to get the licence (ATPL) and after this time the exams are dismissed, does this mean by instructors rating would be affected?

Also, as a PPL holder, would I become a fATPL after getting the exams or exams+CPL flight test?

VT

Evo
15th May 2003, 16:17
As I understand it...

If I passed the second module of ATPL exams today and assuming I am flying for fun (i.e. club instruction), is it ever possible to get a full ATPL licence considering the 500hr multi-crew requirement (simply ambition).

On the same note, if I have 7 years to get the licence (ATPL) and after this time the exams are dismissed, does this mean by instructors rating would be affected?

Also, as a PPL holder, would I become a fATPL after getting the exams or exams+CPL flight test?

Assuming you've passed the flying element of the CPL as well as the CPL or ATPL theory exams, the CAA will give you a CPL. If you took the ATPL exams, once the exam credits expire you'll still have a CPL so you can still instruct for money. To get the ATPL you'll need the 500 hours multi-crew time (along with an IR etc.), and you cannot get those hours club instructing.

Neither the ATPL exam credits or the exams+CPL flight test make you a 'fATPL' - you need an IR etc. as well. The fATPL is just a (non-official) state where you meet all the requirements for the issue of an ATPL except the flight-time requirements.

BEagle
15th May 2003, 17:17
.....and don't forget that you must obtain an IR within 36 months of passing the ATPL exams or their credit will die. When you've got your IR, your exam credits stay alive for 7 years after passing or revalidating an IR.

By which time the industry will hopefully be in a healthier state than it currently is!

StrateandLevel
15th May 2003, 18:58
"On the same note, if I have 7 years to get the licence (ATPL) and after this time the exams are dismissed, does this mean by instructors rating would be affected?"

--------------------------------------------------------
The 7 years (JAR-FCL 1.495) is from the date of the last IR revalidation. Keep your Licence and IR current, and the ATPL exams are valid forever!

Or, if acting as a Flight Engineer they remain valid for 7 years from the last valid type rating