PDA

View Full Version : Burrington Radar

Wraftongate
14th May 2003, 19:01
When Burrington Primary was taken out of service we were told that it was no longer required due to
"low and predictable traffic volume".

If the reasons given were true, why is a new primary being constructed (after the demolishion of the perectly servicable original)?

Is it required for the co-sited new Mode S or is this an admission of a mistake by the beancounters at NATS ?

Wraftongate
14th May 2003, 22:27
Burrington Primary closed about 2 years ago.

Feed has been Secondary only since.

Not much web info but look at: http://makeashorterlink.com/?N24414094
for references to Burrington (page 14)

Chilli Monster
15th May 2003, 18:10
Methinks FILTONFELLA needs to re-read his MATS pt II and learn the difference between our primary and secondary feeds ;)

Both Bristol and Filton have Secondary feeds only from Burrington. But it's only used on the failure of Clee Hill (due to Burrington being c**p for us below FL45).

Minesapint
15th May 2003, 23:01
Burrington primary was removed because NATS could not afford a new head (radar!). There is no area primary cover west of the Pecos and that affects SAR. The computer systems, especially NAS, are not especially interested in primary returns. Primary is discarded when NAS is happy it has sumething that it can track. There will be two Burringtons from December (plan A) one will be a combined service and the other SSR only.

There may be other reasons why a new primary service is required but I don't know them. Unless its to cover aircraft with electrical failure that, if they lose their transponders dissapear!

45 before POL
16th May 2003, 04:20
I remember the issue of primary radar possibly being removed where NATS no longer required it 3-4 years ago, and caused a major problem with the military who needed it and they were contractually obliged to provide it....perhaps this is the reason.

flower
16th May 2003, 04:26
ChilliMonsters a hunny really, but don't tell him I said:p

DONer Kebab
16th May 2003, 21:06
I think you'll find that the truth lies somewhere between Wraftongate's and 45 before POL's comments. Whilst NATS decalared that there was no civil requirement for a PSR service from Burrington, the decision to remove the service came as a bit of a surprise to the military customer. The military area radar task to the SW of England entails providing a service, RIS/RAS within the open FIR, not just RC in the comfort blanket of CAS or the UIR. Therefore, under the terms of the NATS/MoD Contract for the provision of ATC infrastructure for the military to undertake the off-route task, primary radar is an essential requirement if a service other than a restricted SSR-only service is to be given.

Minesapint
18th May 2003, 03:56
The mil were part of the project to withdraw primary from Burrington and sited emergency/SAR and contractual obligations but SDI had its way and the thing was pulled. I fought it too but to no avail.