PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Mics

cb9002
14th May 2003, 01:24
Could any ATCOs shed light on how you deal with stuck mics on a busy frequency - what would, say, LATCC do if a frequency was blocked for ten minutes? Are alternate frequencies in the NOTAMS for aircraft?

Thanks

cb9002

flower
14th May 2003, 02:16
At a unit such as mine where you have both Tower and approach most aircraft will call up one of the units alternative frequencies. When possible we would then redirect them to a "spare frequency" until the situation is sorted.

Not to sure what they do at LACC but I would suspect the pilot would use common sense and revert back to the last frequency and advise of the problem and hopefully a "spare frequency" can be bought into use temporarily.

vintage ATCO
14th May 2003, 03:18
Shout louder. . . . .

NERC Dweller
14th May 2003, 05:43
I'm fairly sure that if the stuck mic is on the ground side the transmitter stops transmitting after a short period (10,20 seconds something like that). It then needs to be re-keyed. Not sure if this is in the transmitter or at the centres voice system

Spank me baby!!!
14th May 2003, 14:31
vintage... many years ago I was a Flight Data Officer (assistant) to a group of Procedural controllers working a Flight Progress Board (cardboard strips). One of our lady controllers was working Sector 3 (northern third of Western Australia plus ocean to the boundary of Bali and Jakarta FIR's). I remember one time when she was trying to co-ordinate with Bali and the Balinese controller couldn't understand what she was saying. So, instead of rewording it a different way or simplifying it, she started yelling exactly the same thing in a louder voice! She said the same thing over and over again, louder and louder, until finally she gave up in frustration and de-selected the satellite line.

She had a really high pitched voice and at one stage she was shrieking. Every controller in the centre had turned around to watch...

Justin Time
14th May 2003, 18:04
Hey Spank me,

That wasn't a certain wife of a "tennis coach" that left the service after one or kangaroos got loose in the top paddock was it?

:D :D :D

BALI !!!! BALI !!!! BAAAAAALLLIIIIII !!!!!!

:D :D :D

Cough
14th May 2003, 18:18
FYI - When our A/C were retrofitted with 8.33khz boxes, they came with a time delay cut out on the transmit key. Presents no problem with ATC, but a pain when you have a long conversation with the engineers...

Arkady
14th May 2003, 18:25
Vintage ATCO is not far wrong.

Although there are no set down procedures for the situation, if we have an aircraft with a stuck mike at LACC and it seemed to be an ongoing thing, we would decrosscouple the frequency and simply transmit over the top of it. Ground Tx are far more powerful than airbourne ones so you can usually have some success in getting traffic to recall on a different frequency or revert to previous. Recieved transmissions are usually unreadable so continuing on the blocked frequency is not an option. Eventually someone notices that its gone real quiet or they want descent and the freq magically clears!!

Jerricho
14th May 2003, 23:47
Hey there,

AIP approach plates have the various frequencies for the different services provided at the Airfield (GMC, Tower, Radar etc...). I have had a/c on final approch and been blocked out for what ever reason switch themselves to the tower and the the Arrivals guy call me to let me know.

Spank me baby!!!
15th May 2003, 14:28
...yep... the very same lady... :ok: