PDA

View Full Version : FAA changes pax weight guidelines

JetDriverWannabe
13th May 2003, 14:17
Apparently, the FAA has decided to change weights used calculate load and balance to at least according the the New York Times here (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/politics/13PLAN.html) .

The article is pretty long 2 pages so I can't really post it. Registration is free btw.

BEagle
13th May 2003, 16:25
Care to elucidate? The link merely invites one to register with the NY Times.

Has the FAA raised pax weight assumptions in view of the increasing incidence of Hamburger Backside seen in the US? Two acres of straining turquoise crimplene attempting to restrain buttocks the size of Brazil would seem to indicate a weight rather in excess of 190 pounds?

Hartington
13th May 2003, 16:36
It's a multi page article but here are the first two paragraphs:

"WASHINGTON, May 12 — The Federal Aviation Administration today ordered airlines that fly planes with more than 19 seats to raise the assumed average weight of each passenger by 10 pounds and the assumed weight for each checked bag by an additional 5 to ensure that their planes are not overloaded.

The notice, which was sent to all airlines, gave them 90 days to adopt the new weight rules or to conduct their own surveys of passenger and luggage weight. The actions were prompted by the January crash of a US Airways commuter plane in North Carolina that may have been within current weight limits but may still have been overloaded. The National Transportation Safety Board is set to open hearings into that crash next week. "

Same article is in Flight this week.

I've been registered with the NYT for some time and haven't suffered any SPAM etc as a result (famous last words!).

18-Wheeler
13th May 2003, 17:42
The Fast Food diet is finally catching up with the travelling public?

MAJIC9
13th May 2003, 20:56
Caught up with the public long time ago... this is just the typical government reaction time.... lagging some 10 years or so...

:D

Tex
13th May 2003, 23:35
It is interesting that the 19 seater is exempt since it was the crash of a 1900 that caused the FAA to finally react.

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2003, 23:45
I heard this on the radio this morning too and I was confused because I thought the average weight was taken to be 170lbs. Adding ten to that should be 180lbs.

170 must be a part 91 suggestion I suppose.

zerozero
14th May 2003, 03:05
...I would abolish the use of average weights. Period.

Or, maybe, I'd allow them on airplanes with a MGTOW in excess of 100,000#. Maybe.

But average weights have no place in a 19-seater.

"Step up on the scale, ma'am.":ooh:

TR4A
14th May 2003, 03:07
We use 180 winter and 185 summer. This includes their carryons.