PDA

View Full Version : Touring aircraft in Canada

Luca_brasi
12th May 2003, 19:26
Hey guys,

I am currently thinking about a 3 week long flying holiday in Canada (currently in Aus) as I have family and friends on opposite sides of the country and the flying is much cheaper over your side of the world :)

The plan is to start in Vancouver head to Vernon and then onto Labrador and Newfoundland before returning with a possible trip into Seattle. Therefore I was after a fastish and comfortable tourer, something like at Socata TB-20 Trinidad or a Cirrus SR-20. However after much searching the web I can't seem to find any that are for hire. Is this true or are there ones available for hire and I just can't find them?? Also what other alternatives are there for a touring aircraft such as the Trinidad or SR-20?? I will have about 180 - 200 hours total with about 30 of them on Bonanazas and with about 20 - 40 hours in remote area navigation. There will only be the two of us and I am planning a week before the actual trip to be in country learning rules, regs and a little about the aircraft.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance

Splork2000
13th May 2003, 00:27
You can try Canadian Flight Centre @ Boundary Bay (CZBB). They have an Arrow with Dual Nav/VOR/ILS/ADF/GPS. Centennial Flying School @ CZBB also has a C177B Cardinal with a constant speed prop that rents quite reasonable.

I think Victoria Flying Club (CYYJ) has a Trinidad but not sure of rates or kit on board. Send me a PM if you need more info.

:ok:

MLS-12D
14th May 2003, 00:52
I know that you've already surfed the internet, but in case you missed one or two schools, here is a list of Canadian flying schools (http://www.atac.ca/Learn_To_Fly/schoolindex.html) (incomplete, but not bad).

(I want) a fastish and comfortable tourer, something like at Socata TB-20 Trinidad or a Cirrus SR-20. However after much searching the web I can't seem to find any that are for hire. Is this true or are there ones available for hire and I just can't find them?? I'm sorry to say that I don't think that you're missing anything. Most schools in Canada rent relatively pedestrian airplanes like 172s, Warriors, etc. There are a few Arrows and 172RGs available for hire, but nothing like the airplanes that you've mentioned, as far as I know anyway.

My wife and I flew across Oz last year with GOANA, and had a great time. It's good to hear that you are planning a similar tour here! Before you come, I'd recommend that you establish contact with the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm), who will be able to provide you with some useful tips. Also the "members only" area of the website includes a "cross country focus" section that has many stories of flying across Canada (including at least one article on flying to Newfoundland) that might be of interest to you.

Tonic Please
14th May 2003, 05:17
www.flyvfc.com

Ask for Gerry Mants :)

SMooth skies.

Dan

Luca_brasi
14th May 2003, 06:50
Thanks heaps for the replies so far guys, they have been very helpful. That list was very helpful thanks MLS.

I haven't gotten round to emailing Gerry Mants or the COPA but I intend to very shortly and I have a few planes coming round in my head.

Instead of going for the Trinidad or SR-20 I have been thinking of doing my ME rating over in Canada (coz its so much cheaper!!) and doing my flying in a Seminole or Aztec or something similar. The other alternative is to just grab an Arrow or a Turbo Arrow in Vancouver and jump across to Newfoundland and back. What is the approximate time and/or distance from coast to coast in Canada?? It would be a great help to see if I can afford it.

The ultimate and most perfect way of spending my holiday though would be to do the Ski Rating with the 6 hours dual and 14 hours solo of ski flying. I could only imagine that it would be perfect and a real experience for my flying. Has anybody done that course or heard any stories about it?? Not only does it look fun but a good learning experience. I did have the website though now I've lost it. Once i get it back again I will post it. (The club is NorAir Flight Inc - http://www.norairflight.com/)

Thanks again for your help guys and gals and please feel free to PM me if you have any more ideas and/or tips.

Edited to add link in

MLS-12D
14th May 2003, 07:53
I don't have any firsthand knowledge about NorAir Flight, but I have seen the website and the ski flying course does look like a lot of fun. Of course, I'm sure that you are aware that ski flying is seasonal and that our winter is opposite to your's, so don't plan on this unless you're scheduling your trip for sometime 8+ months off.

I see that NorAir also offers a 20 hour float flying course for not much more money; seems like good value.

Doing your multi-rating over here might be an idea, but be aware that many places will not rent their twins on a solo basis, and those that do might not be happy to let you take the aircraft away for a week or more. Don't be discouraged, it might be possible to work something out, but expressly clarify this with the individual school before you count on anything.

MLS-12D

P.S. The rates on VFC's Socata Tampico look pretty reasonable; but of course, a Tampico is not a Trinidad. If you really want (sorry, need!) a Trinidad, this place in California (http://www.wvfc.org/index.html) has one for hire (also three different Mooneys, and a C-210), but the price is high (US$170/hr), and I hate to send you south of the border (freer flying up here!).

Splork2000
14th May 2003, 08:25
I stand corrected. VFC has a Tampico, not a Trinidad. Ah well, wasn't sure to begin with. Can't think of any other high performance planes for rent on the west coast, mostly Cessna's and Cerokees/Warriors as mentioned above.

CFC's Arrow is a nice plane with a good avionics suite on board though. $145.00/hr but they may be negotiable.

I'm not sure about distance coast to coast but it must be about 3500 statute miles. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but that is close.

Safe Flying

pigboat
14th May 2003, 09:33
Luca, if you go to Newfoundland you pretty well have to stop here (ZV) for fuel if you take the northern route outta Montreal. PM me before ya leave, I'll buy ya a beer. :D

MLS-12D
14th May 2003, 23:53
When you contact COPA, ask them to provide you with the following articles that appear in the "Cross-country Focus" section of the website:
(1) "Across Canada: VFR in a 172", by Fred Carey
(2) "Try a new experience - fly Newfoundland!", by Sue Ramsey

The "Across Canada" article says The total flight time from Pitt Meadows B.C. to Waterville N.S. was approximately 24 hours, and approximately 2500nm. (not including the little local trips in each area en-route.) Note that the author did not fly east of Nova Scotia (that's why you also need the "Fly Newfoundland!" article).

Hope this helps.