PDA

View Full Version : To instruct or not to instruct

Mintflavour
12th May 2003, 18:32
Dear all
A request for some advise, opinions and words of wisdom.
Just about to complete my ATPL theory (via distance learning) and will be commencing the CPL hopefully by the end of July.

My final goal is to fly for an airline, but at the same time I feel that instructing is something I would very much enjoy, putting something back into aviation. If I was to instruct it would be part time at weekends etc so that I could continue my current career as a project engineer, to keep the money flowing.

At the moment giving the state of the market I am unsure whether to concentrate on getting the ATPL(f) or to do a an FI straight after the CPL with the hope of getting a foot into the door sooner (I am not assuming that an FI job is going to be any easier to get than an airline job) and open up the possibility of more opportunities, although the extra 6K for the FI will be difficult to come by.

In case my age will affect your opinion I will be 28 next month.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mint

mad_jock
12th May 2003, 18:47
If you feel that you want to instruct and that you will enjoy it.

Do it.

It has its rewards, job satisfaction when you see one of your students take their first pax up.

And it has its down sides of being ****e pay and treated like dirt by some employers (not mine i might add)

I know of approximately 10 instructors who have gone airline or Biz Jets in the last 3 months so the job prospects should be getting better for next year.

It all depends on your money as usual. If you want to keep your IR and MCC money in the bank do the FIC course. But if you want to be available for airlines you will need to get them out the way.
It may be worth leaving the FIC until Jan Feb so you get it just in time for next years summer season.

MJ

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2003, 04:48
The best way to learn is to teach.

St.Hanna
17th May 2003, 07:03
It seems to me that the best way to find a good job in aviation is to know people and to have a lot of contacts. By teaching I'm spending a whole lotta time at the airport, and I have met a TON of pilots from every side of the industry.
And, as Onan says, the best way to learn really is to teach. You've got to know your stuff inside and out, and teaching definately keeps you on your toes.
The down side to teaching, for me anyways, is getting burnt out. You have about a twelve month life span, and then you need to get away for a while. But if you're not teaching full time, maybe that won't happen to you.
Best of luck!