PDA

View Full Version : 767 Landing

Sonia767
11th May 2003, 17:07
Would like to know what techniques you 763 drivers out there use to land the 763.

Have come across several methods ie different flare heights and when to chop of the power.

Please tell me what you do :ok:

Sonia

nollocks
11th May 2003, 17:56
Sonia

Have a read of your Boeing Flight Crew Training manual, the Holding, Approach and Landing section, very good description for the flare and touchdown technique.

The manufacturer usually illustrates the best technique

I. M. Esperto
13th May 2003, 00:32
I flew it for 4 months, and never once made a "squeaker" or "Grease Job".

Pilot Pete
13th May 2003, 01:50
Fly a stabilised approach to start with. Use the Rad Alt callouts as your queue for flaring. I was told count "1,2" after hearing "30" on the callouts to begin flare on a 757 and count only "1" on the 767, so you should be flaring before you hear "20".

As nollocks says though, the FCTM is very good, and one of your problems may be your description of 'chopping' the power. Boeing don't mention this, they talk of reducing power to be at idle as the main wheels touch down. Chopping it before then does lead to it dropping on to the runway.

As for greasing it, for all those others out there, especially pax, again Boeing mentions greasing it on in a roundabout way; "Do not hold off unduly attempting to make a smooth landing" What they mean is you will eat up runway at an alarming rate if you are trying to feather it on using a bit of pitch and power, also, if the power is off you start getting close to tailstrike country by unduly holding off to achieve the soft landing.

Once you transition to visual keep the aiming point fixed in the screen, flare at the right height, at the right speed and achieve the aiming point and you will touch down at the right place and it shouldn't be too hard a landing. I've not met a training captain yet who criticised the 'weight' of my landing, only if I didn't keep the 2 reds 2 whites and achieve the aiming point at the right speed. Getting them all together at the same time is the hard bit, but with a bit of ruthless honesty you can usually decide which element it was that you didn't get exactly right and which was the major contributing factor to all those complaints from the cabin crew. At least I managed to work it out and still do! If not, even if you have finished training, always ask the captain for his views, it's always easier to spot the mistakes of the PF when you're not doing the flying, do let him put his headset back on and his teeth back in before asking though!:ouch:

PP

Oh, and a quick edit to mention (I don't know how elementary you want me to get) remember that once the aiming point disappears under the nose to lift your gaze to the far end of the runway and use your peripheral vision to see the 'sink rate' onto the tarmac. This was something I found hard to do when I first started on the 75. It does work wonders though for getting the feel of when the thrust levers should be fully closed.

kabz
13th May 2003, 10:15
As a pax, I've only noticed a couple of really smooth 76 landings. In both cases, a load of power was booted in at roundout, and we floated about 5000 feet, touching down real smoothly, about the runway halfway point. (11000 foot runways at Houston and Newark).

Both cases, we exited at the end of the runway. ;)

Pilot Pete
14th May 2003, 07:37
I must be better than I thought then, that's two out of two over the last few trips...........!;) Got any training jobs going out there in the land of the free?

PP

Sonia767
14th May 2003, 15:00
Hi all,

Thanks for you replies ;)

I did have a look at my FCTM and that is basically the procedure i follow except i dont pitch up by exactly 2 degrees as stated in the manual

At 30 feet i check the descent rate and then at 10 feet gently start easing back on the power while maintaining a constant pitch attitude and more often then not the landing turns out to be :ok: (yeah right !!!)

However some people i fly with check their descent at 50' and some maybe at 20' :ooh:

Sometimes from the corner of my eyes i can see the other pilot shifting uncomfortably thinking maybe i wont flare in time.However the 30' height works for me.....

Oh yes.....one more question.Does the Rad Alt take into account the main gear height from the bottom of the fuselage ???

Sonia

Bill Boeing
14th May 2003, 22:38
Sonia,

With regards to your Rad Alt question, yes the Rad Alts are calibrated to take the flare into account. Next time you're taxiing or at the gate, have a look at the Rad Alt display on your EFIS. The figure (from memory) is -6ft. The Rad Alt Antennae are in front of the Main Gear, so raise the nose for the flare and there's your zero!

Bill

Sonia767
15th May 2003, 01:44
Hello Bill Boeing,

Youre right it is -6ft on the ground :cool:

Cheers

Sonia