PDA

View Full Version : Non-EFIS B737s

Fuctifino
9th May 2003, 09:04
Perhaps some of you B737 drivers can help me here.

I have a cockpit picture captioned B737-300 which shows the instrument panel as completely 'clockwork'. I thought the -300 had fan engines and therefore EFIS instruments. Another pic (uncaptioned) shows what looks like a partial EFIS panel.

I suspect the one captioned -300 may in fact be a -200, but as these pics (allegedly) came from Boeing's website I'm not sure.

My question is: was (is) there a 737-300 with a completely non-EFIS panel and which models have the partial EFIS panel (as opposed to the full glass cockpit of the -NGs)?

Bokomoko
9th May 2003, 10:49
Yes. Some early 737-300 had conventional (non-EFIS) instruments, but already equipped with FMS. Later, many airplanes were delivered with partial EFIS (EADI and EHSI), but with conventional 'clockwork style' engine instruments...
I'm not sure but from 89 or 90 and on all 737-300 and -400 productions had as an option between a conventional engine instruments or a new center panel display called EIS - Engine Instrument System (then regularly used on 737-500 and several -300 and -400 series, basically round format using new display and functions).
Bkmk

Fuctifino
9th May 2003, 11:30
Thanks Bkmk,

That would make sense as the 'clockwork' picture shows only one FMS on the right of the centre console, while the partial EFIS panel shows two.

Supplementary question - how does this affect type ratings? Does the -300 rating specify EFIS or non-EFIS? What about a -400 rating does that cover things like the 700/800 and BBJ2?

4Screwaircrew
9th May 2003, 16:49
I completed my simulator training on EFIS and the line training on a clock work flight deck 737-300. The type rating issued was 737-300 to 800 and when I renewed my licence last year the -900 was tacked on.

Islandsflug (the only people I am personally aware of) operate a mix of 300/400 aircraft 2 of the -300 have clock work flight deck an LPC covers them for 300/400 and both instrument presentations.

Bokomoko
10th May 2003, 02:00
Supplementary question - how does this affect type ratings? Does the -300 rating specify EFIS or non-EFIS? What about a -400 rating does that cover things like the 700/800 and BBJ2?

It ‘s hard to say because every country has its own regulations concerning airplane variants, same type rating, crew qualification, cross-crew, etc. However pilots must have a minimal differences training prior to flying both variants (it depends on what kind of previous pilot experience, so some levels of differences training are required, for example, from just a day class until hands-on training on simulator and/or real flight) and have to be current flying certain number of hours during a period of time, usually no more than 90 days. In my country pilots are not authorized to fly 737 EFIS and non-EFIS airplanes using the same type rating, but they can fly all 737 EFIS family using a single license. However they must be scheduled to fly regularly both series - 737 Classic (-300 and -500) and NGs (-700 and –800).
G'day.

FatFlyer
10th May 2003, 02:18
JAR 737-300 rating covered non EFIS & EFIS on the groundcshool, allowed to fly both types, and some with clockwork engine instruments but EFIS EADI & EHSI.
The rating covers from 737-300 to 900 series but NG differences training(usually a day or two) is required before being allowed to use the rating on the newer types. Also diff training before 40etc. 200 series is not included and is a seperate rating.
This was the JAR(UK) situation last yearwhen i did it, believe it is still the same.

Fuctifino
11th May 2003, 03:37
Thanks for the replies, it all makes sense now.

I will be starting a 737 type rating in a couple of weeks, and will be doing it on a 300. Initial research showed the variety of panels.

As I am moving up from an HS125, with its steam-driven instruments, I was worried about the EFIS aspects of maybe doing the type rating on a non-EFIS or partial EFIS panel.

Thanks again.

Herod
11th May 2003, 04:50
Don't worry too much about it. The EFIS and the FMS set-up on the classic are pretty user-friendly, and I would think you will get to grips with them fairly quickly. I'm about to do a difference check onto the NG (one day ground school, one day sim and an LPC) and I'm hoping it's as kind to me as the classic was. Good luck.

typhoonpilot
13th May 2003, 22:34
Both USAir and the original Piedmont ordered the 737-300 and -400 with analog instruments. All of those airplanes have dual MCDUs. The fleet totaled well over 125 at one time. Some have been parked in the last two years and more will be on the market in the coming years as the older ones are 15 years old or more. In the United States the 737 type rating covers all models although USAirways flew the 737-200 fleet as a separate bid.

Typhoonpilot