PDA

View Full Version : BBC 2 Tuesday 13th @ 9PM

Yellow Snow
8th May 2003, 18:14
The day Britain stopped

BBC2 are showing drama documentary about the UK's overloaded transport systems.
How it all went wrong on December 19th 2003.

The day started with the first of a series of 24-hour national rail strikes, following on from a fatal rail disaster at Waverley, Edinburgh. The strike pushed even more traffic on the roads.

By early afternoon the M25 was at a standstill following two accidents, and across the country minor incidents caused pockets of ever-growing gridlock from Scotland to the West Country.

By evening, hundreds of thousands of motorists were stranded in sub-zero temperatures and the police were forced to implement Operation Gridlock; a contingency plan intended solely for use in a humanitarian crisis.

The gridlock meant passengers were unable to make their flights and hundreds of essential workers, including doctors, nurses, pilots and air traffic controllers, were unable to reach their place of work.

Understaffed and overloaded one air traffic controller made a tiny mistake with devastating consequences.

At 22:28 the disaster many had predicted finally struck when a passenger jet collided with a Czech freight plane over Hounslow, killing all passengers and crew.

Programme website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_day_britain_stopped/default.stm)

Sounds not that far off from a normal day at the office.:uhoh:

hatsoff
8th May 2003, 21:08
He told me about the vibe or atmosphere in the control room and about the hectic social scene they have after work. A lot of the controllers end up marrying each other!

From the actress playing the controller.
How real:O

Dan Dare
8th May 2003, 21:52
Joanne Griffiths, the air traffic controller:
walking into a room full of radar screens and people appearing to talk gibberish
Sounds scarily realistic then.

Glad to see I have 19 December off, wouldn't want to be working then ;)

American midair drama earlier this year (http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/184420-1.html)

Warped Factor
9th May 2003, 00:07
From Joanne again....

The air traffic control centres I visited were smaller than the London Area Air Traffic Control Centre (West Drayton) and not usually under as much pressure. I was told that the atmosphere at West Drayton was often very intense. Most of the controllers I spoke to said they would not want to work there.

What, not even for an extra £15k? :) :)

WF.