PDA

View Full Version : I Passed!

Maxflyer
6th May 2003, 23:20
At last! After months of delays through bad wx etc., I've finally taken and passed my Skills Test..... A massive thank you to all the PPRuNers who have answered my daft questions over the months and provided useful advice and guidance. My head is spinning (how do I recover that one?) so I'll have to take large doses of alcohol to steady things!

Once again

Thanks
TJ

BlueRobin
6th May 2003, 23:23
Well done Tim!

Another HR200 PPL, which was nice... :D

iainpoll
7th May 2003, 01:20
Well done, its a day you won't forget:ok:

You know the rules, tell us all about it - the route the diversion, your screw up's etc. etc.:eek:

Was one of the best days of my life, the only appropriate way to celebrate is to embibe large amounts of alcohol, and don't go flying tomorrow:=

HelenD
7th May 2003, 01:55
Congratulations hope you celebrated well.

Saab Dastard
7th May 2003, 02:22
tmybr,

Congrats!

Word of warning though - alcohol generally CAUSES your temporary spatial cranial disorientation (head to spin) rather than fixes it! ;)

Come to a PPRuNe bash and see what I mean... :} :yuk: :zzz:

SD

knobbygb
7th May 2003, 02:47
Congratulations. What a beautiful day for it too! I was in that part of the world today and couldn't help wishing I was up there rather than down on the M1.

Maxflyer
7th May 2003, 14:29
iainpoll said You know the rules, tell us all about it - the route the diversion, your screw up's etc. etc.

OK You asked for it!

I got to the club at about 8.30 and did a bit of last minute checking on stuff like NOTAMS etc,. My examiner arrived at 08.45 and we started the brief. So far so good! Went through my flight plan -Sywell to Thetford (lots of MATZ stuff) then onto Stamford in Lincs. All planning seemed ok, so I was feeling pretty relaxed at this point. Then I went to do the weight / balance checks and I had a complete brain fade. Spent nearly 10 minutes doing something that should only take two. Still, I managed to get everything sorted and the examiner seemed happy, I really went over the top on my pre-flights, but he seemed happy about that too. Departure all ok, out of the overhead and on track for Thetford. R/T calls all ok (hey I've got this flying thing licked!) ... I couldn't read my own writing of a frequency. Fortunately I had one of those little frequency cards that come with the charts. Made my call to the Lakenheath MATZ and they told me to go to 4500' (FL45). I said that was a negative as I had to maintain VFR. They vectored me all over the place, so by the time I got back on track to Thetford all ETA's had gone out of the window. Next leg was going ok and then the examiner told me that I would be diverting from March (Cambs) to Molesworth. I planned in flight, but when I started the diversion something just didn't seem right to me. I told him that I was going to orbit while I re-checked my figures and he let me get on with it. I ended up going on the track I had originally planned (I should have more belief in myself)! Diversion worked out well, on time and accurate. Next it was foggles time. All went ok in simulated IMC. At this point we started VOR tracking. I've done this loads of times with no problems, yet during the test I was getting into a right old mess. Managed to pull things round and got away with it. After this we headed back to base and carried out stalls, spin recovery, PFL etc., then on to Sywell for various landings, touch and go's etc. Finally found myself back on Terra Firma.

I had flown for three hours and covered everything. The time went quite quickly, although I felt physically and mentally drained. My examiner made me wait through a long debrief before giving me the news - I'd done it, I'd passed. That's it I'M A BLOODY PILOT!

Only now, as it sinks in, do I realise not only what I've achieved, but how much more I have to learn about flying. Anyway, I've booked my first not student slot and can't wait to get my license from the CAA so I can take the wife up.

DRJAD
7th May 2003, 16:07
Well done indeed!!!

Sounds like you had a good, thorough GFT, and handled it well.

Welcome to the happy band (HR200, that's like an R2160 isn't it?)

Yesterday did seem, from terra firma (rather further up the M1, I suspect KGB!) to be rather good flying weather - but work sometimes gets in the way.

charlie-india-mike
7th May 2003, 16:08
Well done Tim

See you in the skies aroung Bucks/Northants someday.

C-I-M

iainpoll
7th May 2003, 19:20
Wow - well done indeed, sounds like a VERY thorough test!

Did you have to do a spin recovery? I didn't know that was required, or was it recovery from a spiral dive?

Enjoy, and make sure your paper work is all in order before you send it to the CAA (by registered mail, or preferably in person).

:ok: :ok:

PPPPP
8th May 2003, 06:04
Well done tmybr, I bet it seems a doddle now though:)

Holloway
8th May 2003, 17:12
Well done, I passed mine last week and was a lot easier than urs sounded :) Best of luck with the CAA, still waitin for mine :(

simon brown
9th May 2003, 00:04
tmybr

A hearty congratulations.I know the feeling when you land having coped with various situations. Its a tremendous confidence booster. It always helps to have that slight apprehension before you go, its an aid to self preservation.

I had to divert on the last leg back to Gloucester on mine due to weather . Sat it out for an hour at Halfpenny Green, had a cup of tea, had a chat to a nice man whom let me have a look at his YAK and was then on my way.

Now im going to have to find another source of income to fuel my aviating habit.

SB