PDA

View Full Version : Solent Zone Transit Query

Saab Dastard
6th May 2003, 20:48
Can anyone give me an idea of what altitude Solent ATC are likely to require you to be at to transit their zone routing E-W Bishops Waltham - Romsey (and, indeed routing W-E on the way back)?

Thanks

SD

Evo
6th May 2003, 20:52
Oooh, you can guess what i'm gonna say... ;)

rustle
6th May 2003, 21:22
Well you're going straight through their hold (on that routing) which has a lowest hold altitude of 2000', so it depends how busy they are ;)

Whenever I have been through it has been at Alt 4000' (on their QNH) whatever direction I have been going - so I would expect that altitude :)

Just don't tell them you know Evo :rolleyes:

pulse1
6th May 2003, 21:28
On Sunday they were clearing people through at altitude 3000'. Sometimes I have been instructed to decend to 3000' for transit. As rustle says, it depends on how busy they are and whether they know Evo is around or not.

rustle
6th May 2003, 21:33
and whether they know Evo is around or not

Someone may have told them he'd driven to Farnborough on Sunday so it was okay to let hordes of VFR traffic through the zone ;)

Pilotage
6th May 2003, 21:53
They've always given me something within about 500ft of my height when I call up - usually somewhere in the bracket 2000-3000.

P

Evo
6th May 2003, 22:10
I've had the same experience as Pilotage, along with instructions to advise if having problems maintaining VMC. When they've let me through (which is more often than not! :p ). Might be worth planning an alternative route though ;) 1800ft along the Solent is nice :)

QDMQDMQDM
6th May 2003, 22:15
Will Bournemouth and Solent let low-level stoogers like me route along the coast at not above 1500 feet? THat's what they used to do, once upon a time.

QDM

pulse1
6th May 2003, 22:22
There's nothing they can do to stop you as you are outside CAS. Sometimes Solent are to busy to give you a FIS though and they will tell you to standby until you've passed by. Bournemouth will usually give you one as far east as Cowes when you can go up a bit if you want.

If it is hectic you can be so busy looking for other aircraft that it rather defeats the object of taking the scenic route.

QDMQDMQDM
6th May 2003, 23:16
There's nothing they can do to stop you as you are outside CAS.

No, goes right thru the Bournemouth zone and then clips Solent.

Take your point though.

QDM

Dufwer
7th May 2003, 00:05
By routing Stoney Cross, Lymington, Cowes under 2000' you can get through underneath controlled airspace. However to prevent busting the zones it makes sense to give Bournemouth or Solent a shout to get the correct QNH. I've not had any problems with either of them when flying in those parts.

D

Saab Dastard
7th May 2003, 02:17
Cheers all, thanks for the info.

EVO - LOL :) :D

SD

HelenD
7th May 2003, 02:38
I have had no trouble with Solent but I guess thats because I fly Southampton based aircraft. I did read somewhere or hear somwhere think it was in RT training material that idf you sound proficient you should get cleared through if not you will be asked to remain clear.

Evo
7th May 2003, 02:59
My RT is fine - most of the time, anyway :) I've just had some bad luck with Solent... I hope :)

SlipSlider
7th May 2003, 22:02
I have transitted Solent zone several times in "negative-squawk" Champ, every time at 2,500 ft via the overhead, and have always received an excellent service. On one trip from Old Sarum to a strip just in the eastern zone boundary, on a beautiful day, I felt like taking the scenic route via Stoney Cross, Lymington, and then along the Solent and Portsmouth harbour before entering at Bishops Waltham - Solent actually offered me a direct crossing ! (sorry Evo... :) )

Slip

Irv
8th May 2003, 18:18
I've found it very rare to be refused E-W/W-E at EGHI - I've always been offered 2500 unless someone is coming t'other way at that alt, when 3000' is offered instead.