PDA

View Full Version : PPL Nav Exam

Distinctly Average
6th May 2003, 01:30
PPL Navigation Exam - I will be sitting the Nav paper next weekend, and would appreciate any tips people can share?

Although I've read Pratt, I remember someone mentioning that the questions in the Confuser for Nav, are considerably different to those in the exam?

Can people confirm this or give me some ideas of what to expect? Much appreciated....

HelenD
6th May 2003, 02:00
When I did my Nav exam I had trouble finding the places given on the map, this was because I was reading and using the coordinates given like you do on a walking map. I spent most of my time finding the points and drawing the route. Once I had found and drawn the route the questions were realitivly OK. You will have various problems to solve with the whiz wheel like finding heading and groundspeed and finding the wind strength and direction. I guess you are fully conversant with how to get any point in the triangle with the whiz wheel from appropriate given information if not postpone the exam as this makes up a fair bit of the test. The other thing you will need to know fairly well is the radio navigation theory like beacon types and categories. Think there may also be a diversion related question and one on fuel calculation.
I diddnt use the confuser for the nav as I couldnt understand it though I understood what was written in Thom

Good luck if you know your map and radio nav theory well you should be ok

Evo
6th May 2003, 02:27
Learn how to plan a flight from A to B via C, with D as a diversion. Learn to use the whizz-wheel (edit: use it accurately - some of the potential answers are quite close, so you'll need to be precise). That's all you need to pass, the rest is just the difference between 90% and 100%.

Confuser was identical in style to my Nav exam, but the questions were different (unlike Human Factors, where the Confuser was almost a photocopy of the exam). If you can do the Confuser Nav exam you'll be fine.