PDA

View Full Version : Are Hard Landing Required to Be Reported to FAA?

pcascio
4th May 2003, 22:03
On landing at Hartford on Friday (Embraer flown by Chataqua (sp?)/America West from Columbus.), I, as a passenger, experienced what I believe was a near-auger event and would like to have your interpretation.

In brief, we had a bone-jarring impact of the main gear in a vertical drop that I would estimate was at least several feet.

So hard was the landing that, when I looked at the flight attendant facing me from my third row seat, he was shaking his head from side to side and appeared quite shaken. He later said it was "only his second landing," I assume he meant the co-pilot?

Had I the presence of mind, I would have pursued an explanation, but the cockpit doors stayed closed as I exited, and we did "walk away," so I guess the landing met some minimal standard.

But In retrospect, it seems to me this plane should have been inspected before flying again.

Anyway, I would sure appreciate an opinion on what I might have done, or should still do, as a passenger and what the Captain's responsibilities are. Any harder and I think the landing gear may have broken. I've been flying regularly for years and have never experienced such a landing. Weather was good with little or no wind.

Thanks for taking time to respond

Iain
5th May 2003, 01:28
I say let the captain handle it. He has been flying for years, and will know if any action would be needed (i.e. if the aircraft needed an inspection), it is just part of his job!! One thing pilots dislike is know it all passengers, you are so far out of the loop (especially with the drinks they serve you) down the back you really can not tell what is going on!

Captain Airclues
5th May 2003, 02:25
I think that you are being unjust Iain. Most SLF are able to recognise a bone-shattering arrival when they experience it.

To answer your question pcascio; All airlines have very strict rules about the reporting, and subsequent actions after a heavy landing. The maintenance action will depend on the aircraft type and the severity of the impact, and varies between a visual inspection to a complete structural integrity check including removing appropriate panels. Different aircraft types have different maximum 'g' limits which generally are between 1.6g and 2.0g.

Most modern aircraft have an system called ACMS, which will automatically send a report to the maintenance HQ of the airline. It will also give a printout of the 'g' readings if the maximum levels were exceded. The heavy landing will also be recorded on the CMC (Central Maintenance Computer) so there is no point in trying to deny it.

I'm sure that the crew in your case would have taken the appropriate action as it is in their interest as well as yours to ensure that the aircraft has been checked.

Hope this helps

Airclues

Tinstaafl
5th May 2003, 08:14
Aircraft certification rules also require a reasonably severe ability to take punishment. As I recall it, it's something equivalent to a fair number of feet straight drop.

PaperTiger
5th May 2003, 10:07
To answer the original question - no, hard landings per se are not reportable to the FAA.
From 49 CFR 830§ 830.5 Immediate notification.

The operator of any civil aircraft, or any public aircraft not operated by the Armed Forces or an intelligence agency of the United States, or any foreign aircraft shall immediately, and by the most expeditious means available, notify the nearest National Transportation Safety Board (Board), field office1 when:

(a) An aircraft accident or any of the following listed incidents occur:

(1) Flight control system malfunction or failure;

(2) Inability of any required flight crewmember to perform normal flight duties as a result of injury or illness;

(3) Failure of structural components of a turbine engine excluding compressor and turbine blades and vanes;

(4) In-flight fire; or

(5) Aircraft collide in flight.

(6) Damage to property, other than the aircraft, estimated to exceed $25,000 for repair (including materials and labor) or fair market value in the event of total loss, whichever is less.

(7) For large multiengine aircraft (more than 12,500 pounds maximum certificated takeoff weight):

(i) In-flight failure of electrical systems which requires the sustained use of an emergency bus powered by a backup source such as a battery, auxiliary power unit, or air-driven generator to retain flight control or essential instruments;

(ii) In-flight failure of hydraulic systems that results in sustained reliance on the sole remaining hydraulic or mechanical system for movement of flight control surfaces;

(iii) Sustained loss of the power or thrust produced by two or more engines; and

(iv) An evacuation of an aircraft in which an emergency egress system is utilized.

And it probably wasn't a hard landing just an 'elevated flare' ;) Not that I ever did one of course.

Ozzy
5th May 2003, 11:14
I'de be with Iain on this one if he weren't a student.

Ozzy

Memetic
7th May 2003, 07:24
I say let the captain handle it. He has been flying for years, and will know if any action would be needed (i.e. if the aircraft needed an inspection), it is just part of his job!! One thing pilots dislike is know it all passengers, you are so far out of the loop (especially with the drinks they serve you) down the back you really can not tell what is going on!

No professional likes to be second guessed by a lay person but if a passenger asked if the landing was hard I would hope that a professional would take the time to explain that although the landing may have been heavier than they had experienced previously that there was no danger. (Assuming a polite enquiry and ignoring realities such as turnaround time etc!)

Or if in command Iain would you prefer all the "know it all's" down the back keep quite having spotted say a loose inspection panel on a wing, smoke in a toilet or fellow passenger setting light to their shoes?

(Edited for spelink pistakes.)