PDA

View Full Version : Instructing On Complex Singles

noblues
4th May 2003, 01:55
Does anyone know what I must do to instruct on a complex single (ie. vp prop, and retracts like an arrow) ?

I am an FI with >1000 instructing time .......

What CAA/JAR doc contains such information ....

It used to be simple a few years ago !

Thanks

juggernaut
4th May 2003, 03:59
As far as I am aware, its hidden in JAR section 11, to teach under JAR you must hold at least the rating. There is no complex type CLASS rating. If you do not already hold a complex type rating then you must receive a briefing and adequate training. No hours laid down, just get your log book signed. Then you are allowed to teach on that complex type. Last year I gave a briefing on superchargers and VP props to a PPL about to fly the yak 50 (single seater), this was deemed enough by the CAA. Its hard to find this type of information I agree.

StrateandLevel
5th May 2003, 04:41
JAR FCL1.310 Subpart H

All instructors shall hold at least the licence, rating and qualifications for which instruction is being given (unless specified otherwise) and shall be entitled to act as pilot in command of the aircraft during such training.

So to teach on a SEP for any of the specified differences:

Retractable U/C
Superchargers/Turbochargers
VP Prop
Presurisation
Tailwheel

then you must have been signed up for that difference, unless you flew aeroplanes with that difference prior to 1 July 1999 (granfather rights).

noblues
5th Jun 2003, 05:03
Does this mean I must have a 'sign of' as a seperate Cert Of Experience on such a type (a Turbo Arrow in question) before I can instruct on it ?

I have flown complex twins (ie. retracts and VP props) pre 99, but not for numerous years .... would a 'recencey' flight be good enough .... or must I fly with an examiner on type and do a whole skills test ?

Thanks for the comments.

pilotbear
5th Jun 2003, 06:59
What aircraft did you do your CPL test on?:)

GT
5th Jun 2003, 17:56
noblues,

"I have flown complex twins (ie. retracts and VP props) pre 99..." then you have pre-JAR grandfather rights through what you had flown then. No sign-off necessary. Just do whatever re-training you feel you require for the type that you are going to instruct on, although your privileges are class specific, not just type, i.e. SEP (Land) etc.

Regards GT.

noblues
8th Jun 2003, 03:33
Thanks GT - that clears it up.

PS : pilot bear - my CPL was on a fixed prop single, but IR was on a light twin with retracts and VP prop .

I do fly commercially on 'rather larger a/c' that do have wheels that go up and down and large rounds things on each wing that make a lot of noise, but doubt that this gives me any concession with the mad JAR rules for SEP instructing on complex types with my FI rating !

pilotbear
8th Jun 2003, 22:28
Has anyone actually asked the all knowing ones down at Battleship Grey House?:cool:

noblues
9th Jun 2003, 02:57
Pilotbear - Yeah I have emailed the CAA (Cancel All Aviation) but don't recieve a reply, probably becuase they don't know the answer themselves !

Stan Evil
9th Jun 2003, 03:16
Why not look here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_F.pdf

or Subpart F of here:

http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/42/20/422078/422078.pdf

rather than hypothesising.

Differences training on an SEP is valid indefinitely and is covered by pre-99 grandfather rights. Differences training on an MEP is valid for 2 years but is extended automatically by staying in flying practice on the 'difference'. ME differences cascade down to SEPs (so if you're a current 737 pilot you get pressurisation and retractable gear for your SEP).

noblues
9th Jun 2003, 05:54
Stan Evil - Thanks, thats it in black and white on your CAA doc link.

I didn't know SEP differences were valid indefintely, makes life easier.

PS : Useful dutch JAA link, why cant the CAA post JAA stuff on their web site ?

BEagle
9th Jun 2003, 14:51
Because if they did, then no-one would buy the very expensive documents from Documedia......