PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Berck-Sur-Mer

Fujiflyer
4th May 2003, 01:31
I'm intending to fly cross channel on Friday (9th May) and for a change want to visit the airfield at Berck sur Mer which is about 8nm south of Le Touquet. I am a regular visitor to Le Touquet and fairly familiar with VFR in France however just wanted to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip.

I intend to fly to Le Touquet first in order to clear Customs as well as practice a few ILS approaches (IMC renewal the following week) :ouch: Then on to BsM. On return I will once again land at LFAT to clear Customs (outbound). I have the basic airfield info' for BsM from Nav2000.com.

:)

Thrifty van Rental
4th May 2003, 01:58
Berck is a lovely airfield with a small friendly club there.

They are not so particularly used to seeing visitors, and there is nothing at all to do once you have land, except to take-off again. I suppose you could walk into town and to the beach, but it is quite a long way, and the beach at Le Touquet is more extensive.

A long time ago, there used to be a Lockheed Super Constellation parked on the far side of the airfield near the Bagatelle amusement park, but that has gone now.

Fujiflyer
4th May 2003, 02:14
Thrifty van Rental, thanks for your fast reply. I passed BsM a few weeks ago by car on the way back to Le Touquet airport and thought it looked nice for a visit. It is also conveniently close to the Carrefour supermarket... ;)

I was really just trying to get an insight into any local procedures for flying there such as prefered circuit patterns, radio procedures (presumably Le Touquet TWR, then Unicom???)

Thrifty van Rental
4th May 2003, 03:03
It is quite a few years since I flew to Berck. Your post has prompted me to go back there.

I should suggest that you give them a call before your flight and get details of any activities planned for the field on the day of your arrival.

French airfields can often spring surprises on you such as Aeromodelism competitions and local flyins, and you will not find out about them without a conversation.

Brush up your French and have a chat with them. You will get a much warmer reception and make a few friends.

Some of us even speak English badly!:O

Archard
5th May 2003, 05:04
Just a point about the Le Touquet ILS in that when we were there last Wedenesday it did not seem to be working. The airport was very quiet with about ten aircraft maximum parked on the apron, so perhaps it is not switched on on clear days with little traffic. I suppose we could have queried its apparent unserviceability, but would there have been enough time for it to be be activated when on final approach?! You may wish to establish the position before your trip on the 9th.

I hope this might be of some help, Paul A.

Thrifty van Rental
5th May 2003, 06:17
Archard - in a phrase - don't forget to check the NOTAMS.

All sorts of secrets are hidden in them :D