PDA

View Full Version : Engine post shutdown overtemp/fire

arff
3rd May 2003, 23:00
During engine shutdown, when residual jet fuel doesn't drain from the drain tube, it pools in the hot section as the engine is winding down following throttle cut-off, and this situation may create a core engine fire. In order to suppress such a fire (on a two engines aircraft) what will be the best course of action ?

Someone indicated to us that in order to suppress the fire, the #2 engine should be run up past 85% (if we're shutting down the #1) and spin the #1 turbine with crossbleed air until the fuel drains and fire goes out. Or, in the case of shutting down the #2 engine after the #1 is already off, we'd crank up the APU and do the same thing. Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rumble
4th May 2003, 21:40
I fly CRJ & the drill for post shutdown fire is to dry motor the engine as you suggest above.
You therefore get air through but no fuel or ignition.
This relies on you having the APU running as you shutdown (we always do but I know some operators dont)
If this doesn't work then it's into the fire drill with extinguishers & evacuations.
It's not really a player to start running an engine up to 85% to do a cross bleed just after you have pulled on to stand as there will be people around outside the aircraft.
It's probably almost as quick to start the APU.
Or Put the bottles into it. Your decision on the day.

mono
6th May 2003, 07:18
Quite correct,

The procedure for a jet pipe or eng core fire is to dry motor the engine. If that does not work then the other way to put it out is to get your local friendly fire man to discharge an extinguishant down the jet pipe! No chemicals or powders and no liquids, just good old CO2. Anything else will cause either blade contamination or thermal shock to the turbine blades.

However, the use of on board fire bottles will NOT extinguish a tail pipe or core fire. You will just discharge a load of halon around the outside of the engine (and punch a good sized hole in the ozone layer :} )

What ever you do don't panic. Let the starter operate for its full duty cycle, before putting anything down the back. The fire will look a lot worse than it really is!

There is one other method if putting out a jet pipe fire, but it takes a brave man to do it. I've only seen it done once, on a B707 JT3. The starter duty cycle had expired and there was still a raging inferno at the back of the engine. So the engineer in charge fought fire with fire and put fuel in!!! After light up there was a 20 foot flame out of the back end but then it was allowed to stabilise and after about 10 minutes at idle a normal shutdown was achieved. Rather him than me:D