PDA

View Full Version : Airships!?

MikeSamuel
2nd May 2003, 21:06
I was thinking how little airships ever seem to be mentioned around here/in the GA community as a whole.
I think they are fascinating, and would like to see an airship operation/flight sometime...
Does anyone here have any involvement with them or know who operates them in the UK...?
I'm talking powered craft here rather than hot air ballons...You know, the ones that normally have "Goodyear" painted on the side!!!

Cheers...

BlueRobin
2nd May 2003, 21:14
Hiya Mike,

I do know that they are a rare breed of pilot these airshippers. Past boating, helicopter and balloon experience is useful...it's combines all three disciplines. Then to get the licence, you must be able to pay for a fair few pairs of hands to handle the rope stays. Not a poor man's game by any means.

I think there's a place up Leicester way that does them. Curiosuly Cardington still hs a R-area surrounding it but no airships.

I'm quite surprised too that no-one ever gets into ballooning. I imagine it must be accessible, surely?

Maxflyer
2nd May 2003, 21:25
Might be worth checking this site out. Hope it helps

Tim

http://www.aht.ndirect.co.uk/airships/

FlyingForFun
2nd May 2003, 21:25
My ex-housemate's ex-boyfriend is an ex-airship pilot. (I wonder if I could get the word "ex" into a sentence more times if I tried?) When Lotto rebadged themselves and ran a massive advertising campaign, the airships they used were based at White Waltham, so my ex-housemate's ex-boyfriend arranged with his ex-colleague for a small number of people to ride along. Sadly this was limited to the CFI and some other instructors at the club, so I didn't get to go... not sure how to suggest going about getting yourself a ride.

As for balloons, BlueRobin, one of our own is very much into ballooning - RTFM. I'm sure he'll post when he sees this thread!

FFF
--------------

Circuit Basher
2nd May 2003, 21:58
FFF - not enough "ex's", I think!!

One of the gliding instructors at the gliding school (where I go most weekends) was an airship CPL for many years. Due to reducing requirements, he let it lapse, but has now been asked whether he wants to become current again. He's currently considering going out to Florida to refresh his skills, where I believe a company that employs clean living young ladies (run here by a chap called Branson!! ;) ) is chartering out an airship or two.

His day job is flying fixed wing air ambulances in the Western Isles of Scotland for Logan Air!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd May 2003, 22:04
We get a lot coming into Barton, based there a few days to cover footie matches etc.

I think it's fairly easy to blag a ride - just hang around and ask the pilot. But be advised once up they stay up for hours - and they are unheated. And there's no loo.

I once blagged ride on one which was moored on the south side at Manch (remember that? It's 24L / 06R now). We got off the mast, but the wind was blowing us towards the runway. The controller could see what was happening and held a jet at the hold until we got clear, but our Blimpsman bottled out and put it back on the mast. So I have flown in one - about 30 feet out and the same back, and about 6 feet up.

They'll never catch on.

SSD

TheKentishFledgling
3rd May 2003, 01:04
My cousin owns "Kent and Canterbury Balloons", who are the big ballooning boys down here in Kent.

He's said the main reason it's not as popular, is the expense and time it takes up.

tKF

Mike Cross
3rd May 2003, 02:02
Martyn Gregory's book "Dirty Tricks - British Airways' secret war against Virgin Atlantic" has a nice pic of the London Eye when BA were having difficulty raising it to an upright position. Overhead is flying the Goodyear Blimp hired by the bearded one, carrying a very large sign "BA Can't Get it Up!!"

sorry - couldn't resist it.

Mike

QDMQDMQDM
3rd May 2003, 03:10
Anyone interested in airships should buy this book about the Zeppelins, which I've just finished reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000653225X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-1492792-0428428

Imagine the round the world Graf Zeppelin flight in 1929 -- amazing.

QDM

javelin
3rd May 2003, 16:22
Jumped out of them twice over Cardington for some demo shots - very strange. Running in at 35 knots and 3,000', falling backwards with 2 cameras on my head watching my mates track past me Mmmmmmm :cool:

Red Spitfire Driver
3rd May 2003, 22:26
If you want to know more about (modern) airships, and how to fly them, look at this site;

www.lightships.com

There has been a downturn in the use of airships since 9/11. There were crippling restrictions to US based airship operators (no flying over urban areas/no public events etc).
The 'Great American Public' consider that an airship could be crashed into a building and explode causing death and destruction. Little do they realise that the airship is filled with non flamable gas, and will not 'crash in flames' - it will probably bounce off!!
Lots of 'public events' are in fact safer having an airship overhead. The airship being a visible platform for the security forces. Airships have a long 'loiter' time over any site, are quieter than aircraft or helicopters and provide stable platforms for cameras and other security devices.
An airship was used an the Olympics at Sydney, so succesful was it that there it has been written into the security requirements for the Olymics in Athens that an Airship MUST be present for the use of the security forces.

As to books to read. If you are looking to buy books on airships/balloons e mail me for a list.

Cheers RSD

wet wet wet
4th May 2003, 19:22
Blue Robin, Cardington still builds airships! Check out www.airship.com. Incidently, the restricted area there is due to the regular launching of captive balloons, I believe for met observations.

ozplane
5th May 2003, 21:42
I was down at Friedrichshafen for Aero 2003 and having a quiet beer on the promenade when a gentle buzzing noise overhead materialised as a Zeppelin NT. Quite spooky but I gather they do pleasure flights over the Bodensee for paying guests. There is also the Zeppelin Museum in the town which is very interesting. Ryanair go there direct from Stansted so it's all very easy. The Zeppelin works is on the airfield and they seem to be set up for visitors. Hope this helps.