PDA

View Full Version : Levels of FI

Cool_Hand
2nd May 2003, 20:14
Just a quick couple of questions to satisfy my curiousity...

What are all of the levels of Flight instructing? I know of FI(R), FI unrestricted, I assume there is a multi rating, aerobatics, instrument, CPL, IMC. I don't know whether these are encompassed under a rating or one rating covers many etc. are some of them not necessarily ratings just a progression. I assume examiners ratings are a different kettle of fish.

How many hours on average would you expect/actually fly a year as an instuctor? I'm talking ballpark figures.

What would be your preferred training aircraft? this doesn't have to be the current popular training aircraft. Can be slingsby firefly, cirrus, any piper, any cessna, biplane? any aircraft but please bearing in mind I am talking PPL/CPL training so no citations, gulfstreams, boeings etc.

What is the instructor full time (part-time)/ aircraft ratio at your school?

Thanks in advance.

Cool_Hand

StrateandLevel
2nd May 2003, 21:16
Instructor ratings are listed in JAR-FCL 1.305 and are divided into categories: (A) = Aeroplane

FI(A) Flight Instructor
TRI(A) Type Rating Instructor
CRI(A) Class Rating Instructor
IRI (A) Instrument Rating Instructor
SFI (A) Synthetic Flight Instructor

Each category represents a different rating, all of which can stand alone or in some cases can be combined.

JAR-FCL 1.330
The FI(A) starts of as a FI(Restricted) and on removal of the restriction becomes a FI(A) the unrestricted rating.

additional privileges can be added to the FI rating:

Applied IF, equivalent to IRI with different entry requirements for IMC training.

Class Rating Multi Engine, entry requiremens similar to CRI.

Aerobatics

Flight Instructor Course (FIC) Instructor.

There are some anomalies in that the UK national system used to apply "limitations" to the basic FI rating, whereas the JAA system adds privileges to the basic FI rating. The CAA computer is still programmed with the old system!

If you are a FI, you don't need to become a CRI or IRI as these are included in extensions to the FI privileges. An IRI or CRI is a stand alone qualification with limited privileges.

There is no Examiner Rating; it is an Authorisation.